Denon AVR 3805 problems upon reconnection

L

LCRush

Audioholic Intern
I disconnected all of my audio/video equipment to paint the wall behind it. I reconnected and had trouble with the AVR, but not the TV or DVD. Tech support suggested resetting the AVR (reinitializing), which puts it back to factory settings and then do a new setup. I no longer could use SVideo or any other connection for OSD, nor could I use the input button (IMode) to change from Multi to PCM to DTS. The composite connection from my DVD to AVR no longer worked. Tech support now feels that the unit had a surge problem upon reconnecting and/or resetting and I have to send it in for repair. It is under warranty, but I have to pay shipping to the repair center and it will take about 2 weeks. Has anyone ever had this problem with a Denon? I do use a surge protector. Does anyone disagree why this happened?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Opening the receiver by an unauthorized preson voids the warranty. I recommend sending it or taking it in yourself if possible.

This is one area where you are guilty until proven innocent. My receiver recently went into protection mode. I suspected that one of my speakers wires had shorted... but inspecting the bananna plugs revealed no errent wire strands and using a multimeter revealed no shorts in the wires. So I took the receiver to the authorized service center to get it checked out. And the tech would not listen to a word I had to say. He was certain that a short, outside the receiver, and therefore I was the cause of the failure.

Best of luck.

L

LCRush

Audioholic Intern
Of course, I would not open the AVR. It is still under warranty and there seemed to be no problem even if it did surge/short out, for them to fix it. My only problem was that it took a week for Denon to send me an RMA number. Finally, I can ship it to them. I am sending it to Denon and not an approved repair shop, because if the repair shop cannot fix it, they, in turn, send it on to Denon. Denon told me, unless you have a repair shop where you live and can deliver it, I might as well ship it to them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis