Difference between Unbalanced and Balanced I/Os

B

BUBBAgums

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>This is kinda of a dumb question, but I'm confused. &nbsp;What's the difference between unbalanced and balanced I/Os (i.e. 1/4&quot; TRS or 1/4&quot; TS or XLR). &nbsp;I mean, on a standard Sony reciever, the inputs are unblanaced right? &nbsp;So why do we use 1/4&quot; TRS connectors to plug into the headphone jack?

Clear it up fo me!</font>

<font color='#000000'>You've got lots of things here, let me try to 'splain them to you...
&nbsp; &nbsp;Engineers, pardon my gross oversimplification...

1/4&quot; TS or RCA jacks - unbalanced, because there is only a signal and a ground. Any induced noise is not removed. Fine for short runs, and less expensive. Very susceptible to ground loops...

1/4&quot; TRS or XLR - balanced, because what you basically have is a positive signal, a negative signal (same voltage/signal, but inverse polarity) and a ground. Because the signal is sent as both positive and negative voltage, a transformer (I'll ignore direct coupling or differential inputs) is used to essentially &quot;phase cancel&quot; any induced noise (which will occur equally on both lines) in the line. The unblemished signal then continues on down the path...

1/4&quot; TRS Headphone Jack - this is a left signal, a right signal and a common ground. Note that this is not a balanced connection.

The biggest question I've always had is why the heck aren't musical instruments like guitars balanced (some are, but it is very rare.)</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis