Diffuser Panel Graph

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Can anbody make heads or tails out of this graph. These are Gradient Absorber Diffuser panels. I have no clue to what I am looking at.

Diffuser panels.jpg

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
It's labeled "Cumulative Spectral Decay Plot." This type of graph is also known as a "waterfall" plot. Basically, a fancy (3D) way of looking at sound decay. Frequency is increasing from left to right (looks like 0-4000 Hz?), time is increasing from back to front (looks like 0 to 40 ms), and amplitude is decreasing from top to bottom (looks like about 35 dB of amplitude range).

Depending on how much is known about the measurement conditions will determine whether the plot is completely useless, very helpful, or somewhere in between.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It's labeled "Cumulative Spectral Decay Plot." This type of graph is also known as a "waterfall" plot. Basically, a fancy (3D) way of looking at sound decay. Frequency is increasing from left to right (looks like 0-4000 Hz?), time is increasing from back to front (looks like 0 to 40 ms), and amplitude is decreasing from top to bottom (looks like about 35 dB of amplitude range).

Depending on how much is known about the measurement conditions will determine whether the plot is completely useless, very helpful, or somewhere in between.
Thanks for your expert replies. This is a graph of panels still under development. I was wondering if they would be usefull since they are only 1/2" thick.

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
There's no way to tell if they're useful without knowing a lot more about the measurement that is represented in the graph. What type of signal? What type of microphone? What kind of loudspeaker(s)? What kind of room (if it was in a room)? How were all the components set up? Was this a lab measurement or a field measurement? Was there anything else in the room that could have affected the measurements? Is this a "before" or "after" measurement? And so on...

I'm afraid you just don't seem to have much to go on at this point.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for your expert replies. This is a graph of panels still under development. I was wondering if they would be usefull since they are only 1/2" thick.
I don't know if this is material that has been forgotten, or not, so I'll include it.

The X axis is horizontal, the Y axis is vertical and the Z axis is as if you were looking along it. Where they all cross is the zero point. That defines three dimensional space and it works well for these graphs because they're dealing with three components. This is sometimes referred to as a TEF, or Time/Energy/Frequency plot, or graph.

If you remember Math class and working with graphs, using coordinates (X & Y) in two dimensional & (X,Y,Z) in 3 dimensional, the numbers that correspond to the X coordinate to the right of the Y axis have a positive value and the Y coordinates in the upper two quadrants have a positive value. An X coordinate to the left of the zero or a Y coordinate below the Zero point on the X axis, has a negative value. On the Z axis, behind the zero the coordinate has a negative value and in front of, or toward the person reading the graph, the value for the Z coordinate is positive.

This was a hard one for those who had difficulty understanding absolute values.

So, if you look at the "waterfall", the lowest frequency is at the left and the highest is at the right. The amplitude, volume or intensity (these are often interchanged) can't be a negative value, so it starts at Zero and goes up from there (it can't be quieter than absolutely silent). The signal level varies with frequency, especially when speakers or room treatments are being measured. Time will also begin at the Zero and advance toward the reader.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis