Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" on SACD

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Hi. Well, I &nbsp;bought DK's newest album on SACD a while back, just thought I'd post my impressions; this is a disc I initially discussed on Audiocircle.com. &nbsp;I realize that a lot of folks don't care much for this one, so it may not interest everyone. However, I have them all, and I must admit it's probably my favorite overall. I must state for the record, though, that I generally don't care much for jazz. If this isn't a &quot;real jazz&quot; record, I for one don't have a problem with that!

The first thing I noticed about the album is, of course, the rear channel activity. I generally wince when I hear horns, vocals, etc coming from behind me, so my first inclination was to worry. As I got into the first song it became more apparent that while there was a little percussion in the surrounds, no vocals pop out; largely the surrounds are used to &quot;fatten&quot; the sound of the London Phil, and create ambience.

For someone that hasn't heard a DVD-A or SACD, one of the first things you notice is the &quot;blackness&quot; behind the music, the level of quite. Very remarkable; the music really springs out of silence. Now, a CD isn't exactly noisy, and you certainly wouldn't think so unless you compared it with something of higher resolution.

The next thing you notice is the sense of air, and the total &quot;naturalness&quot; of the sound. Not &quot;hi-fi&quot; at all, just musical.

I could discribe the sound, but a more apt comparison is going back to the Redbook layer; this is a hybrid disc, it has a CD layer, 2 ch SACD &amp; Multichannel. Now, good as SACD sounds, it doesn't so much bowl you over when you hear it as crush you when you go back to the CD! All of a sudden, that wonderful air goes stale; the cymbals that sounded so lifelike suddenly get brash and steely. You suddenly realize it's a recording again!</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rob,
I'm just discovering Jazz myself (maybee it's my age) anyway I picked up Coltrane's &quot;A Love Supreme&quot; and found myself listening to it once a day for a couple of weeks and liking it more all the time.

So with this new found interest in Coltrane I want down to my local Mega Bookstore, and was shocked to find that there's a hardcover book devoted to this album alone.

Maybee I've better taste in music than I thought.

Peter m.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis