Digital Coaxial vs. RCA?

A

Austin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I switched out my digital coaxial cable for a plain old RCA cable on my dvd player and it seemed to work fine.  I'd been under the impression that a regular RCA wouldn't work.  Does anyone know what the story is with this?</font>

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
<font color='#000000'>Basically, if they are both solidly constructed, well shielded 75 ohm cables then there should be no difference.

75 ohm works well for audio cables also. &nbsp;In olden days, some &quot;Audio&quot; cables were not 75 ohms* and this could have a detrimental effect on digital or video signals over longer lengths.

In today's modern age with 75 ohm cables being used mostly everywhere else, it makes good sense that many manufactuters don't bother making anything BUT 75 ohm cables, so it's a pretty good bet that they ae universal.

Same nmanufacturing process.. just change the color of the RCA plugs and packaging. &nbsp; ... and perhaps the price as well.

*50 and 110 ohms were common values.</font>

A

Austin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Man, they're truly shameless aren't they?</font>

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
So when I go to buy my DVD player today, you're saying that I don't have to buy a digital coaxial cable? Can I just use a RCA cable and be fine?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Cygnus said:
So when I go to buy my DVD player today, you're saying that I don't have to buy a digital coaxial cable? Can I just use a RCA cable and be fine?
Yes, you'll be fine.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Cool! I just bought a LG LDA530 DVD Player. Unfourtonatley I'm not at home right now, im at mygrandparents, so I can't hook it up to my receiver. But I hooked it up to their TV and works. It's light and thin too! I can't wait to try out Dolby Digital on this unit!

Travis.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You better be sure that the cable is 75 ohm, why not spend the little extra and get a proper 75 ohm cable that is also properly shielded.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well, I have no more cash, because I read this thread before going out and buying this player, so I bought some speaker wire for my surrounds to go along with the new player. I'm sure it'll be fine since the RCA cable is basically made from the same material that the Coaxial one is made of. As Markw said:

Same nmanufacturing process.. just change the color of the RCA plugs and packaging. ... and perhaps the price as well.
Plus, it's a 2005 model (manufactured in June), so the cable has got to be 75Ohm. And, if it doesn't work I'll just wait and buy a proper cable.
trav.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most are.

Privateer said:
You better be sure that the cable is 75 ohm, why not spend the little extra and get a proper 75 ohm cable that is also properly shielded.
In any case, for that short distance even if it's not, it's highly doubtful there will be any noticable difference. Heck, they have gotten good results from a straightened out coathanger.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
In any case, for that short distance even if it's not, it's highly doubtful there will be any noticable difference. Heck, they have gotten good results from a straightened out coathanger.
You are willing to take that chance? Why not pass a video signal through a normal type cable and say "Well some information made it through". Cables make no difference but you have to use a cable designed for the application.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well then tell me why you can use an audio RCA cable for video, and vice versa. Same type of material in the cable, just different packaging. However, you might be right, I don't know, I'll try it out today when I get home and I'll let you know.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You are going to compare a cable rated for 3Ghz to a normal type cable rated for audio use only? You know what I am not going to argue this because it is so pointless.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Privateer said:
You are going to compare a cable rated for 3Ghz to a normal type cable rated for audio use only? You know what I am not going to argue this because it is so pointless.
.....Privateer, take it a step further and tell us why a 75 ohm coaxial cable is in a class by itself concerning shielding.....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not going to argue it either.

I'll just say it works. Wether the brainiacs that live and die for specs agree or not.

Call it what you will. Magic, voodoo, BS or whatever.

...but for the short distances involved in normal HT systems it works fine.

R

Richard Black

Audioholic Intern
The business of dedicated digital and video cables is one area that is not snake oil. The point about cables sold for that purpose is that they are guaranteed to work OK. Over short runs particularly, most conventional audio RCA leads will probably work: some will work very well over long runs, but unless you have the means to test them you won't know until you try. The problem with digital is that you don't know when it may be on the point of failing. A piece of really crummy audio cable may work in a digital connection until one day some very small additional degradation gets added in - could be something as minor as one more bend in the cable - and then you start getting hiccups. But it's not exactly life-threatening and won't damage equipment. Personally, I've used some really dodgy-looking digital connections in demanding situations and had no trouble.

M

mawst95

Audioholic Intern
Cygnus said:
Well then tell me why you can use an audio RCA cable for video, and vice versa. Same type of material in the cable, just different packaging. However, you might be right, I don't know, I'll try it out today when I get home and I'll let you know.
If you really want a 75ohm cable and are low on cash I can make you one for just the shipping cost.

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
Once again I have to laugh at the coat hanger thingie...

I've yet to walk into anyone's place, being private or an audio business and have someone say....

Hey lookie here!! I saved zillions by using coat hangers over Monster! Just listen to this thing rock!!!

LOL

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Nobody is advocating the use of a coat hanger instead of a reasonably well made 75 ohm cable. It was just a test to show that it really doesn't take much to get all the bits from the source to the receiver.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm glad you tried to explain this to him.

MDS said:
Nobody is advocating the use of a coat hanger instead of a reasonably well made 75 ohm cable. It was just a test to show that it really doesn't take much to get all the bits from the source to the receiver.
The line between ignorance and stupidity is sometimes very thin. I'll do my part to help stamp out ignorance but I've learned to leave the other alone.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis