Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player Official Support Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I finally have a fully functional Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player. I started this thread to support the product during my review process.

0/+7.5IRE Issue
So far I have found an operational bug with mine. The player seems to be defaulted to 0IRE. When I switch to +7.5IRE there is no visible difference. I am interested if any other users have noticed this. I submitted this issue to Denon and they are looking into it.

Streaming TrueHD and DTSHD Bitstreams
Unless you hit the "mode" button on the remote and select "HD Audio" the player will decode the high res formats and pass them as multi channel PCM. It took me awhile to figure this out as it's not very clear in the manual. Why they put a button on the remote instead of including this in the main setup menu is beyond me. :confused:

Getting D.Link 4 to Work
This was no small task. I had to set the player HDMI control to on, followed by engaging D.link 4th after I setup the AVP-A1UDCI to HDMI Auto and D.Link.

You have to follow these instructions exactly to make it work properly:
1. First thing to check is to make sure that HDMI control is enabled on both the AVP-A1HDCI and DVD-A1UDCI.
2. Turn Denon Link off on the A1UDCI. We have to do this to change other settings first.
3. Set HDMI Audio to auto on the A1UDCI
4. Turn Denon Link 4th on in the A1UDCI
5. Set HDMI Mode to HDMI Dual (Auto)
6. Assign Denon Link to the appropriate source on the A1HDCI
7. Make sure that Input Mode is set to Auto on the A1HDCI

More coming....

Attachments

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Thanks Gene for sharing this info.:) It will be very helpful to new A1 owners.

Interesting on the +7.5IRE, I left mine at its default and haven't compared to see if there's a difference. I will try it today sometime and report back with my findings.

Also wanted to share that the Wiki for the AVP/POA has now been expanded to include the A1UD/A1UDCI as well. Any info for this player would be welcomed over there as well.:)

Seth

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
All;

I finally have a fully functional Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player. I started this thread to support the product during my review process.

0/+7.5IRE Issue
So far I have found an operational bug with mine. The player seems to be defaulted to 0IRE. When I switch to +7.5IRE there is no visible difference. I am interested if any other users have noticed this. I submitted this issue to Denon and they are looking into it.

Unless you hit the "mode" button on the remote and select "HD Audio" the player will decode the high res formats and pass them as multi channel PCM. It took me awhile to figure this out as it's not very clear in the manual. Why they put a button on the remote instead of including this in the main setup menu is beyond me. :confused:

Getting D.Link 4 to Work
This was no small task. I had to set the player HDMI control to on, followed by engaging D.link 4th after I setup the AVP-A1UDCI to HDMI Auto and D.Link.

1. First thing to check is to make sure that HDMI control is enabled on both the AVP-A1HDCI and DVD-A1UDCI.
2. Turn Denon Link off on the A1UDCI. We have to do this to change other settings first.

More coming....

You have to set up hdmi first and then select hd for sound to be bitstreamed.
I don't remember the exact sequense , but will look it up, i'm sure though there is a setting for it to play direct hd and not output lpcm.
AS for the 0 ire -7.5 ire i think it has to do with analog output only.
If you want to tweak the hdmi , go to hdmi , set for rgb out and select either limited or enhanced, if i remember corectly.
Anyhow you'll find it don't worry.
You;ll love it , it;s a nice player.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Well I just did some comparisons between 0IRE and +7.5IRE, and like you, I also noticed no difference between the two. So apparently there is a bug with this. Thanks for alerting Denon about this.:)

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
You have to set up hdmi first and then select hd for sound to be bitstreamed.
I don't remember the exact sequense , but will look it up, i'm sure though there is a setting for it to play direct hd and not output lpcm.
If you want to tweak the hdmi , go to hdmi , set for rgb out and select either limited or enhanced, if i remember corectly.
Thanks for the info John.:) Maybe you're right about the 0/+7.5IRE only being adjustable for component. We'll see what Gene finds out from Denon.

Yes, I totally agree with you, the A1 is an awesome machine! Every time I use it it puts a smile on my face.:)

Seth

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
All;

0/+7.5IRE Issue

Getting D.Link 4 to Work

More coming....
And how much would one have to pay for all these issues? ;):D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's interesting since the 0/7.5IRE setting also affects HDMI output on my DVD-5910CI. If true, I am surprised Denon didn't tell me this and instead elevated it to Japan. I will go mess with the other setting and report back.

Thanks.

*Update* page 35 of the manual confirms your findings. Stupid me :(

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Last edited by a moderator:
S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Gene.... any noticable improvements with denonlink and bluray movies?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Subjectively I think the D.link sounds better but I don't trust my ears. I think I just like seeing all 3 blue lights illuminate on the front panel. I plan on doing blind tests with/without D.link engaged for blu-ray and have someone else do the switching so I am unaware of what I am listening to. This will be in my review.

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
Subjectively I think the D.link sounds better but I don't trust my ears. I think I just like seeing all 3 blue lights illuminate on the front panel. I plan on doing blind tests with/without D.link engaged for blu-ray and have someone else do the switching so I am unaware of what I am listening to. This will be in my review.
Thanks Gene! Cant wait!

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Hi Gene , i did both a blind test and a non blind.Every time i was able to tell the subtle differense , the dl4 had. It's a slight but audible differense towards dl4.A couple of other guys in the room confirmed, better focusing , better colorsound, better - more natural vocals.Also a bit tighter and quicker bass.
Now there seems to be an issue with dl4 and avp's both hdmi's out.When both hdmi;s on avp are active and conected , the 3rd light on the player will not come on.One has to disconect no1 hdmi on the avp to get the 3rd light on the player to come on , and then if reconect the hdmi on the avp (the other still conected) the light stays on.
It is a known bug with the dl4 , but we don't know what to blame. The player or the AVP?
A member on the avs forums brought that up.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Now there seems to be an issue with dl4 and avp's both hdmi's out.When both hdmi;s on avp are active and conected , the 3rd light on the player will not come on.One has to disconect no1 hdmi on the avp to get the 3rd light on the player to come on , and then if reconect the hdmi on the avp (the other still conected) the light stays on.
It is a known bug with the dl4 , but we don't know what to blame. The player or the AVP?
A member on the avs forums brought that up.
I think that is normal operation. If you engage D.link 4, it uses its own clock for the audio stream and bypasses HDMI. Thus there is no way the other HDMI output would be able to support audio unless it can also gets that D.link clock. I suspect the D.link clock is bypassed once you have dual HDMI connectors being used which should also turn off the D.link light alltogether. I will ask Japan but as far as I am concerned, D.link should be auto disabled when running dual HDMI outputs.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
I think that is normal operation. If you engage D.link 4, it uses its own clock for the audio stream and bypasses HDMI. Thus there is no way the other HDMI output would be able to support audio unless it can also gets that D.link clock. I suspect the D.link clock is bypassed once you have dual HDMI connectors being used which should also turn off the D.link light alltogether. I will ask Japan but as far as I am concerned, D.link should be auto disabled when running dual HDMI outputs.
Thanks for that info Gene.:) And thanks also to jomark911 for asking about this.;) There have been quite a few AVP/A1UD owners that were thinking that it was a bug causing this. But now it looks like it just might be the way the AVP is designed to work. Very good info.

And once you find out from Denon Japan if this is indeed the case, I will add this most helpful info on our Wiki.

Seth

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I got an answer back from Japan regarding D.link and simultaneous HDMI outputs.

Dlink attaches to one or the other HDMI, in the setup menu you need to assign DL to the HDMI you want. Just tested our setup with AVP, DVD (HDMI #1 with DL) and another component connected via HDMI #2 out of the DVD, and DL came on for the AVP with sound (TrueHD), while the AVR-3310 output legacy DD from same Blu-ray. If no DL connected both devices played TrueHD via HDMI.

They should redo their setups, something isn’t right.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
I got an answer back from Japan regarding D.link and simultaneous HDMI outputs.

Dlink attaches to one or the other HDMI, in the setup menu you need to assign DL to the HDMI you want. Just tested our setup with AVP, DVD (HDMI #1 with DL) and another component connected via HDMI #2 out of the DVD, and DL came on for the AVP with sound (TrueHD), while the AVR-3310 output legacy DD from same Blu-ray. If no DL connected both devices played TrueHD via HDMI.

They should redo their setups, something isn’t right.

Hey gene , hi , the problem as stated is not the 2nd hdmi on the player but on the AVP.WHEN BOTH HDMI'S ON THE AVP ARE USED THEN THE 3RD LIGHT ON THE PLAYER DOES NOT COME ON.
Sorry for the capitals , but i wanted to emphasize on the differense.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Can you list the equipment you connected via HDMI? I informed Denon and they want to know more so they can try to reproduce it.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
From what I've been told by other A1UD/A1UDCI owners, is that the DL4 blue LED will light only if using HDMI Monitor Out 2 on the Denon AVP. Using HDMI Monitor Out 1 will not allow the third blue LED to light up for whatever reason.

I connected my AVP using HDMI Monitor Out 2 from the get go because of the info that was given from fellow AVP/A1UD owners. Also if the AVP's HDMI Monitor Out 1 and 2 are connected at the same time, this will also cause the DL4 blue LED to not work.

I'm not sure if this issue is also happening with the A1UD/A1UDCI being connected to the Denon 5308, as no one so far has commented on this. But I do know that AVP/A1UD(CI) owners are experiencing this.

Seth

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis