Difference Between Receivers

N

nwg

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I asked this same question on the Home Theater Discussion Forum, so for those that have already read this and possibly responded, my appologies.

I am a bit perplexed and confused. &nbsp;I have read numerous reviews and forums for what I'll call mid priced ($800 to $1500) receivers trying to determine which one to buy. &nbsp;I have also listened to many receivers at various stereo shops but I can't listen to all of them on the same speakers and everyone knows most sales people will tell you anything to make a sale on the brand they carry. &nbsp;I understand there are certain features that are desired but there has to be more that separates these units. &nbsp;Is there some sort of objective review of receivers build quality that identifies the higher quality parts that go into the makeup of the receiver? &nbsp;I know some have to use better parts than others.

Also, for some of the more desirable features, such as up and down conversion, R-232 connection, etc, how often do most people find these useful.

Any help and comments are appreciated. &nbsp;The units I am seriously considering are the Yamaha Rx V2400, Denon 3803 and 3805, Integra 7.4 and HK 7200.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>You opened up a can of worms with this one. Everyone has a preference. Put my vote in for the Yamaha! But with only 10 watts less per channel, why not consider the RX-V1400 &amp; save yourself a few bucks!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Generally speaking, most units in the same price range use the same caliber of parts and have very similar build quality. &nbsp;If this is not the case, I'd be worried! &nbsp;Keep in mind, the h/k 7200 is twice as much as the other units you listed.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide on a receiver in that price range. My dilemma is that I am looking for a receiver that can drive 4 ohm speakers like the Polk Lsi15 series.

Receivers I am considering include:
1. NAD T763/T753
2. Denon AVR-3803/5
3. Yamaha RX-V2400
4. Onkyo 900 &nbsp;(available for about $700)
5. Sony SR5000ES

Are you interested in 8ohms/6ohms/4ohms?
- Che</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Power supplies are an extremely important aspect to a quality receiver. I think this is where some brands are separated from others. From what I've read and been told from many experts, this is where many of the Japanese companies have taken cost out of over the past decades.

Look at the weight comparisons between brands. This is a good indicator of differences as much of the weight comes from the power supplies.

That being said, I had a Yamaha RX-V2092 which I was going to replace with a RX-V 2400. I heard the NAD T763 and it personally blew the 2400 out of the water for me. I would venture to say the T753 would also give many a run for their money. NAD gives a much more conservative claim on their power ratings so do not be fooled when you see their ratings at 20 - 40 watts less than some others. This is simply because they're being more honest (accurate) with continuous power through ALL channels.

I ended up buying the T773 which is a few hundred dollars out of your price range quoted. However, if money was an issue for me I would have no qualms with the T763 as that is the model I tested with my Paradigms in my home for the decision maker.

Cha - I can't however state how the NAD would match with Polks though. The match of speakers to a receiver is as important as anything.

There are definitely other good brands out there besides NAD and many on this forum give accolades for the Yamaha 1400/2400. I have heard many good things about HK so would also consider them.

I am only telling you my personal experience which what your ears like is very much like a preference for food. Everybody is unique in their tastes and sound is no different.

Listen for yourself and let your ears tell you the difference.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>...and along the lines of Ross' point, there is a wide price range in some of the brands you listed. If you listen to a $900 receiver and are satisfied with it's sound, why pay $600 more &nbsp;for a different brand?

Yes I beleive to a certain extent there is cost in components and as I said the power supplies that may justify the delta but let your ears and budget guide you.</font>

N

nwg

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I appreciate the responses so far. &nbsp;The speakers I am planning to buy are the Martin Logan Mosaic for the front and a Martin Logan Fresco for the center. &nbsp;I am considering one of the HSU subs and will use my existing Bang &amp; Olufson speakers for the rears, at least for a while.

In looking at receiver prices, the Integra 7.4 is the most expensive on my list. &nbsp;The HK 7200 can be had for around $800 on the web and $900 retail. &nbsp;I was told by a salesman yesterday that HK will be coming out with a replacement for the 7200 model but he had no information on what or when. &nbsp;I have a 32 inch CRT TV, non HD, but will eventually make the move to either an LCD or DLP projection unit.</font>

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>The HK 7200 is by far the best recvr on your list and because it is being replaced by the 7300 it can be had for under $1k from authorized dealers. Keep in mind that this unit is over 60lbs so you are going to need a shelf that can hold it (the others are mostly in the 30 to 40lb range) This unit has the EZ set feature with the mic in the remote. The only feature that this unit may not have is up conversion for video and is most likely the main reason for being replaced. I own the Denon 3802 and am very pleased with it. The Denon 3803 will probaly drop to the $500 to $600 price range from authorized dealers with the launch of the 3805.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I haven't heard the 7200 matched up with Martin Logans, but I'd probably stick with something at least on par with its power reserves to drive speakers like the ML's. &nbsp;The upcoming 7300 model should be really nice, but then again the price will jump back up to the 2k mark, and not the ~$800 which the 7200 is currently going for. &nbsp;I would seriously consider going with seperates for a good ML match up. &nbsp;Those puppies consistently dip down below 4ohms and need a lot of current to be fully exploited. &nbsp;If you must buy now, then go with the H/K and try it out in your home. &nbsp;Onecall is fully authorized and should not give you any trouble returning the unit if its not what you expected. &nbsp;

Good luck!

Keep us posted...</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>JDG,
Thanks for the input. Great to hear you are enjoying your NAD T773. Excellent recever from what I've heard.

I have done some audtiontioning, but as I keep reading threads I see some internet only speakers like the Onix Rockets that rate highly and for me are in contention with the Polk Lsi15 series. I've herard teh Polks paired with Outlaw amp/preamp and it was simply stunning, crystal clear ear candy. unfortunatley the outlaw pairs appear somewaht dated and lacking in current features in my opinion.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing what others think would pair nicely with Onix Rocket 750s or Polk Lsi15 speakers if you have first hand kowledege.

What is needed is a separate persistent thread where readers can enter their speaker/receiver(pre-amp) combination along with a rating 1-5 on how they enjoy the sound for music and sound for movies. This thread could persist and would reduce teh questions I see so often on these HT forums.

- Che.
ps. &quot;nwg&quot;, Sorry if I appear to be hijaking your thread.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis