ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ok Denon guys,

I have heard all of you talk about how bad the user manual is and you were correct. I have played around with it quite a bit and have all but one thing figured out.

How do you do the video ''pass through"?

The closest thing I can find is under the i/p scaler section which states "selectable items-A to H, A to H&H to H, OFF".

There is no mention of what all this means.I just want my video to go through untouched.

The next section is "resolution" which states "selectable items- AUTO, 480/576P, 1080I, 720P, 1080P."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't there a Video Conversion Mode (On/Off)? By setting it to Off, it should be Pass-Through?

Oh, set the i/p Scaler to OFF.

Test it out by sending a 720p signal from the PS3 (you would have to manually set it in the PS3) to the 3808CI. Then when you turn on the Mitsubishi TV, I think it should say "720p".

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing is that if the source (PS3) is already 1080p, the receiver will not "touch" the signal either. This is the case with all upscalers. They only upscale if the source signal is 1080i or less.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So maybe the "auto" mode is the correct one?

What do you think "selectable items-A to H, A to H&H to H, OFF" means?

Another thing is that if the source (PS3) is already 1080p, the receiver will not "touch" the signal either. This is the case with all upscalers. They only upscale if the source signal is 1080i or less.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
P-Dawg, I got your message. Sorry, but I don't have time right now to flip through the manual. I'll be more than happy to do it later tonight, but you'll have an answer by then (or be too drunk to care :D).

Woohoo! I got a post in today. Ahhhh. My EAG feels somewhat relieved now.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am seriously concerned with your work habits the past few days. Take a break man:D
P-Dawg, I got your message. Sorry, but I don't have time right now to flip through the manual. I'll be more than happy to do it later tonight, but you'll have an answer by then (or be too drunk to care :D).

Woohoo! I got a post in today. Ahhhh. My EAG feels somewhat relieved now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So maybe the "auto" mode is the correct one?

What do you think "selectable items-A to H, A to H&H to H, OFF" means?
Yeah, I think Audo mode is correct. If it gets a 1080p signal, then it won't mess with it. It'll just pass it through.

I don't know what "A" & "H" stands for, but I think "OFF" means you want the Scaler to be turned OFF completely (total video pass-through).

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
"A" is analog and "H" is HDMI. You can adjust each source independently so I set it to take my sat box from 1080i to 1080p and leave the PS3 alone.

Since I have the ability to change the displayed names of all the inputs, I changed "TV" to Def Tec sucks!:eek:

This is the coolest AVR I have owned!
Yeah, I think Audo mode is correct. If it gets a 1080p signal, then it won't mess with it. It'll just pass it through.

I don't know what "A" & "H" stands for, but I think "OFF" means you want the Scaler to be turned OFF completely (total video pass-through).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I have the ability to change the displayed names of all the inputs, I changed "TV" to Def Tec sucks!:eek:
Change it back IMMEDIATELY!!!:eek:

On page 109 of the manual, it clearly states that disrespecting Def Tech will cause your receiver to blow up!:eek::D

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Hello ParadigmDawg,

I am very close to purchasing the ARV-3808CI but was wondering how well SD 480i or analog video looks after being up scaled to 1080p and is the analog to 1080p outputting through the HDMI outputs?

I was looking at the Denon 3808 and the Onkyo 876, the Denon using a Faroujda DCDi and the Onkyo uses a HQV Reon-VX which is suppost to be a better video processing chip but if the 3808 does a decent job then I don't care and will go the Denon.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I can't answer that as my lowest source is the 1080i SAT box.
Hello ParadigmDawg,

I am very close to purchasing the ARV-3808CI but was wondering how well SD 480i or analog video looks after being up scaled to 1080p and is the analog to 1080p outputting through the HDMI outputs?

I was looking at the Denon 3808 and the Onkyo 876, the Denon using a Faroujda DCDi and the Onkyo uses a HQV Reon-VX which is suppost to be a better video processing chip but if the 3808 does a decent job then I don't care and will go the Denon.

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Ok,

From what I read you love this unit so far though?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I go through a lot of gear and upgrade or change things quite a bit. Yesterday, I actually put the 3808 box in the attic as it will be pulling pre/pro duty for me for a long time.

Our demands may be different, I was just looking for a good solid AVR to use as a pre/pro. I needed HDMI, the newest codecs, the ability to overlay 1080p via HDMI including volume display, multi-zones, multi speaker crossover settings and music server capabilities. I also like clean looking AVRs without a bunch of junk on the front panel.

The 3808 fits my needs perfectly.
Ok,

From what I read you love this unit so far though?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
lol...that has been the way it's been the past 2 weeks. You guys are getting too slow!
Sorry, I still have a full time job! Have you tried out the zone 2/3 features yet? If you ask any questions on this topic, not sure about others but I promise to respond within one month.:D

BTW: If you don't mind the lesser quality of the internet radio stuff don't forget to select the "restorer" feature. It does improve the sound quality.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have zone two going to the patio. I am not in need of zone 3 right now but may add it for my office at some point.

I have used the internet radio a lot for background music, I didnt know what the restorer was so thanks for the tip. I think this AVR works great as a music server using WMP11.
Sorry, I still have a full time job! Have you tried out the zone 2/3 features yet? If you ask any questions on this topic, not sure about others but I promise to respond within one month.:D

BTW: If you don't mind the lesser quality of the internet radio stuff don't forget to select the "restorer" feature. It does improve the sound quality.

G

Guapo

Enthusiast
I understand there is a firmware release for the Denon today. Anyone able to confirm this? What are the new changes?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis