Difference between low and high end projector

M

mitchkid

Audiophyte
I am currently looking into getting a projector for a 130 inch screen, i was wondering what the difference between a projector for 2500 dollars like the panason ae4000 and a more expensive one like the jvc rs25 for around 7500 is. Will i be able to see a difference for 5000 dollars?

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
The main difference between them is the features they are offering. The rate of various brands are different depending of brand Name in that category.

Speaking of difference yes there would definitely be a difference in viewing experience.

Well i dont prefer anyone to go big if they are not using all the feature Buy according to your needs going BIG not always help.....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
More expensive projectors have all sorts of reasons for being more expensive and IMO people often buy a brand name (ie: Runco) instead of doing some research first to actually get a better projector, like JVC.

The Panasonic is a solid projector and is one of many - FYI, for the money, I would go Epson, not Panasonic, but I digress... The AE4000U is a solid unit with good image quality and excellence in many areas.

But, the JVC is marginally superior in almost all areas which will allow it to perform and look better under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions (a light colored room) the JVC won't produce one bit of noticable difference compared to the Panny.

The biggest difference is in the capability of the JVC units to produce some of the best black levels on the market for any projector currently in production. A native contrast ratio of that type hasn't been matched by other manufacturers and creates a phenomenal setup.

But, the cheaper JVC models do very well also and are worth considering for sure.

Yet, if your room is not ideal, or you just don't have the money, then a projector like the AE4000 or 8500UB are great ways to go.

There are other more expensive models out there from companies who can handle really large screens (Digital Projection) with ease, or those with interchangable lenses which allow for shorter/longer throw distances.

If I had a serious dedicated home theater, the $5000 range would be where I would look and a JVC would likely be at the top of my list. Under $3,000 I would get the Epson.

Under $2,000 I would probably go with the Mits HC3800 or really save some cash by going with the Optoma HD20.

It can be similar with speakers as you spend more or other audio gear. Spending $1,000 on a projector gets you 80% of the way there. Spending more for the Panasonic or Epson adds another 10% pretty easily. But, that final 10% can really start costing you some serious coin.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Great optics costs much more. The glass alone can be expensive and when it has multiple elements and special profile, it's a lot more.

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
The only difference would be the amount of "screen door effect" if you sat closer than 1.2-1.5 screen widths away.

I would generally say a quality 720p projector is better than a lesser brand 1080p.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am currently looking into getting a projector for a 130 inch screen, i was wondering what the difference between a projector for 2500 dollars like the panason ae4000 and a more expensive one like the jvc rs25 for around 7500 is. Will i be able to see a difference for 5000 dollars?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66360

JVC RS25 Best Mode Brightness: 722 lumens + best black levels period + one of best color accuracy

Panasonic 4000 Best Mode Brightness: 430 lumens + good black levels + good color accuracy

....among other things...you get what you pay for.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
BMXTRIX, explained it best. Very good post.

-Robert

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
More expensive projectors have all sorts of reasons for being more expensive and IMO people often buy a brand name (ie: Runco) instead of doing some research first to actually get a better projector, like JVC.
Just curious have you done a sibe by side comparison with a 3 chip DLP Runc to a JVC?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A 3-chip DLP is not in the same price category as the JVC RS series, which is also not in the same price category as a 8500UB/AE4000.

I have done a head-to-head with a Runco single chip DLP and other LCD projectors, and the difference between them is minimal for a significant cost difference. Moreso, the Runco products have a history of very poor reliability coupled with extremely high service costs and poor service support.

If I were to go to a 3-chip DLP model, I would far more heavily favor Digital Projection as those guys are all over the high-end market with extremely significant offerrings. Dollar for dollar they are similar to Runco, but they actually design their products and build their products and support their products across the board. At any CEDIA or Infocomm event, their booth is one of the best that anyone will see on the floor with top shelf anamorphic displays setup, 3D setups, and bright projectors at well over 120" in size.

Over half of the high end venues specify Digital Projection in the design from the start.

But, you are starting to get into far more specific projectors and the cost associated with more specialized products of this nature.

Three DLP is significantly brighter than any other technology out there, and is considerably more expensive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis