Denon AVR-X4200W vs. Denon AVR-X4300H

C

canon007

Enthusiast
I'm looking to get a new receiver and wanted to know what improvements they made in the AVR-X4300H vs the older AVR-X4300W.

The 4200W is on sale for $999 CDN, while the new 4300H is $1999. What would i be missing with the 4200W over the new model? Not asking if the new one worth the extra $1000 (probably not), but wanted to know if there are key features that would be missing, or anything new that the old receiver doesn't have that i may regret later on??

Back when i bought my current Onkyo, it was $400 less than the new model that could process 3D blu-ray. At the time, i thought i didn't care about 3D and wants with the cheaper unit - which i know regret because i'm getting a HD 3D projector and will now need a new receiver. Is there anything the new receiver has that i would regret having later??

For the money $999 CDN - is there another receiver other then Denon 4200W I should be considering??? I may use this receiver with my Energy Connoisseur speakers for now, or purchase KEF speakers that were suggested to me in another thread (100W to 125W a channel). Is this receiver overkill for those speakers??? Will this receiver be a good option for the next couple of years until i upgrade my speakers??

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Back when i bought my current Onkyo, it was $400 less than the new model that could process 3D blu-ray. At the time, i thought i didn't care about 3D and wants with the cheaper unit - which i know regret because i'm getting a HD 3D projector and will now need a new receiver. Is there anything the new receiver has that i would regret having later??
The 4200 is quite current in features but in the unlikely event that you found yourself needing something else, there will likely be other alternate solutions available when the time comes. For example, back then when 3D started to become more popular, you could have your 3D projector's hdmi output connected to the TV directly to watch 3D, and still use the Onkyo for audio using, for example, some sort of HDMI splitter.

S

Suthar

Enthusiast
I'm in the same debate on upgrading from a Denon 2313CI to the X4200W since it's on sale in Canada. Some people say Yamaha is better but is it really? Does anyone have the X4200W that can provide feedback?

Yamaha doesn't state it can handle 4 ohms for all channels, my Martin Logans are all 4 ohms.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in the same debate on upgrading from a Denon 2313CI to the X4200W since it's on sale in Canada. Some people say Yamaha is better but is it really? Does anyone have the X4200W that can provide feedback?

Yamaha doesn't state it can handle 4 ohms for all channels, my Martin Logans are all 4 ohms.
In Direct Mode/Bypass Mode, you won't hear a difference between Yamaha vs Denon. But if you love or prefer Audyssey Dynamic EQ or another EQ system (Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.), then go with that.

S

Suthar

Enthusiast
EQ does matter but I'm looking for stability as well. Denon puts down on paper their amp can handle 4 ohm load but Yamaha doesn't, does it really matter?
If anyone is using Martin Logans please advise what amp you use, specially the motion 60XT speakers along with the 50XT centers. Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
EQ does matter but I'm looking for stability as well. Denon puts down on paper their amp can handle 4 ohm load but Yamaha doesn't, does it really matter?
If anyone is using Martin Logans please advise what amp you use, specially the motion 60XT speakers along with the 50XT centers. Thanks
Those 4 ohm rating offered by some receivers were generally achieved/obtained (from the approval authorities such as UL, CSA) by simply limiting the power supply output voltage via a so called impedance selector switch. The fact is, if you leave the selector at 8 ohm, you will lose the 4 ohm rating technically speaking, but if you set it to 4 ohms you will limit the maximum output of the unit significantly.

For more details, I suggest you read the article in the link below.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1/amplifier-and-power-supply-basics

M

Matthew Lavelle

Audiophyte
I would buy the Denon AVR-X3200W. It has nearly the exact same specs as the 4200, and should cost considerably less (at least it does in the US). Amazon has it for $799, which is a shame, because I bought mine from Amazon 6 weeks ago for $599. Look around for some deals on this unit. The 4200 has slightly more power (125w v/s 105w), which did not matter to me, since I use all external amps. If you can get it for $200+ less than the 4200, then I would buy it. You could use the savings to buy a small external amp, if you are only driving 2 speakers. If it comes down to just a $100-$150 price difference, then get the 4200.

M

Matthew Lavelle

Audiophyte

If you are driving Martin Logan speakers, you need more power than an AVR can provide. Buy a receiver with pre-amp outputs, and buy an external amp or 2 or 3 or 4 to drive the Martin Logans. You are really under-utilizing them trying to drive them with a receiver. I don't have the AVR-X4200, but I have the AVR-X3200, which is nearly the same unit. There is very little different between them. I think it is an excellent AVR, but the biggest feature for me was the pre-amp outputs, which allowed me to use external amps to drive all of my speakers. As receivers go, I think it is pretty damn good. It actually improved my video signal, which was an unexpected bonus. I was using a 1 year old Yamaha RX-V477, and it was by no means a cheap unit (well, about 1/2 the price of the Denon). I retired it because I needed pre-amp outputs for a major speaker upgrade. The Denon is light years ahead of it in terms of quality and features. The sound I'd hard to compare, because I have never connected speakers to the Denon's speaker outputs.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would just get the last year model and save the money for other upgrades.

S

Suthar

Enthusiast
I ended up getting the X4200w cause I got it for $969 cdn. Tested it out and it was good but the antenna was loose out of the box, software required some power cycling when connecting to wifi. After reading so many debating I was thinking to try Yamaha, so now I went and got the Yamaha RX-A3060. I have to say audessy was so much easier to work with vs YPAO. I think the Yamaha has more customizations but the power supply was questionable seeing its only 400watts vs the Denon at 670watts. I still need some time to play with YPAO, looking at tutorials to do custom calibration.
Some say Denon can output more watts vs Yamaha rated the same but I'm not sure if that's true.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
but the power supply was questionable seeing its only 400watts vs the Denon at 670watts.
Some say Denon can output more watts vs Yamaha rated the same but I'm not sure if that's true.
No you can't simply go by the so called power consumption figures for several reasons, not when comparing models from different manufacturers. Do a search on the topic if you want further details. I am quite sure the RX-A3060 has a larger power supply than the Denon AVR-X4200W, but without seeing any credible bench test data, that would be just my educated guess. The 3060 is more comparable to the Denon AVR-X6200W (or the 6300).

Last edited:
I

ice cube

Enthusiast
Hi all.
What are the major differences between 4300h and 6300h.

I don't want Heos and I don't care if extra watts. Are there any difference that justifies the extra $$$.
Thank you in advance

R

Rudi

Audiophyte
hey guys,
there is a huge difference between 4200 and 4300...

the 4300 can 5.1.4 native
the 4300 has the eq now from the 6200.
+ heos.

so for me the 4300 is the better 6200!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
hey guys,
there is a huge difference between 4200 and 4300...

the 4300 can 5.1.4 native
the 4300 has the eq now from the 6200.
+ heos.

so for me the 4300 is the better 6200!
Of course it is better, but not $1000 better for people who won't be using the extra features. I would say for a lot of people, the 4300 is probably no more than $200 better.

R

Rudi

Audiophyte
shure.
but what i also mean, in fact they are no longer comparible because the step is so much forward.

the gap is bigger then between 4200 and 6200.. and the difference there is 1000€ too

so for somebody who was interessted in the 6200 (like me) the 4300 is the better choose now. (and the 4300 is 200€ cheaper then the 6200 at the moment)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
shure.
but what i also mean, in fact they are no longer comparible because the step is so much forward.

the gap is bigger then between 4200 and 6200.. and the difference there is 1000€ too

so for somebody who was interessted in the 6200 (like me) the 4300 is the better choose now. (and the 4300 is 200€ cheaper then the 6200 at the moment)
In terms of value, I agree the 4300 is a better deal than the 6200 but I still don't see a big gap between the 4200 and 4300 for people who are very happy and practically limited to 7.1 so I guess I must be missing something. In the end people who are facing their choices can do good in using the website's comparable before making their decision.

The 6X00 and 7X00 are always going to attract those who are willing to pay a premium for the made in Japan (or US,UK etc.) thing.

R

Rudi

Audiophyte
yes i see your point.
as more - maybe we looking forward a new 3xxx series :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis