Deutsche Grammophon Don't Give a Damn About Their Clients!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Around 2010, I bought a Blu-ray version of Charles Gounod's "Roméo et Juliette" opera. I played the disc several times over the years and it provided a flawless performance.

Last Saturday, I put the disc in my Sony UBP-X800 player. To my surprise, I got the message "Unknown disc". I tried it with both my Oppo players and neither could read it. That resembles Chinese product obsolescence!

So I sent an email to DGG in Germany explaining what was happening with their product. They replied that there was a batch of this opera which was indeed defective, but they no longer produce them. What pisses me off is that they didn't even apologize for my problem, and they didn't bother to send me a little sum of money as a compensation. What a fu*king multinational Universal firm!

I like this performance of Gounod's masterpiece. I have just ordered the DVD version of this opera on eBay and I'm sure there won't be any problem with the DVD discs. I don't want to risk buying another Blu-ray.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Around 2010, I bought a Blu-ray version of Charles Gounod's "Roméo et Juliette" opera. I played the disc several times over the years and it provided a flawless performance.

Last Saturday, I put the disc in my Sony UBP-X800 player. To my surprise, I got the message "Unknown disc". I tried it with both my Oppo players and neither could read it. That resembles Chinese product obsolescence!

So I sent an email to DGG in Germany explaining what was happening with their product. They replied that there was a batch of this opera which was indeed defective, but they no longer produce them. What pisses me off is that they didn't even apologize for my problem, and they didn't bother to send me a little sum of money as a compensation. What a fu*king multinational Universal firm!

I like this performance of Gounod's masterpiece. I have just ordered the DVD version of this opera on eBay and I'm sure there won't be any problem with the DVD discs. I don't want to risk buying another Blu-ray.
That is a problem that can happen occasionally with all optical digital discs. I have had that happen with the odd CD. As DGG told you it tends to affect a whole patch. You bought that disc 13 years ago and that would be beyond any reasonable warranty. If there are no discs left from the run, then there is not much DGG can do about it.
The DVD may not have the problem as it will be from a different production run.

The life of digital discs is still not known, but in general it has held up better than originally predicted.

Funnily enough the venerable LP is probably the most stable audio archival medium.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

If that performance is really that important to you, buy the Blu-Ray and rip it to hard drive storage, and then back that up. Like TLS Guy, optical storage doesn't last forever. I don't know what you can reasonably expect DG to do for you here. I don't think a check for a disc that probably doesn't have a lifetime warranty is reasonable.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You could try MakeMKV or AnyDVD HD to make a backup. I'm currently backing up my entire collection. I bought the movie/music. The disc is just how they get it to me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Like TLS Guy, optical storage doesn't last forever. ...
Well, 13 years is a bit far from being close to forever. ;) :D
Have CDs from the 80s. Sound as good as I can remember them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, 13 years is a bit far from being close to forever. ;) :D
Have CDs from the 80s. Sound as good as I can remember them.
The problem is that you can not tell up front which discs will have this problem. So yes, some discs will not play after variable lengths of time. I also have many discs going back to the 80s. This is very much a hit and miss problem.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... This is very much a hit and miss problem.
Except when they admit an issue with a whole production run. But that was many years ago and now too late, no replacement from a better run.
Yep, like finding parts for a number of old stuff. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis