Digital to Analog TV Converter Boxes

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I tried a couple of searches to see if anyone had discussed this topic but I didn’t find anything. Everybody probably knows by now that analog broadcasts are changing over to digital broadcasts in February 2009. The government will issue you two cupons (credit cards)(Google-converter boxes for government site) for two converter boxes for $40 each. I bought two boxes from Dish Network for $40 each, and from the limited internet search I did, they are supposed to be pretty good. All I paid for was $23 for shipping and I have two boxes. I have got a couple of old TVs in the bedrooms that aren’t hooked up to satellite so I am good. I don’t know how long the government will be giving out coupons, but I think at the price it is a can’t lose proposition. My hunch is that a lot of the public will miss out on the deal and be totally surprised when analog shuts down. If that happens, you might be able to sell the converter boxes and make a few bucks for your trouble. Anyway, I highly recommend picking up the cupons and a couple of boxes, unless all your analog TVs are on cable or satellite.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the info. I remember at least a couple of threads on this topic here, but I don't remember how long ago they were. I got one coupon, but it expired before I found a converter that I liked. I might get one later on. I couldn't find any with digital audio outputs that were eligible for the coupons.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I only have a surround sound setup in the living room with an HDTV. I didn't look for digital output jacks because the boxes were just going into bedrooms using the built-in television sound. Maybe someone else looked deeper into it and can chime in.

C

cl35m

Banned
How long does it take to get the coupons?

I must have put the request in online 2-3 weeks ago and haven't received them.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
How long does it take to get the coupons?

I must have put the request in online 2-3 weeks ago and haven't received them.
You'll receive them pretty soon. It took me about a month to 6 weeks to get mine. There's no rush. Believe me--had I received mine later I could've gotten some of those decent Channel Master converter boxes rather than the so, so Insignia ones I have now.

J

Jacko123

Audiophyte
thanks

Thanks for filling us in on the coupons. I am gonna get me some!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis