Difference between the Canton LE and GLE series?

S

SportsNut

Audioholic Intern
Ok so here's the skinny. I'm trying to decide whether to get the Canton LE 107 towers or the Canton GLE 407 towers. The price difference is $250 between the LE and GLE series. I guess what I'm asking is if it is worth it for me to drop the extra $250 for the GLE. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
No first hand experience but have you gone to their website? The GLE is 2dB more sensitive and that helps if you don't have a high powered amp. Also, a bit more extension on the high frequencies.

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Ok so here's the skinny. I'm trying to decide whether to get the Canton LE 107 towers or the Canton GLE 407 towers. The price difference is $250 between the LE and GLE series. I guess what I'm asking is if it is worth it for me to drop the extra $250 for the GLE. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew
I'm a Canton dealer & think I can help you.... some :)

Short answer: Yes, it's worth $250.

Long Answer: The LE series was a very nice, well built product (my opinion: Canton builds the best made speakers in the world. B&W's construction quality is the only thing comparable. Not better... but comparable). The older LE had different, proprietary, drivers and was voiced differently from the rest of the line (as were ALL of their speaker lines).

Canton has switched gears a bit. They've taken the approach to voice match their lines as close as possible with major differences being cabinet construction, cosmetics, color choices, etc. Essentially all of their speakers use the same tweeters, mids, & woofers. There are sonic differences, to be sure, but what you now have is a very cohesive brand that, depending on variables (room size, accoustic treatments, electronics, etc.), can give a consistantly great sound. ACCEPT FOR THE GLE. My understanding with the GLE is that they took the components that essentially made up the much more expensive Ergo line (before they changed it & put the drivers of the other speakers in it) & put them into a different, less expensive, finished cabinet. You are getting very very nice components in the GLE series. Basically the much more expensive older Ergo but without the real wood cabinet. The LE stuff is great too, but the new GLE is just different. This is the way it was explained to me by Canton's tech support a few months ago.

Just to follow up, I will ask my rep Monday to make sure I'm 100% correct (which I believe I am).

Here's a review that contains the speakers you're asking about: http://ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/canton_gle_speaker_system/

S

SportsNut

Audioholic Intern
Hey thank you so much. This has been a really hard decision. I'm just a younger college guy who loves audio haha the hard part is coming up with money but I'm definitely getting the GLE 407's thanks to your guided information.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis