W

watsonville

Enthusiast
When there is a Digital Out for PCM or Dolby 5.1 ect. for units that have left and right outputs to the respecting inputs on an AV Recieving, is it necessay to connect these analog left and right cables.
These Digital Outputs can be Coax or Optical.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
When there is a Digital Out for PCM or Dolby 5.1 ect. for units that have left and right outputs to the respecting inputs on an AV Recieving, is it necessay to connect these analog left and right cables.
I only connect the digital out from player to the corresponding digital in on my AVR one Quality RCA from Mono and thats it, works perfectly like that minimal connections and quality sound.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you're connecting a digital output on your source to a digital input on your receiver you don't need the red/white analog interconnect.

You most likely can use one leg of an analog interconnect for a digital coaxial connector, though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you want audio using Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 of a receiver, it's common to need an analog signal from the source because many receivers don't convert from digital to analog for this purpose. Otherwise, the D/A converter in a mid-price receiver is probably better than the one in a low or moderately priced CD or DVD player.

W

watsonville

Enthusiast
Gentllemen, Thank you for you replies. I thought that to be the case. Now...I just got a new Integra DTR 50.1 I replaced my Marantz SR8200. The Marantz had a Coax/Optical Digital Output of which I could connect my Harmon/Kardon CDR Recorder by virtue of the other Digital inputs from other souces. The Integra does not have a Digiital Output. So if I want to record something on a Music CDR Disc, I will need the White/Red (Left/Right) inputs to the Integra to record in an Analog format from the other devices. Any suugestions, other than taking a Digital output from other devices to the Digital input to the Harmon/Kardon's Digital input. Can I use Y-Cables to split off one to the Harmon/Kardon input and one the the respesctive input to the Integra.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis