Digital Coaxial Question

M

mfahnestock

Enthusiast
Okay, here's an odd one for you. I have 2 setups that I am trying to combine.

Setup 1 (Indoor):
* Direct TV HD Satellite connected via Component and Digital Coaxial to a receiver powering 5.1 surround

Setup 2 (Outdoor):
* DVD connected via HDMI to a second receiver which powers an outdoor 5.1 surround

I have this crazy notion of converting my theater for Sunday/Monday Night Football outside via my outdoor theater. The problem is that my satellite only has only a single digital coaxial. Ideally, I would want to split the signal so it could got to both of my receivers. For parties, the indoor/outdoor setup would always be on the same channel, so I would expect that I can get the same audio signal into both receivers.

Now I believe digital coaxial is running at 75 ohms, but I am not sure if anyone has ever tried splitting the coaxial cable with a Y-connector or if there is a splitter box that is a better option.

So my question is, would this work? If so, what would you use?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay, here's an odd one for you. I have 2 setups that I am trying to combine.

Setup 1 (Indoor):
* Direct TV HD Satellite connected via Component and Digital Coaxial to a receiver powering 5.1 surround

Setup 2 (Outdoor):
* DVD connected via HDMI to a second receiver which powers an outdoor 5.1 surround

I have this crazy notion of converting my theater for Sunday/Monday Night Football outside via my outdoor theater. The problem is that my satellite only has only a single digital coaxial. Ideally, I would want to split the signal so it could got to both of my receivers. For parties, the indoor/outdoor setup would always be on the same channel, so I would expect that I can get the same audio signal into both receivers.

Now I believe digital coaxial is running at 75 ohms, but I am not sure if anyone has ever tried splitting the coaxial cable with a Y-connector or if there is a splitter box that is a better option.

So my question is, would this work? If so, what would you use?
Coaxial 75 ohm SPDIF does not split well. You get echoes and reflections. The result drop outs.

Your best bet is to covert to optical SPDIF which you can split.

You will need one of these, and one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike175gr

Audiophyte
Coaxial 75 ohm SPDIF does not split well. You get echoes and reflections. The result drop outs.

Your best bet is to covert to optical SPDIF which you can split.
Good stuff! Thank you !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis