Denon AVR-X6300H / AVR-X4300H Atmos AV Receiver Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon's new AVR-X6300H AVR-X4300H are powerhouse home theater AVRs loaded with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and optional Auro 3D immersive audio upgrade. They feature the latest 4K/UHD video (including upscaling of legacy DVDs) and are the first receivers featuring HEOS wireless audio. Add to that the X6300H's 11 channels of on-board amplification for a built-in 7.4.1 setup and you have an awesome addition to Denon's lineup.

Read: Denon AVR-X6300H / AVR-X4300H Atmos AV Receiver Preview

M

Martin Logan Lover

Audiophyte
I had a Denon 5.1 receiver...it cost over $1200....it would shut off for no good reason...but then resetting the micro processor would bring it back...On the 25th month...it died and did not come back on....I brought it to a Denon Dealer in Gainsville...they said all the output components were dead and it would cost about $600 to repair...I called Denon and they said, the Gainsville was NOT an authorised service center and I needed to send it to a A.Service on the east coast of Florida that they specified....it cost $55 to ship it and $65 for an evalution...they said it required about $500 in repairs & parts...I called Denon and they said...they would sell me a B Stock receiver.....so after spending about $165 on this I got nothing from Denon....This product is made in the same factory as Marantz in China....after the Nuclear explosion in Japan some years ago...all production has been sent from Japan....and the parts and labor is all Chinese.....I would NEVER buy their products again...BTW Mitt Romney owns this company, D & M....a BainCapital Company. Beware of spending good money and then getting screwed.

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
The 6300 is made in Japan like all other Denon flagship models.

M

Martin Logan Lover

Audiophyte
After the nuclear disaster in Japan....there was a meeting in Japan...because of the plant location so close to the Nuclear event...it was decided to move all production to Japan.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I had a Denon 5.1 receiver...it cost over $1200....it would shut off for no good reason...but then resetting the micro processor would bring it back...On the 25th month...it died and did not come back on....I brought it to a Denon Dealer in Gainsville...they said all the output components were dead and it would cost about $600 to repair...I called Denon and they said, the Gainsville was NOT an authorised service center and I needed to send it to a A.Service on the east coast of Florida that they specified....it cost $55 to ship it and $65 for an evalution...they said it required about $500 in repairs & parts...I called Denon and they said...they would sell me a B Stock receiver.....so after spending about $165 on this I got nothing from Denon....This product is made in the same factory as Marantz in China....after the Nuclear explosion in Japan some years ago...all production has been sent from Japan....and the parts and labor is all Chinese.....I would NEVER buy their products again...BTW Mitt Romney owns this company, D & M....a BainCapital Company. Beware of spending good money and then getting screwed.
You should really find out about a company before posting this crap. Also, I would bet that if you have used anything from these companies, you have patronized Bain Capital- AMC Theatres, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Canada Goose, DIC Entertainment, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), iHeartMedia, Sealy, Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Warner Music Group, Fingerhut, The Weather Channel, and Apple Leisure Group, which includes AMResorts and Apple Vacations.[3]

Romney has been gone from Bain since 2002.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Presently for Denon AVRs the highest model is assembled in Japan, all others are outsourced through Inkel Corp in Vietnam...

Just my $0.02.. ;)

M

Martin Logan Lover

Audiophyte
Following a major earthquake, a 15-metre tsunami disabled the power supply and cooling of three Fukushima Daiichi reactors, causing a nuclear accident on 11 March 2011. ....inside of a month ....D & M executives met in Japan and decided to move Denon and Marantz products to be made in CHINA.......I have a close friend who flew to Japan and was in that meeting.
Bain Capital Fails in Its Bid to Restructure D&M Holdings Buyout Financing
Posted on September 4, 2014 by Ted

In February, we told you about a report from Reuters that Bain Capital was seeking to restructure their financing package originally constructed when they purchased D&M Holdings (now known as the D+M Group) back in 2008. The original package was said to total ¥74.1 billion ($725.2 million), the senior debt portion of which is maturing this month. Reuters suggested at the time that Bain may experience difficulties getting a new deal, despite their financial prowess.

Now we learn that Reuters was right – Bain Capital has failed in its attempt to restructure the D&M Holdings debt.

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
after doing some math for 6300, in my opinion this is the first denon high end receiver that will shut itself down when outputting 70watts(-3db) for 11 channel with 8 ohm dummy load, because it will consume 770watt which is higher than the sticker behind the unit(750w).

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
after doing some math for 6300, in my opinion this is the first denon high end receiver that will shut itself down when outputting 70watts(-3db) for 11 channel with 8 ohm dummy load, because it will consume 770watt which is higher than the sticker behind the unit(750w).

Ur assumptions and math calculations are incorrect.. :cool:
@ best the 6300 power suppply is only 60% efficient. Also UL/CSA uses a different method for rear panel watts consumption...

Just my $0.02... ;)

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
Ur assumptions and math calculations are incorrect.. :cool:
@ best the 6300 power suppply is only 60% efficient. Also UL/CSA uses a different method for rear panel watts consumption...

Just my $0.02... ;)
well, I now learned that EI Core is not as efficient as Toroid transformer. And the 6300 is using EI core so yes like you said, this poop isn't going anywhere.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
well, I now learned that EI Core is not as efficient as Toroid transformer. And the 6300 is using EI core so yes like you said, this poop isn't going anywhere.
Efficiency of transformers are typically in the mid to high 90's. The overall efficiency of class AB amps such as those in Denon and Marantz AVRs could be much higher than 60% under fully loaded to slightly overloaded condition. As MCode alluded to, you also should not rely on the back plate consumption figures in "calculating" the rated power output of such AVRs for several reasons. This can get complicated very quickly. If you want to learn, do a much wider and deeper search and ask specific questions that you don't/can't understand in appropriate forums, or friends who are practicing electrical/electronic engineers, preferably those on the power side, or audio electronics even better. The Audioholic site is a good starting point, obviously.

M

Mario Laranjeiras

Audiophyte
Please, check if AVR-X4300H Dolby Atmos / DTS:X feature isn't the same of AVR-X6300H, I mean, "Yes (up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2) WITH the need of an external amplifier". Hugs

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
So, having just received my Sony 900E TV, I'm given to understand that my Denon AVR-X5200 is not fully compatible with 4K signals coming from my Oppo UDP-203. Thus, I am using two HDMI cables from the Oppo, one going directly to the Sony TV, and the other going to the Denon 5200 for audio. This is not an ideal situation, as I can no longer see the Denon overlay on my TV. This is a problem because, not only can I not see my Denon settings, but neither can I "see" the music files that I play off my latptop pc via the Internet Music feature of the Denon. I play a lot of flac files via Media Monkey and I'm used to being able to scroll through them by looking at them on the TV screen via the direct HDMI cable coming from the 5200.

So, I started thinking about a newer receiver and the 4300/6300, which are supposed to be fully 4K compatible, came up. As to the 4300, I'm not too excited to "downgrade" to a lighter, less powerful receiver than my 5200. Also, my 5200 is manufactured in Japan, while the 4300 and 4400 seem to be made in Vietnam. Now, the 6300 is made in Japan and I feel more on the quality and performance level of my 5200.

I also need to know that either the 4300 or 6300 will play SACD and DVD-Audio discs over HDMI. I see in the Denon specs that they are supposed to play SACD over HDMI, but I do not see anything about DVD Audio.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So, having just received my Sony 900E TV, I'm given to understand that my Denon AVR-X5200 is not fully compatible with 4K signals coming from my Oppo UDP-203. Thus, I am using two HDMI cables from the Oppo, one going directly to the Sony TV, and the other going to the Denon 5200 for audio. This is not an ideal situation, as I can no longer see the Denon overlay on my TV. This is a problem because, not only can I not see my Denon settings, but neither can I "see" the music files that I play off my latptop pc via the Internet Music feature of the Denon. I play a lot of flac files via Media Monkey and I'm used to being able to scroll through them by looking at them on the TV screen via the direct HDMI cable coming from the 5200.

So, I started thinking about a newer receiver and the 4300/6300, which are supposed to be fully 4K compatible, came up. As to the 4300, I'm not too excited to "downgrade" to a lighter, less powerful receiver than my 5200. Also, my 5200 is manufactured in Japan, while the 4300 and 4400 seem to be made in Vietnam. Now, the 6300 is made in Japan and I feel more on the quality and performance level of my 5200.

I also need to know that either the 4300 or 6300 will play SACD and DVD-Audio discs over HDMI. I see in the Denon specs that they are supposed to play SACD over HDMI, but I do not see anything about DVD Audio.
For DVD-Audio, it has nothing to do with the AVR, it is the media player that does the DVD-A decoding and output in PCM via HDMI to the AVR.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
For DVD-Audio, it has nothing to do with the AVR, it is the media player that does the DVD-A decoding and output in PCM via HDMI to the AVR.
Thanks! So, considering that I am running only a 4.0 system, are there any new features or capabilities that newer receivers offer that would argue for me to go with a receiver than the 4300 or 6300?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! So, considering that I am running only a 4.0 system, are there any new features or capabilities that newer receivers offer that would argue for me to go with a receiver than the 4300 or 6300?
You can do a comparison for the 4300, 4400, 6300, 6400 at the Denon Website. The current year model should have a couple more new features that you may or may not need. I can't think of anything that could impact sound quality.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
You can do a comparison for the 4300, 4400, 6300, 6400 at the Denon Website. The current year model should have a couple more new features that you may or may not need. I can't think of anything that could impact sound quality.
Thanks! I just used the Denon website to compare 5200, 4400, and 6400, and it actually seems the 5200 has a few advantages over both of the others. Some features the 5200 has that the others do not:

Mono Block Power Amp Construction
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (PRO)
DLNA Certified
Photo Streaming (JPEG)
Internet Radio(more complete version)
HD Radio

So, I really want to just keep this 5200 if I can become proficient with operating it with the two HDMI cables coming from the Oppo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! I just used the Denon website to compare 5200, 4400, and 6400, and it actually seems the 5200 has a few advantages over both of the others. Some features the 5200 has that the others do not:

Mono Block Power Amp Construction
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (PRO)
DLNA Certified
Photo Streaming (JPEG)
Internet Radio(more complete version)
HD Radio

So, I really want to just keep this 5200 if I can become proficient with operating it with the two HDMI cables coming from the Oppo.
I am quite sure they all have the same Audyssey MultEQ XT32, not pro. For pro you have to pay extra it and used to be available for professional installer only. I am even sure if Audyssey still offer the pro, now that they have the Audyssey Editor App that allows people do a lot of custom tweaking post Audyssey run. The 4400 and 6400 are compatible with the Audyssey Editor App but not the 5200. The 6400, like the 6300 are definitely mono block (they call it monlithic amp design) design. Looks like that comparison tool has a few errors for sure.

Overall the 5200 should fit between the 4400 and the 6300, but there is no successor to the 5200 as such. If you don't need HDCP 2.2 then the 5200 is a good one to keep.

Not sure if you know there is detailed review by AH.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x5200w

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, yes, there's no mention of Audyssey Pro in the 5200 owner's manual. Denon does claim monolithic amp design for the 6400 but not the 4400, although the description of the 4400 amp design sounds the same.

After perusing the all the Denon spec sheets, Denon does not claim DNLA Certified for either the 4400 or 6400. They do for the 7200 and 8500. I'm not sure what this means, but, as I type, I'm listening to flac files with my 5200, via Media Monkey on my laptop over Wi-Fi, so I wouldn't want to lose this functionality. Man, these flac files that I burned from CDs sound really good, possibly even better than when I play the same CD in my Oppo 203 via HDMI into the 5200.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis