Denon vs. Pioneer Elite

C

chiro

Audiophyte
I know this is a very popular topic but needed some help. I am expanding my home theater and just bought a pair of b&w 684 and kef q5 as centerchannel and back surround.

i am getting a Denon 4308 AND 4810 for a great price and was looking to use them as a pre amp with my Marantz mm8003. I heard the Pioneer Elite sc27 and the sound was great.

Any thoughts on which one i should go with --Denon 4810, 4308 or the sc 27.

Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this is a very popular topic but needed some help. I am expanding my home theater and just bought a pair of b&w 684 and kef q5 as centerchannel and back surround.

i am getting a Denon 4308 AND 4810 for a great price and was looking to use them as a pre amp with my Marantz mm8003. I heard the Pioneer Elite sc27 and the sound was great.

Any thoughts on which one i should go with --Denon 4810, 4308 or the sc 27.

Thanks
I suggest you read the HT mag (March issue) reviews on the 4810 and the SC27. The 4810's did poorly in their 7 ch power test but I wouldn't worry about it because I think it was due to the way they did the tests. It does not make sense that the 4310 can do 7X116.6W while the 4810 can do only 7X36W. I am quite disappointed with Mr. Fleischmann who should have given readers an explanation as to why the protective cct was activated so early in one case and not the other. The test results seem to defy electrical theory. All these matters little as you are going to use the AVR as a prepro only.

S

Superfly

Audioholic Intern
I just want to add the Pioneer Elite dropped it's watts also from the sc-07 120watts to the sc-27 to 111watts for 5 channels
at 7 channels the are almost the same though at 106 watts and 107 watts.

It's not as bad as the Denon.

I wonder if Quality control or maybe it did drop this much watts for both Denon and Pioneer. More experienced people can chime in here.

I wasn't to keen on the review of the Sc-27 the guy who reviewed the -07 did a better job explaining the class D sound while this guy didn't.

Question why don't they compare current receivers to the ones they are reviewing? eg the Pioneer is more dynamic compared to Denon's less dynamic sound and explain it ...Are the highs grainy? ( This is an example so don't take it as the truth).

Last edited:
R

roscoe1224

Enthusiast
why not go with a dedicated pre/pro rather than an av reciever? you're buying amps that you wont use?

C

chiro

Audiophyte
thanks for all the info. i was at first looking for a pre amp but all were quite expensive. The pinoeer and denons were coming out to be in 1400 dollar range and the 4810 for 1800.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just want to add the Pioneer Elite dropped it's watts also from the sc-07 120watts to the sc-27 to 111watts for 5 channels
at 7 channels the are almost the same though at 106 watts and 107 watts.

It's not as bad as the Denon.

I wonder if Quality control or maybe it did drop this much watts for both Denon and Pioneer. More experienced people can chime in here.

I wasn't to keen on the review of the Sc-27 the guy who reviewed the -07 did a better job explaining the class D sound while this guy didn't.

Question why don't they compare current receivers to the ones they are reviewing? eg the Pioneer is more dynamic compared to Denon's less dynamic sound and explain it ...Are the highs grainy? ( This is an example so don't take it as the truth).
As I said I was quite disappointed with the HTMag,S&V reviews lately. I rely more on the British Home Cinema Choice ones. Regarding to protective mode during the tests for the 4810 and other Yamaha models, think about the following:

2X300W (approx.) in their 2 ch 4 ohm tests = 600W total
5X148W in their 5 ch 8 ohm tests = 740W total
7X36W in their 7 ch 8 ohm tests = 252W total

It not only defy electrical theory but also defy logic.

Logic:

1. If in the 5 ch and 2 ch tests the thing can do up to 303W into 4 ohms at 1% THD, then the amp section is not the bottle neck.

2. If in the 5 ch tests it did 740W total, the power supply is not the bottle neck that caused it to activate the protective mode when delivering only 252W total into 8 ohms in the 7 ch test.

3. This may be a weaker logically argument but still, how come the 10 lb lighter and $1,000 less 4310 had no trouble delivering 7X116.6W in his (same reviewer, Mr. Fleischmann) 7ch driven tests?

So why? May be Gene can shed some light but we can only guess. May be it is the way the protective mode is set up by Denon to detect not only the total output but also how the output ramps up if it detected all 7 channels ramp up at the same rat? Who knows?

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
As I said I was quite disappointed with the HTMag,S&V reviews lately. I rely more on the British Home Cinema Choice ones. Regarding to protective mode during the tests for the 4810 and other Yamaha models, think about the following:

2X300W (approx.) in their 2 ch 4 ohm tests = 600W total
5X148W in their 5 ch 8 ohm tests = 740W total
7X36W in their 7 ch 8 ohm tests = 252W total

It not only defy electrical theory but also defy logic.

Logic:

1. If in the 5 ch and 2 ch tests the thing can do up to 303W into 4 ohms at 1% THD, then the amp section is not the bottle neck.

2. If in the 5 ch tests it did 740W total, the power supply is not the bottle neck that caused it to activate the protective mode when delivering only 252W total into 8 ohms in the 7 ch test.

3. This may be a weaker logically argument but still, how come the 10 lb lighter and $1,000 less 4310 had no trouble delivering 7X116.6W in his (same reviewer, Mr. Fleischmann) 7ch driven tests?

So why? May be Gene can shed some light but we can only guess. May be it is the way the protective mode is set up by Denon to detect not only the total output but also how the output ramps up if it detected all 7 channels ramp up at the same rat? Who knows?
If a receiver can deliver 116 watts to 7 channels,why bother with an amp?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to know where the 4810 is going for $1800?????:eek::p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis