Digital coax cable gauge

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
Please, does the speaker wire gauge information aplies to digital coax cable?
Or any 75ohms with male rca plugs on the ends will do the trick?
Thanks

Matt34

Matt34

Thanks
As far as I understand no it doesn't.

Stolen from this article...http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/the-truth-about-interconnects-and-cables

Interconnects might sound different, but only if they use odd construction techniques. Generally speaking, all properly (sensibly) designed and well made interconnects will sound the same - excluding noise pickup which is common with unshielded designs

Here is a list of related articles... http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
What Matt34 said but I'd add that different cables can be constructed differently. There can be a difference in the number and gauge of each strand of wire used within the cables, different quality of connector, etc but none of that really matters if it is built well with reasonable shielding and comes as close to 75 Ohm characteristic impedance as possible.

Note also that digital audio is very forgiving over the very short distances in a typical HT setup and just about any cable will work just fine (although you really should get one that is 75 Ohm just to be in 'spec').

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Digital Audio

Digital audio and analog video cables should be coax, RG59 or RG6. I have a few of the "premium" cables from monoprice and the build quality is good w/ nice RCA connectors.

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
very comprehensive article by Rod Elliott.
So resuming basically i should use a fairly well constructed cable with a 75 ohms impedance?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
very comprehensive article by Rod Elliott.
So resuming basically i should use a fairly well constructed cable with a 75 ohms impedance?
Yes, and that covers most of the ones available so it is fairly easy.

F

Frugal

Junior Audioholic
cable difference

Thanks
I admire true audiophiles but I just want good value.
I make my own RCA 75 ohm cables with RG6 solid core shielded satellite cable and compression connectors. I use these for all for all video and digital coaxial audio applications and they work great. However analog audio doesn't like solid core wire and should be made with two finely stranded wire conductors and a shield with good connectors soldered on. When looking for audio cables I ignore the 75 ohm spec and look to see if it's made with stranded wire.

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
Do you notice any diference in digital coax between a hard rg6 wire and a stranded one?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... However analog audio doesn't like solid core wire and should be made with two finely stranded wire conductors and a shield with good connectors soldered on.

How so? Please expound on this idea further.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Do you notice any diference in digital coax between a hard rg6 wire and a stranded one?
No reason there would be audibly noticeable difference. But, evidence speaks louder.

F

Frugal

Junior Audioholic
solid core wire

How so? Please expound on this idea further.
In my experience solid core wire sounds harsh in the high end and "s" sounds are exaggerated. Some describe the sound as "brittle". I notice that Blue Jeans cable uses Beldin 1694a RG6 cable. It has a twisted pair of solid wires at it's core. I've never tested it but judging by the feedback in these forums that's enough to make all the difference.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

In my experience solid core wire sounds harsh in the high end and "s" sounds are exaggerated. Some describe the sound as "brittle". I notice that Blue Jeans cable uses Beldin 1694a RG6 cable. It has a twisted pair of solid wires at it's core. I've never tested it but judging by the feedback in these forums that's enough to make all the difference.
I was looking for something I can wrap my hand around, something in physics or EM theory. Experiences can be misleading. But, I may have to reconsider experiences in light my experience when I place that steel pipe in a 5 gal bucket of water.

F

Frugal

Junior Audioholic
I was looking for something I can wrap my hand around, something in physics or EM theory. Experiences can be misleading. But, I may have to reconsider experiences in light my experience when I place that steel pipe in a 5 gal bucket of water.
I would love to be wrong about this. RG6 cable is cheap, these Stirling compression connectors are excellent and I'm no fan of snake oil. I'm going to put the question to a couple of physics profs. I'll also make a pair of cables and test them against some other types of cables at a local high end shop. Stay tuned. By the way, does that have to a 5 gal bucket or would a 20 liter pail do?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I would love to be wrong about this. RG6 cable is cheap, these Stirling compression connectors are excellent and I'm no fan of snake oil. I'm going to put the question to a couple of physics profs. I'll also make a pair of cables and test them against some other types of cables at a local high end shop. Stay tuned. By the way, does that have to a 5 gal bucket or would a 20 liter pail do?
Sure, that will do, or a nearby lake? Even a swimming pool will do :D

Just be careful how you conduct your listening how much bias will sneak into it.:p
Also mention to the prof that this is for audio frequency applications, not RF, and the low end at that, near DC. After all, 60Hz is closer to DC than 20kHz:D Or, may want to ask him about strand jumping, or some other wild stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis