Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The AVR-A100 is missing almost nothing in its feature set. It has nine internal amps with discrete mono amp construction. The 41lbs AVR-A100 sports 140 watts per channel and is rated to drive 4 ohm speakers. These are paired with 11.2 channel analogue audio outputs seven (six on the back, one on the front) HDMI 1.4a inputs that are 3D, ARC, and CEC enabled with two outputs, and supports up to three zones of audio (can power them as well) and two zones of video (Zone 2 is relegated to a Composite connection only). There is support for all the latest HD audio formats, all the latest DSPs, the best room correction, and dual subwoofer support. Its got Anchor Bay VRS video processing on board which will upconvert all your video sources to 1080p along with video calibration adjustments and GUI overlay. While $2500 seems like a chunk of change, it really isn't considering the cutting edge nature of this product.

Discuss "Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That looks like an amazing piece of gear. I would love to have that in my rack, does AH plan to do a review of this?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok .. had to take a look at the back panel to see if it included a "phono" input and it does; ya know because CD is dying and umm yeah!! :p It puts this receiver into my nice to have category. ;)

JimmyTango

JimmyTango

Audioholic Intern
what are the differences vs the 4311 ?
2 year longer warranty, glossy faceplate, lead feet, some Denon history book and a signed cert buy the engineer!

if you can get it for within $200 of the 4311, an additional 2 year manufacturer warranty may be worth it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not that it matters but if it still sports AL24+ instead of AL24 Advanced for all channels, then it would appear that on the audio side, Denon ranks it with the old 38XX/431X and not with the 430X and 48XX series. Again, just an insignificant point but it does seem in recent year Denon offers their AL24 advanced feature on their more expensive models.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
2 year longer warranty, glossy faceplate, lead feet, some Denon history book and a signed cert buy the engineer!

if you can get it for within $200 of the 4311, an additional 2 year manufacturer warranty may be worth it.
+1, except for people who believe (obviously I don't) in the hypes of have ABT VRS on board is important.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Discuss "Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.
Pretty hard to discuss something when the product is not even listed on the manufacturer's website.

Do you guys have some sort of privilege that allows you to find out about new products before anyone else?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Pretty hard to discuss something when the product is not even listed on the manufacturer's website.

Do you guys have some sort of privilege that allows you to find out about new products before anyone else?

Actually, it is on the Denon website - it's under a seperate section (Anniversary Collection) from the normal lines of A/V receivers & processors:

http://tiny.cc/0rxja

There's no specifications or detailed information on there though...

B

Buckster

Audioholic Intern
+1, except for people who believe (obviously I don't) in the hypes of have ABT VRS on board is important.:D
:) doesn't the 4311 have ABT VRS on board as well ?

I hadn't realised price was as close as mentionned to the 4311 - at those sort of differences in prices its worth it - thought it was much more - I'd go for a special edition for not much more - even if for 2nd hand value further down the line :) and for the extended warranty :)

I see audioholics has in their 2 previews an internal shot of both the A100 and 4311 - they are worth having a look at for comparison

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
:) doesn't the 4311 have ABT VRS on board as well ?
I doubt it. The XX10 series surely do and they tell you so in the product sheets. There are no mentioning of the presence of the ABT VRS in the product sheets of the XX11 series products.

F

fyzziks

Audiophyte
I doubt it. The XX10 series surely do and they tell you so in the product sheets. There are no mentioning of the presence of the ABT VRS in the product sheets of the XX11 series products.
I have the 4311, and it definitely has an ABT-2015 video processor chip in it.

B

Buckster

Audioholic Intern
and if you look at the Audoholics "internal" pic of the 4311 - you can just about make out the VRS logo on one of the larger chips on the top

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
and if you look at the Audoholics "internal" pic of the 4311 - you can just about make out the VRS logo on one of the larger chips on the top
Thanks, that is a nice surprise even though for some people it is not a deciding factor.

This is probably the first time a manufacturer did not mention such an often sought feature in its feature/specs list. They did so with the 1910 through 4810 and yet never mention a word about it in the 1911 through 4311 in the product sheet or the manual.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Given the similarities of receivers and knowing that Denon wanted to distinguish this unit, it is a real shame they did not really do anything to make this unit visually stand out!
To all appearances, it looks like just another $400 to $1500 AVR.

The Marantz AV7005 is an excellent example of a unit that turns heads and makes you look closer:

Obviously, they wouldn't want to copy the Marantz, but if Denon had done something like this, I think they could have easy charged another $500-$1000 and sold the crap out of them as a true collector's item. They are not catering to the "value" market, and I believe anyone who has the bucks to spend $2500 on a receiver, would be happier paying more and getting something more unique and visually intriguing.

I expect they'll probably do fine with what they are selling, but they are missing the opportunity to produce something special that is likely to become a bit of a "signature" product for Denon.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Personally I really dislike the look of that Marantz. I don't completely disagree with you though KEW, I do think Denon could have done something different. Perhaps make it bigger and look beefier, like the 5805? That's a receiver that turns heads!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Given the similarities of receivers and knowing that Denon wanted to distinguish this unit, it is a real shame they did not really do anything to make this unit visually stand out!
To all appearances, it looks like just another $400 to $1500 AVR.

The Marantz AV7005 is an excellent example of a unit that turns heads and makes you look closer:

Obviously, they wouldn't want to copy the Marantz, but if Denon had done something like this, I think they could have easy charged another $500-$1000 and sold the crap out of them as a true collector's item. They are not catering to the "value" market, and I believe anyone who has the bucks to spend $2500 on a receiver, would be happier paying more and getting something more unique and visually intriguing.

I expect they'll probably do fine with what they are selling, but they are missing the opportunity to produce something special that is likely to become a bit of a "signature" product for Denon.
Love the understated look of that Marantz. Its a classic beauty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis