Denon toroidal power transformer...what is the diff?

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I've been considering sort of a sideways "upgrade" from my Denon 4806 to the new 4308ci, mainly for the wi-fi capabilities. Since wattage output in both AVR's is the same, I was wondering if the toroidal power transformer in my 4806 has any real advantage over the standard one in the 4308.

For the price, the new 4308 seems too good to be true.

I've really gotten into the wi-fi stuff lately, and love the ability to control my AV stuff from anywhere in or out of the house.

However, if wi-fi were not an issue for me, would this be a good lateral (??downward??) move to the new Denon?

Tab

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
"Wireless" control of A/V gear

Tab,
FYI, I bough a URC-300 remote and RF basestation for about $100 and can use it to control the A/V gear anywhere in the house within a 100' range. You might consider a similar control method if you don't upgrade to a receiver w/ wifi. I am not familiar with the new 4308, but a lot of users have had difficulty with the streaming media features on new receivers. The $300 squeeze box 3 seams to do much better job at the wireless streaming media function.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Toroidal power transformers are more efficient that the standard power transformers. They also have less EMI than most standard power supplies.:)

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
Toroidal power transformers are more efficient that the standard power transformers. They also have less EMI than most standard power supplies.:)
A toroid generally has a higher inductance and can generally produce a higher stable current but that, of course, depends on design. A toroid generally has a higher q-factor, which would be a better term than your misapplied use of "efficiency" which is a term that has a very different meaning in the audio/video world than you seem to be ascribing to it in this instance.

Your assertions about electromagnetic interference might also be misapplied here since a toroid does confine magnetic flux to its core in a nice, almost self-shielding way; however, the narrow, vertical electromagnetic interference ray characteristic of toroids can be quite problematic with audio equipment depending on the receiver's placement.

Regardless, toroid vs. e-core and electromagnetic interference are almost entirely theoretical discussions at this point since receiver manufacturers have compensated for such difficulties.

To the OP: you're doing this right by looking at what "must have" features you can't live without. If WiFi is that crucial to you, then the 4308CI would be a killer machine. You would not, with your equipment, notice any change in sound from your 4806.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis