Denon AVR-5308CI(A) and AVP-A1HDCI Update Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Would you pay $1000 to update a $5500 AV receiver to the latest firmware and features? Me neither. OK, to spend that kind of money - first of all you have to be the type of person who actually buys a $5500 AV receiver like Denon's AVR-5308CI. And believe me, there are a lot of you out there - maybe not YOU. But how about the guy who was installing them in the homes of his clients...? That's where this update starts to really make a lot of sense. If you installed this AV receiver back in '09 and your client calls you wondering why their new 3D Blu-ray player doesn't work, this is your solution. If you're a die-hard enthusiast and you don't want to give up your flagship receiver, but want to add the enhanced benefits of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - now you can. This upgrade isn't going to be for everybody, but we do appreciate how Denon is extending the life of one of its most popular flagship products.

Discuss "Denon AVR-5308CI(A) and AVP-A1HDCI Update Video Review" here. Read the article.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
if i had to pay to update the firmware on my oppo, i would be somewhat pissed. am i the only one on earth thinking why isn't this free (or at least minimal charge to cover the new circuit board)? especially if you paid almost 6K for it in the first place?

J

JonFo

Audiophyte
As an AVP owner, this was great news when we first heard about it last year.

As for the price, ouch, but totally worth it.
Denon provides free firmware updates, and I've applied seven or eight since I purchased my unit in '09.

Now, in '12, paying $1K (installed) for a totally new DSP board (with four current gen DSPs), labor and all that is completely reasonable IMHO.

XT32 alone is worth the price of admission. I even paid $700 for the Audyssey pro kit several years ago and that was worth it then, and now can re-apply on top of XT32 to get the ultimate our of what is (after the update) the best pre-pro on the market.

Kudos to Denon for supporting us enthusiastic owners and keeping this unit up-to-date.

S

scb2scb2

Audiophyte
I think the review missed a few important details of the upgrade that explain the price.

1) it was mostly aimed at the avp owners so even more expensive box. I paid about $10k when it was released in europe. So being able for 1200euro's to upgrade large parts is very nice since it keeps the machine in the game it saves me money since i don't have to switch to something else (assuming there is something like the avp for that price).

2) They didn't replace the hdmi board, they where able to upgrade that part in the fpga's but to reprogram them special tools are needed so it had to be shipped back to denon.

3) What they did replace/add is a whole new 'brain' at the core of each modern pre/pro these days is cpu power and memory. What denon needed todo for xt32 and the new audio formats is replace that whole part. They added 3 new DSP's and memory of a much more powerful model. They also added memory to be able to run some of the new modes and create some more headroom.

4) These (both the avr and avp) are 60lbs (30kg). so part of the cost was them sending you a new box, shipping and sending it back (depends on country a little).

What we have seen is that most high-end brands promise to update but don't. If they did do updates (a few did classe for example) the price seems to be between $500 and $1000 for less things they replaced. Not saying the update is cheap but if you consider it was aimed for the avp its good value and i was happy to pay it to extend the life of my avp/poa by 3 or 4 years.

Daniel.

P

pmiranda

Audiophyte
I think it's great. I just wish they'd continue to support older gear just as long, especially with top of the line power amps on board, but I guess that's what separates are for.

kune

Audiophyte
I wish to purchase a new Denon AVP-A1 HDCI. I called Denon to inquire how to receive the processor with the newest upgrade AVP-A1HDCI (A) installed. I was informed that I would need to purchase the AVP-A1HDCI (old model) for $7500 and then send the unit back with an extra $1000 for the upgrade. This seems ludicrous. If I purchased this model in 2008, I would be happy to be offered the option to upgrade. However, why should I be punished and inconvienced because I wish to purchase the processor today? Any thoughts?

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
This is very old but I thought it was still timely given that Denon doesn't even sell pre-processors anymore. That said, it is (was) heartening that Denon offered owners the option of an update. The killer was the 1K price tag. Now the same pre-pro can be had for under 2K used. The flurry of "new" modes was too dizzying for anyone to care (really, how many people are running height channels???), while room correction was given second consideration. I would still consider getting one of these behemoths as long as it came with the upgrade so I could enjoy the XT32 rc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is very old but I thought it was still timely given that Denon doesn't even sell pre-processors anymore. That said, it is (was) heartening that Denon offered owners the option of an update. The killer was the 1K price tag. Now the same pre-pro can be had for under 2K used. The flurry of "new" modes was too dizzying for anyone to care (really, how many people are running height channels???), while room correction was given second consideration. I would still consider getting one of these behemoths as long as it came with the upgrade so I could enjoy the XT32 rc.
I have both the 1st Gen 5308 & AVP-A1HD, which only have Audyssey XT. I did try out the Denon 4311, which did have XT32, which must be better than XT. But in my experience, I didn't feel a significant difference.

So IOW, even if my AVP-A1 & 5308 have XT32, I still would continue to use Audyssey BYPASS mode with Dynamic EQ, which is the ONLY thing I feel makes a significant improvement for me.

So I'm glad I did not pay $1,200 for the XT32 upgrade.

Funny thing is that a brand new X4100 (has XT32) is only $800.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis