Denon AVR-4520ci bargain to grab

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon AVR-4520 is going to be replaced with a newer model soon. If you want the best bang for the buck grab one of the 4520's before they are gone. I have had one for a while now and it's amp and feature set are a marvel. It will out drive the heavier Onkyo's and come very close to the best that Denon has made thus far.
It is very reliable with 3 year warranty. The Engineers and Japanese production put out an Electical master piece with this one. This is just a friendly heads up!

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have been keeping tabs on the 4520 thread over at AVS and the boat may have already sailed. BB had them for 999 and there was another coupon for 10% off that. From what I have read they are all gone except for a few at local stores. I see refurbs are down to a bit over a grand as well which is still a great buy. If you don't care about Atmos this thing has every other feature I know of.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I still have mine in the box, and not sure If I am going to keep it, GREAT unit, but too much of am impulse buy and I am thinking of going back to my original Halo 2 Channel Plan. If I do decide to sell it I will give AH people first dibs on it at cost (my cost w/taxes)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the only two people i personally know who have this model, have told me that their units are dead. not sure if it's a fluke-coincidence though.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
I picked one up at bb for 999, I absolutely couldn't be happier with mine.

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
Speaking of nice Denon's... My local hi-fi shop has a STACK of AVR-X4000s priced at $799. I couldn't believe it -- that's what I paid just 10 months ago for a refurb from A4L. Incredible the way the price drops once the new model comes out....

If anyone wants one the store is Listen Up. You can probably buy it online from them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think we can thank the newer AVR models and Dolby ATMOS. :D

I've seen brand new Denon 4311 for $1225 shipped and Denon 3311/3312 for $550 shipped.

So I've always expected the X4000 to be $650 once the X4001 is fully released.

But I never expected brand new Denon 4520 to be $1K. Maybe around $1225-$1300.

Another reason I would never buy refurbished.

Why buy a refurbished Denon 4520 for $1100 when you can buy a brand new one for $1000? :eek:

O

OdinGOW

Audioholic Intern
There's a LOT of reviews on amazon of people having problems with the 4520.... That's was the deciding factor for me as to why not to get it.... I want a reliable unit.... Tho I'm also reading many people have had problems with the x4000 going into safe mode or something after a few months?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Tho I'm also reading many people have had problems with the x4000 going into safe mode or something after a few months?
Don't know about that. I can say that on occasion, my wife will put our X4000 on at VERY low volume, ~ -65db, just for very low background while she's reading. A few times during those occasions, the system will mute. It is still on, "Mute" is not actually activated, but the system goes silent. I don't know if that's the "safe mode" you mention or not. Power off/on and it always resumes.

This has happened 3-4 times, and only at very, very low volume. Never when anywhere near normal listening levels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There's a LOT of reviews on amazon of people having problems with the 4520.... That's was the deciding factor for me as to why not to get it.... I want a reliable unit.... Tho I'm also reading many people have had problems with the x4000 going into safe mode or something after a few months?
Just how many people are we actually talking about?

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Just how many people are we actually talking about?
+1 the 4520 has been out for a while now and I would imagine if there was a lot of problems people on here or other forms would be all over it? Just saying can't always trust all the amazon reviews :)

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I've had a AVR-4520ci for some time now and am totally pleased with this made in Japan Denon! You should treat some bad reviews in Amazon with caution! There are a bunch of happy owners out there!
+1 the 4520 has been out for a while now and I would imagine if there was a lot of problems people on here or other forms would be all over it? Just saying can't always trust all the amazon reviews :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I didn't already own the AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI, I would have grabbed 2 of the 4520 for $1K each @ Best Buy in a heartbeat.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon AVR-4520 is going to be replaced with a newer model soon. If you want the best bang for the buck grab one of the 4520's before they are gone. I have had one for a while now and it's amp and feature set are a marvel. It will out drive the heavier Onkyo's and come very close to the best that Denon has made thus far.
It is very reliable with 3 year warranty. The Engineers and Japanese production put out an Electical master piece with this one. This is just a friendly heads up!
I purchased the service manual for the AVR-4520ci just for S & G's. It has 2 ea. 80 V 22,000uF Block Capacitors!

L

laulau

Enthusiast
^^^

Does the SM show any specs re: preamp output voltage? Inquiring minds would like to know...;)

thx

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
1.2V...
Page 200, Operation Guide.

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Taken from the specifications page of the service manual.
Analog
Input sensitivity/Input impedance : [FONT=Arial,Arial]200 mV/47 kΩ[/FONT]
Frequency response : [FONT=Arial,Arial]10 Hz – 100 kHz — +1, –3 dB (DIRECT mode)[/FONT]
S/N : [FONT=Arial,Arial]102 dB (IHF–A weighted, DIRECT mode)[/FONT]
Distortion : [FONT=Arial,Arial]0.005 % (20 Hz – 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)[/FONT]
Rated output : [FONT=Arial,Arial]1.2 V[/FONT]

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
^^^

Does the SM show any specs re: preamp output voltage? Inquiring minds would like to know...;)

thx
Just a cautionary note, be very careful when comparing pre-out voltage specs. Manufacturers don't seem to follow the same rules, standards or practice. Some specify "rated" output such as Denon, Marantz (1.2V), some Yamaha (1.0V) while others specify "Maximum" output such as NAD, CA. I have seen very low numbers from lab measurements of high end preamps such as McIntosh, Pass Lab, Quad etc., and have also seen as high as >18V from lab measurements of the low cost Denon 3808A. Don't mean much to me unless I know all the details.

There are other aspects (e.g. lab measurements that use different methodologies and references) that make it almost impossible for us to know how they compare, unless we take the measurements ourselves.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just a cautionary note, be very careful when comparing pre-out voltage specs. Manufacturers don't seem to follow the same rules, standards or practice. Some specify "rated" output such as Denon, Marantz (1.2V), some Yamaha (1.0V) while others specify "Maximum" output such as NAD, CA. I have seen very low numbers from lab measurements of high end preamps such as McIntosh, Pass Lab, Quad etc., and have also seen as high as >18V from lab measurements of the low cost Denon 3808A. Don't mean much to me unless I know all the details.

There are other aspects (e.g. lab measurements that use different methodologies and references) that make it almost impossible for us to know how they compare, unless we take the measurements ourselves.
I guess that's what makes audio so loopy and fun - there are no standards of anything. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis