Digital Coaxial Out to RCA?

A

amistry

Audiophyte
Hi there. I currently have a very old av reciever, the Yamaha RX-V592RDS system. It has a 5.1 6ch discrete input in the back of it, and I used to connect my old DVD player to that, and I used to experience full surround sound through Pro Logic. Now, I have bought a newer player, and it only has a digital coaxial out on it.

Is there any way I can connect 5.1 sound to my amplifier from the DVD player, which has no 6ch 5.1 separate phono outputs on the back of it; only Digital coaxial out?

Can anyone help? I am not a noobie - I know exactly what people are talking about; be as technical as you like :)

Thank you in advance!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Dolby Pro Logic only requires a two-channel connection, so you can still get that if your new DVD player has left/right analog audio outputs. Just connect the those two outputs (assuming it has them - I'd be shocked if it doesn't) to the receiver, and you're set.

If you want Dolby Digital or DTS, you'll need to utilize the digital connection. To go from a digital audio connection (like the digital coax on your new player) to six-channel analog, you'll need a processor for the codec (DD or DTS) and a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Your older DVD player contained both of those, and most receivers these days will also have those. To stick with your current receiver and DVD player, you'd need to get an external processor. Outboard processors are a niche market, and I honestly don't think it's worth looking into. A new receiver or different DVD player will be less expensive unless you find a used outboard processor. I've seen them for about $100, but I'd suggest using that money to get a new receiver. For around $250, you can get into most of the latest processing and connections (such as HDMI).

BTW, which new DVD player did you get?

A

amistry

Audiophyte
I see. The new DVD player is a Sony RDR-HXD980. Its a really good player, really.

I didn't think there was an option. Currently I am connected through red and white left/right channels into the amp, and it works fine, but not with the full 5.1, obviously. I have no idea how to make use of the Dolby Digital without getting a new amp or dvd player.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I see. The new DVD player is a Sony RDR-HXD980. Its a really good player, really.

I didn't think there was an option. Currently I am connected through red and white left/right channels into the amp, and it works fine, but not with the full 5.1, obviously. I have no idea how to make use of the Dolby Digital without getting a new amp or dvd player.
You really can't. Adam gave you good into.

Unless you can find a DVD player that will provide those 5.1 analog outputs (or you get a new receiver that will do what you need) you're gonna have to be satisfied with DPL from the red/white analog outputs the DVD player does provide.

What your old DVD player used to do, the new one doesn't. It, and most DVD players, depends on the receiver to take over those tasks.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Either Adam ran through your post too fast, or I ran through his.

You are discussing DolbyDigital (5.1) surround?

Now I've done a little looking, and can't find much on your receiver. What I can find says that it's a DD-receiver. As such, it should have a digital in (whether optical or coax) that you can connect to. That said, it's not going to have many of the modern other CODECs.

Your old DVD player went ahead and decoded DD for you, and you hooked it to the 5 audio-ins on the receiver. Your new one does not.

You have three options.
1) See of there's a digital in. There should be based on what I could find on your receiver. Use that.
2) Replace the DVD player with one with 5-channel outs.
3) Replace the AVR with one that has digital in.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Jerry. That receiver doesn't have any digital inputs or Dolby Digital decoding. It only decodes Pro-Logic, but it can accept 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs (and was labeled at "Dolby Digital Ready"). Yamaha still has it on their website (that's where I go to check out all Yamaha receivers, and there's a direct link to the site at the top of the forum page).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis