denon calibration mic

R

robert10185

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a denon 5308ci but it didn't come with the calibration mic, and i was wondering if the mic on my 4308ci will work the same.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As far as I'v been able to tell, all Denon and Marantz calibration microphones are identical (except some are silver and some black).

P

Ptide15

Audiophyte
Check the Styrofoam for the microphone, that's where I found mine

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
what is Audyssey, does it sound allot better ?
It can. It's a room correction program that calibrates your speakers so they're all level matched and even. Depending on your room and speakers it can have a pretty big impact. I've heard in some cases it can mess things up too, but my experience has always been positive and I'm pleased with the results. Especially my bass response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW there were two models of Audyssey mic IIRC.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
A few years back...
There were also many out-of-spec Audyssey microphones shipped out...
Before the error was caught.... :rolleyes:
Audyssey didn't say much about that but industry sources were well aware of the error..

Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A few years back...
There were also many out-of-spec Audyssey microphones shipped out...
Before the error was caught.... :rolleyes:
Audyssey didn't say much about that but industry sources were well aware of the error..

Just my $0.02... ;)
I would bet those mics have been out of spec. since inception. They are the junkiest of junk, and not even designed properly after I have looked into it.

The absolutely worst advice we continue to give members and especially newcomers is to run Audyssey and that probably applies to YPAO as well.

By all means use them for setting levels and distance, but do not use them to Eq your system. No good can come of that. I am also pretty sure that latest crop of Audyssey mics are actually not reliable to set sub levels.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The small condenser mic element used in the EQ microphone are cheap and have limited bandwidth... Yes, they can go 60-14kHz.. but the roll-offs @ each end are significant.... How the EQ system works depends upon the DSP processor and resources, intelligence/experience of the software creation team. But then again what is the resulting final transfer function and how does it sound? :rolleyes: Note that I have sourced the EQ mic for certain major audio brands/projects, plus having some patents in the field... Measuring/adjusting delays and levels are 1 thing but fixing certain room/acoustics is a whole different challenge... But its impact for unit sales and marketing fluff are very significant...

Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The small condenser mic element used in the EQ microphone are cheap and have limited bandwidth... Yes, they can go 60-14kHz.. but the roll-offs @ each end are significant.... How the EQ system works depends upon the DSP processor and resources, intelligence/experience of the software creation team. But then again what is the resulting final transfer function and how does it sound? :rolleyes: Note that I have sourced the EQ mic for certain major audio brands/projects, plus having some patents in the field... Measuring/adjusting delays and levels are 1 thing but fixing certain room/acoustics is a whole different challenge... But its impact for unit sales and marketing fluff are very significant...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yes, you are correct. This whole system is a massive con from start to finish.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, you are correct. This whole system is a massive con from start to finish.
But it sure beats having to deal with the results of people destroying equipment due to a total lack of knowledge of how an equalizer is supposed to be used. The number of speakers that were cacked when graphic equalizers were common was mind-boggling and this was during the time when most mainstream speakers only had a hint of a crossover.

These aren't for people who come close to the 'serious hobbyist' level of AV use or higher, but for those who want a larger "better sound bubble', it can be OK. I have used it with mixed results- it seemed that leaving the mic in the primary location for two tests worked better, but I preferred to use REW and adjust manually. I even used REW and my ears for distance settings since I would usually hear phase problems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis