shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Whats the difference and which one is more usefull on a Denon?

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Denon link is proprietory to Denon, but it does exactly the same as i-link/firewire/IEE1394 etc; it is a single cable that passes all the current audio formats including DVD-A and SACD.

HDMI will pass both digital audio and video, but unless I am mistaken, it has not yet been mandated to pass the new high-resolution formats DVD-A and SACD.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Buckle-meister said:
Denon link is proprietory to Denon, but it does exactly the same as i-link/firewire/IEE1394 etc; it is a single cable that passes all the current audio formats including DVD-A and SACD.

HDMI will pass both digital audio and video, but unless I am mistaken, it has not yet been mandated to pass the new high-resolution formats DVD-A and SACD.
So if i have this receiver and that DVD player and they both have i-link/firewire or IEE1394,one will work with the other?

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Denon link is great if you have an all Denon system, but otherwise its basically useless. The nice thing about 1394\Firewire\iLink, is that its an open standard. Any device with the ports can talk to each other.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I dont think my 2805 has any of those but my Sony DVD might. So those links would be a single cable that would pass the dig and analog signals?

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
No, the 2805 doesnt have iLink. You need at least a 4306 for that. iLink can pass Dolby or DTS signals, DVD-A PCM, or SACD DSD.. though bass management settings and the like generally dont work without a conversion to PCM, at least at the receiver end. The current version of Denonlink can do the same job.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
shokhead said:
So if i have this receiver and that DVD player and they both have i-link/firewire or IEE1394,one will work with the other?
Not quite. Because Denon link is proprietory to Denon, you'd have to have two Denon components with the d-link port to use this form of connection. With i-link etc, you can have a Yamaha component connected to a Pioneer component and still use the connection. This is what DaveOCP means when he states that it is 'open'.

J

jacobms1

Enthusiast
Actually, the 4306 doesn't have ilink either. They took it out in the last revision and replaced it with an additional HDMI so now it has 3 in 1 out HDMI but no ilink/firewire.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audio over HDMI

Buckle-meister said:

HDMI 1.1 on current receivers can send the DVD-A signal. Version 1.2 is required for SACD. Version 1.3 will probably add the new HD audio formats.

exp1orer

exp1orer

Audiophyte
Buying new components with both hdmi and ilink

Hi everyone first post. Please Help Me Put Together My Dream System!

been lurking and learning and now the time has come. I have decided on, and started buying all of my components. Now I need help with the best way to connect them to show them all off. The last decision I have to make is my dvd player.
I am going with the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi reciver (on order) with 2 hdmi in and 1 out, with 2 Ilink in and 1 usb input. These are the components I need to connect.
Sony KDS-R60XBR1 SXRD 1080p RPTV 2 hdmi and 3 ilink connectors. (just received)
scientific atlanta 8300HD dual tuner cable box with hdmi out.(just received)
Axiom Audio Epic80 350 system with rear stands. (just received)
one Dell xps desktop with dvi out and Ilink (need to transmit both audio and video)
And the missing piece of the puzzle. The dvd player. Was looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi but not sure if I need all of the features/connections on this system. My receiver does a lot of the things this dvd player claims to do. Help on connecting my system (the best way) and choosing a dvd player that has what I need for great performance, but not a lot of stuff I dont need. (would like to stay with pioneer if possible) The biggest question I have with the dvd is Hdmi or Ilink.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Exp1orer

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis