B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
I got the denon x3600h, when I whatch movie I have to set the volume at ( -5 ) it's fine but not very loud ,my speakers have 96 db sensitivity. I run audyssey twice and I bump up level speaker a little bit , i dont know if is normal or not to have the volume that high? It's about 75% of the volume , my previous avr (sony str-dn1080) was set at 50-55% for the same volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems something's wrong, -5 volume level should be quite loud if calibrated correctly on the reference volume scale. Then again hard to know what you consider loud or what you were playing particularly (what was it and what source?). Any way to measure that with an spl meter (even a phone app?). You can't judge by percentage, it's a logarithmic volume scale (each +3dB represents a doubling of power). Sony I believe uses a different volume scale altogether in any case.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I have the 3600 too and notice I have to turn the volume about 10dbs higher than the onkyo it replaced. I’m not sure why but everything sounds great and crystal clear so it doesn’t concern me but makes me curious.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got the denon x3600h, when I whatch movie I have to set the volume at ( -5 ) it's fine but not very loud ,my speakers have 96 db sensitivity. I run audyssey twice and I bump up level speaker a little bit , i dont know if is normal or not to have the volume that high? It's about 75% of the volume , my previous avr (sony str-dn1080) was set at 50-55% for the same volume.
How far are you from the front 3 speakers, and have you run Audyssey yet? If yes, what's the level settings for the l/c/r speakers?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah -5 dbs should be very loud are your speaker Levels set to low?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Seems something's wrong, -5 volume level should be quite loud if calibrated correctly on the reference volume scale. Then again hard to know what you consider loud or what you were playing particularly (what was it and what source?). Any way to measure that with an spl meter (even a phone app?). You can't judge by percentage, it's a logarithmic volume scale (each +3dB represents a doubling of power). Sony I believe uses a different volume scale altogether in any case.
Thanks for reply ,the last movie I watch was Transformers the last knight, bluray movie from my sony x800 , with spl app on my phone i got average 65-67 db and some pike at 81-82db max ,but i dont know if is accurate on a phone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for reply ,the last movie I watch was Transformers the last knight, bluray movie from my sony x800 , with spl app on my phone i got average 65-67 db and some pike at 81-82db max ,but i dont know if is accurate on a phone.
At -5 the average should be closer to 80dB, peaks up to 20dB more. Might want to tell us more about how you ran Audyssey (the steps you took for mic placement, number of mic positions). Maybe all settings for speaker level and delay (distance), too as well as crossovers. One thing that comes to mind is that the avr may set Audyssey Dynamic Volume to on, if so try it off.

PS you probably have an input level adjustment, not likely you ran into it by accident, but might want to check that.

Last edited:
B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
How far are you from the front 3 speakers, and have you run Audyssey yet? If yes, what's the level settings for the l/c/r speakers?
My room is 12'x20' my seat is 11'-10'-11' from L/C/R . I run audyssey twice ,audyssey set my speakers left and right at ( -6.5 )and center at( -7.5 ),I bump up the center at( -5.5).

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
At -5 the average should be closer to 80dB, peaks up to 20dB more. Might want to tell us more about how you ran Audyssey (the steps you took for mic placement, number of mic positions). Maybe all settings for speaker level and delay (distance), too as well as crossovers. One thing that comes to mind is that the avr may set Audyssey Dynamic Volume to on, if so try it off.

PS you probably have an input level adjustment, not likely you ran into it by accident, but might want to check that.
I took the tripod that came with the avr ,and run 8 position on dead silent room, dynamic volume is off, and i set the crossover to 80hz to my floor speakers and 90hz to my in ceiling speakers.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
I have the 3600 too and notice I have to turn the volume about 10dbs higher than the onkyo it replaced. I’m not sure why but everything sounds great and crystal clear so it doesn’t concern me but makes me curious.
Do you tink you can watch a movie a (-5) or it's to loud . If is just audyssey that set my levels wrong I don't really care , I just want to make sure I don't have a defective avr.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
With the 3600, you can adjust input level for each source from -12 to +12dB. This might help: Check that out and adjust levels of the various sources as needed.

I suspect that your listening preference is rather loud, if your speakers really have a sensitivity of 96dB for a 2.83v input at 1 meter.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I took the tripod that came with the avr ,and run 8 position on dead silent room, dynamic volume is off, and i set the crossover to 80hz to my floor speakers and 90hz to my in ceiling speakers.
That all sounds fine. What were the resulting levels for all speakers? What are all the speakers?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
With the 3600, you can adjust input level for each source from -12 to +12dB. This might help: Check that out and adjust levels of the various sources as needed.

I suspect that your listening position is more than 12 feet from the front speakers, if they really have a sensitivity of 96dB for a 2.83v input at 1 meter.
For the distance I double check with a tape measure, audyssey was right.

Paradigm Monitor 9 floorstanding loudspeaker
Drivers: 1" tweeter, 6.5" mid, (2) 6.5" woofers
FrequencyResponse: 51Hz–20kHz
Sensitivity: 96dB
Impedance: 8 ohms
Dimensions: 40.25" x 7.5" x 13.25"
Weight: 44 lbs.

I will check for input levels thank for your help.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
That all sounds fine. What were the resulting levels for all speakers? What are all the speakers?
(audyssey) ( my change)
FL -6.5 / -6.5
FR -6.5 / -6.5
C -7.5 / -5.5
Sub 1 -12 / -6.0
Sub 2 -12 / -6.0
Surr L -4.0 / -4.0
Surr R -3.5 / -3.5
Ceilling FL -2.5 /-1.5
FR -3.0 / -2.0
RL -2.0 / -1.0
RR -2.5 / -1.5

Thanks for your help.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
run your room correction again those seem to be low, LCR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
(audyssey) ( my change)
FL -6.5 / -6.5
FR -6.5 / -6.5
C -7.5 / -5.5
Sub 1 -12 / -6.0
Sub 2 -12 / -6.0
Surr L -4.0 / -4.0
Surr R -3.5 / -3.5
Ceilling FL -2.5 /-1.5
FR -3.0 / -2.0
RL -2.0 / -1.0
RR -2.5 / -1.5

Thanks for your help.
Well, for one thing if the avr set your sub to -12 that's an indication that the gain on your sub is too high, I'd lower it on the sub and get it to -11 or better. Does Denon still have you do a sub level to start before the rest of the speaker routine starts? What are the delay (distance) settings? Where are the mic positions relative to the first one (which is key for setting delay/level, that one should be at your primary seat).

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Well, for one thing if the avr set your sub to -12 that's an indication that the gain on your sub is too high, I'd lower it on the sub and get it to -11 or better. Does Denon still have you do a sub level to start before the rest of the speaker routine starts? What are the delay (distance) settings? Where are the mic positions relative to the first one (which is key for setting delay/level, that one should be at your primary seat).
When i start audyssey my sub gain was at the middle ,audyssey told me to lower de gain to 75db . So I lower the gain on my first sub to reach 75db (seem very low) and same thing on my second sub. Audyssey set de distance at 21.1' first sub and 19.4' for the second. I have a 2 places loveseat ,I put the mic right in the middle of the loveseat for the first test like audyssey said ,and after that I run the seven other possition.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When i start audyssey my sub gain was at the middle ,audyssey told me to lower de gain to 75db . So I lower the gain on my first sub to reach 75db (seem very low) and same thing on my second sub. Audyssey set de distance at 21.1' first sub and 19.4' for the second. I have a 2 places loveseat ,I put the mic right in the middle of the loveseat for the first test like audyssey said ,and after that I run the seven other possition.
75 dB is the aim of Audyssey's sub setup for both subs together for calibration purposes. It is actually deliberately low and your avr accommodates that in its final setup (in that the LFE channel is intended for 10dB more than the speaker channels.....somewhat along the lines why your avr test tones are 75dB instead of 85dB, which is more annoying, that's why they do it this way). I'd still use my seat as primary, not a point where no one sits....or is that where you sit because you're single? How did you choose sub placement and what is physical distance vs set distance? When you ran the other 7 mic positions how far away from the first and in what pattern?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
75 dB is the aim of Audyssey's sub setup for both subs together for calibration purposes. It is actually deliberately low and your avr accommodates that in its final setup (in that the LFE channel is intended for 10dB more than the speaker channels.....somewhat along the lines why your avr test tones are 75dB instead of 85dB, which is more annoying, that's why they do it this way). I'd still use my seat as primary, not a point where no one sits....or is that where you sit because you're single? How did you choose sub placement and what is physical distance vs set distance? When you ran the other 7 mic positions how far away from the first and in what pattern?
I'm seat at right and my girlfriend at left, I figure to set the mic between us for the first test. My sub is on my 2 rear corners about a feet from corners, the physical distance is 7' from sub to the middle of the loveseat. I place the mic about 2' away from the first position to the others 7 positions ,I don't remember exactly the pattern but i did what audyssey told me, the 1,2,3 position was on seat 4,5,6 at feet 7,8 behind the seat .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis