Difference between the RX-A870 and RX-A1070?

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I'm wondering what differentiates the top of the line value AVENTAGE receiver and the entry level premium AVENTAGE receiver? The specs are quite close, is there something I'm missing?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
A1070 is not top of the line. The top is 3070. Also 870 is not the most entry level but rather top of the entry level in aventage series. As the one who recently replaced a860 with a1070 would like to say that in sound quality there is not much difference. A870 is the first receiver in the line with preouts. Not sure about a870 but with a860 the preout voltage was 1.6v max. Which is a bit low for most of external amplifiers if you decide to add one to your system. For a870 you need to check the specs. Also with a860 according to AH tests at 1.5v+ preouts were distorting quite a lot. Again not sure if that changed in new model. To be on safe side i would take a1070. But check it carefully. My first a1070 had clicking issue. Had to replace it. New one works fine.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
A1070 is not top of the line. The top is 3070. Also 870 is not the most entry level but rather top of the entry level in aventage series. As the one who recently replaced a860 with a1070 would like to say that in sound quality therw is not much difference. A870 is the first receiver in the line with preouts. Not sure about a870 but with a860 the preout voltage was 1.6v max. For a870 check in the manual. Which is a bit low for most of external amplifiers if you decide to add one to your system. Also with a860 according to AH tests at 1.5v+ preouts were distorting quite a lot. Again not sure if that changed in new model. To be on safe side i would take a1070. But check it carefully. My first a1070 had clicking issue. Had to replace it. New one works fine.
I think you have it reversed mate.

I'm referring to the 870 when I say top of the line model of the value AVENTAGE line.

I'm referring to the 1070 when I say entry level model of the premium AVENTAGE line.

I'm cognizant of other models such as the 670 and the 3070, for example.

But thanks, I was actually looking at the two specifically because of preouts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Regarding pre-outs, the Yamaha spec is 1V RMS...
Some people complain this is too low.. what they don't understand is when mating an AVR to a component amplifier. Component power amplifiers have different input sensitivities depending upon where built and application. If the power amplifier was designed/built in the Orient for consumer applications its sensitivity was typically 1V. However if designed/built in the USA for pro-audio applications its input sensitivity was higher like 1.4V RMS. So now one can easily see if the pre-outs are only 1V it will have difficulty in driving an amplifier with a 1.4V input sensitivity to rated output....:(

Frequently a pro-audio amplifier has more output power and is less expensive than a consumer amplifier so they are frequently used in consumer home theater applications mated with an AVR. So now one can easily understand why the complaint of limited power, is a result of mismatched components...
The workaround is before purchasing an amplifier double check its input sensitivity specs, note that many of the pro-audio amplifiers have switchable input sensitivity of 1V or 1.4V..

Just my $0.02... ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm wondering what differentiates the top of the line value AVENTAGE receiver and the entry level premium AVENTAGE receiver? The specs are quite close, is there something I'm missing?
Unless you can verify the RX-A870 does not share the amp section of its predecessor, the RX-A860, you should avoid it like the plague!
More here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/is-something-wrong-help.108156/page-2#post-1201419

I used to consider Yamaha the gold standard for quality electronics (among mainstream AVR manufacturers). I have bought Marantz and Denon because of Audyssey's reputation (and at the time YPOA did not address the subs not sure if they do now).
But this product seems indicative of something gone very wrong in their design department!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here are the differences:

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=10420&compareItems=01|022RXA870&compareItems=01|022RXA1070

Here they are the same/similar features:

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=10420&compareItems=01|022RXA870&compareItems=01|022RXA1070

One thing I notice right off the bat is that the 1070 is nearly 10-lbs. heavier albeit a beefier amp section. Hope this helps! Best wishes. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the A1070 has the 64bit version of YPAO, I'd check the stats on the Yamaha website too.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Regarding pre-outs, the Yamaha spec is 1V RMS...
Some people complain this is too low.. what they don't understand is when mating an AVR to a component amplifier. Component power amplifiers have different input sensitivities depending upon where built and application. If the power amplifier was designed/built in the Orient for consumer applications its sensitivity was typically 1V. However if designed/built in the USA for pro-audio applications its input sensitivity was higher like 1.4V RMS. So now one can easily see if the pre-outs are only 1V it will have difficulty in driving an amplifier with a 1.4V input sensitivity to rated output....:(

Frequently a pro-audio amplifier has more output power and is less expensive than a consumer amplifier so they are frequently used in consumer home theater applications mated with an AVR. So now one can easily understand why the complaint of limited power, is a result of mismatched components...
The workaround is before purchasing an amplifier double check its input sensitivity specs, note that many of the pro-audio amplifiers have switchable input sensitivity of 1V or 1.4V..

Just my $0.02... ;)
1v or 1.4v it is still not enough to drive most amps like xpa gen3 or monolith to the rated power. 2v is what A1070 gives in preout and that will be enough. As far as i know max preout voltage in some Denon avr can be up to 4v.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
1v or 1.4v it is still not enough to drive most amps like xpa gen3 or monolith to the rated power. 2v is what A1070 gives in preout and that will be enough. As far as i know max preout voltage in some Denon avr can be up to 4v.
A pre-out spec is a nominal value not its maximum..
My Marantz pre-amp specifies 1V as a spec but actually swings as high as 7V on certain dynamic peaks...

Just my $0.02... ;)

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
A pre-out spec is a nominal value not its maximum..
My Marantz pre-amp specifies 1V as a spec but actually swings as high as 7V on certain dynamic peaks...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Again for a860 (and 870) MAX preot is 1.6v. but max useful voltage without horrible distortion is 1.4 if not less. As per already mentioned AH review. This is an issue if your amp has sensitivity of say 2v. Or even 1.6v

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
As I posted previously..
Just having a pre-amp output does not guarantee good compatibility with an external component power amplifier... Besides pre-amp output be it voltage nominal and/or maximum specs does not assure be able to drive the amplifier to full power output, other specs are crucial not just RMS votage but also @ what impedance the lower the better as 500 ohms. The other crucial component is the power amplifier and what is its respective sensitivity and voltage gain. For example, the mentioned Monolith products designed/built by ATI has a voltage gain of 28dB (input to rated power output into 8ohms @ 1kHz). Whereas certain amplifiers have selectable amplifier gain settings of 37dB, 34dB, 26dB. To summarize before building the system the user needs to review the respective specs of each component to assure adequate compatibility if not then the final system be it stereo, multi-channel or pro will not perform up to rated specs and/or have significant noise..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis