C

civx

Audiophyte
I know that this topic must have been discussed before but I am a newbie here. I'm useing a regular RCA cable to connect my DVD to the receiver via the digital coaxial output. How bad is this? Must I use a digital coaxial cable instead?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The only requirement for a digital coaxial cable is that the cable has a characteristic impedance of 75 Ohm. In the old days, regular audio cables often were 50 Ohm. Nowadays, nearly all cable are 75 Ohm and are interchangeable (its cheaper for the manufacturer to just make all the same cables and simply change the color coding on them).

Short answer is your rca cable will probably work just fine.

Dumar

Audioholic
civx said:
I'm useing a regular RCA cable to connect my DVD to the receiver via the digital coaxial output.
Just wondering what you mean by "regular" RCA cable. What does it look like and where would you normally use it if it wasn't connected to your DVD?

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
civx said:
I know that this topic must have been discussed before but I am a newbie here. I'm useing a regular RCA cable to connect my DVD to the receiver via the digital coaxial output. How bad is this? Must I use a digital coaxial cable instead?
It will be fine. Digital coax and regular RCA cables are more or less the same thing.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I guess about the only thing I personally do is make sure I am using a video cable. The 'cheap' cables that come with your A/V gear quite often have really wimpy audio interconnects (red & white RCA ends) and then use a halfway decent video interconnect (yellow RCA ends). I would go ahead an use the yellow cable as I know that should be 75ohms, while the audio cables may not be. Plus, if it is a little bit thicker and better shielded, it could help protect the sound quality a little more.

C

civx

Audiophyte
Dumar said:
Just wondering what you mean by "regular" RCA cable. What does it look like and where would you normally use it if it wasn't connected to your DVD?
My regular rca cable is a Monstr Cable interconnect but intended for audio, and not digital as they are abt 10 yr. old and those days there weren't digital audio outputs.
Thanks, BMXTRIX, I will change to one of my spare 75 ohm video cable (Audio Technica).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
civx said:

Is it working now? Are you getting sound out, no drop outs? If so, you are fine witht he cable you have. After all, even a coat hanger would work :D

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
Is it working now? Are you getting sound out, no drop outs? If so, you are fine witht he cable you have. After all, even a coat hanger would work :D

What I want to know is, does Lirpa Labs make a coaxial interconnect? Or a at least a coat hanger? And if so where can I buy one?

:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
krabapple said:
What I want to know is, does Lirpa Labs make a coaxial interconnect? Or a at least a coat hanger? And if so where can I buy one?

:D

No idea about either :D call them or email them :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis