Digital controls...why the hell not?

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I have a Klipsch RW 12d 5 year old sub....decent, but not the best.....but, love the top mounted digital controls. You can adjust everything by leaning slightly and using an LCD screen on top of the unit. It just makes sense. I have also programmed to my Harmony remote, but frankly, so easy to adjust quickly from screen on top. I wonder why most subs still require you to crawl on you knees and in most cases move the damn unit to make adjustments on the rear. You wouldn't consider at TV that required you to pulled it away from the wall and make adjustments on the rear every time. Why are subs still that way in the wireless era?
Klipsch rw 12d.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Because you shouldn't be adjusting it :) Get it right during calibration (both the sub itself and the cal) then use settings on the AVR/Processor side to tweak. Plus it is an added cost to remote those controls on the sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I rarely change a setting on the sub itself after setup except perhaps level and I do that from the avr. The controls on the RW12d are nice (I still have mine as well) but its rare I access the dsp on it even using my Harmony. I do believe there are some others with such wireless access features but think they're generally further up the food chain. Then again my main subs are diy passive boxes, separate rack amp/dsp.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Convenient controls lead to temptation from meddling kids, that's one good reason not to have them in some situations. And, yeah, for the vast majority of cases you should calibrate the sub once, and pretty much leave it there unless there's some change to the system or big change to the room.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
My SVS has digital controls. I've used them, ummm, once.
My Rythmik has analog controls. I've used them, ummm, once.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I like to refer to that as being "a solution in search of a problem."

:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis