GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I did the firmware upgrade for my AVR and now when I press the Menu button on the remote nothing happens. The red light flashes on the remote like it is working and the volume and input source buttons work ok just not the Menu button. :mad:

When I press the Menu button on the AVR it works ok but that is a PITA to go through all the settings down there and still see the TV.

Is there a way to restore back to the previous firmware? :confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First thing I would do is change the battery on the remote.

Have you tried doing a hard system reset (reset microprocessor)?

I would look it up in the manual and try that.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Yeah, first thing I did was change the batteries but I didn't do a reset yet. The firmware upgrade for the AVR went through fine with zero errors.

Recently when I first turn it on it displays something about an AirPlay upgrade but when I tried that one it failed with an error. I didn't care because I wasn't using that feature yet as I just plug my iPod into the USB port for now.

All of the other network things seem to work as I can get to my music and pictures on my PC and listen to internet HD radio stations so I think the network port is working ok.

Maybe I'll try setting up the 2nd remote too and see if that one works.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I did the firmware upgrade for my AVR and now when I press the Menu button on the remote nothing happens. The red light flashes on the remote like it is working and the volume and input source buttons work ok just not the Menu button. :mad:

When I press the Menu button on the AVR it works ok but that is a PITA to go through all the settings down there and still see the TV.

Is there a way to restore back to the previous firmware? :confused:
Press the AMP button.

If that doesn't do it, press the mode button. You'll see a Main, Zone 2 and Zone 3 LED position at the top of the remote- if you press the Mode button, the LED that corresponds to the Main Zone should illuminate. If not, press the Mode button until it does.

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, first thing I did was change the batteries but I didn't do a reset yet. The firmware upgrade for the AVR went through fine with zero errors.

Recently when I first turn it on it displays something about an AirPlay upgrade but when I tried that one it failed with an error. I didn't care because I wasn't using that feature yet as I just plug my iPod into the USB port for now.

All of the other network things seem to work as I can get to my music and pictures on my PC and listen to internet HD radio stations so I think the network port is working ok.

Maybe I'll try setting up the 2nd remote too and see if that one works.
AirPlay is for using iTunes form your computer and it works, but it's a bit awkward, at times. It converts the files to PCM, so it will sound better if your iPod or iTunes files are MP3.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
GoFastr

I'm a DENON CI certified integrator (2007-2011), if pressing the "AMP" and "MODE" buttons as recommended by highfigh doesn't work save your current system setting file via the network as described on pg. 60 of the manual...

Follow the instructions on pg. 59 to get the network setting options setup on the receiver if you haven't done this already, and then once you have it connected save the file.

Once that file is saved on your computer, perform the "Microprocessor Reset" as described on pg. 116 of your user manual.

Step 1. Turn off the power using the "ON/STANDBY" button on the front of the receiver.

Step 2. Once receiver is in the off/standby position and the ring around the Power button is RED flip down the front panel on the receiver, and locate the two buttons on the top left side of the panel labelled "STANDARD" and "DSP SIMULATION". Now press "ON/STANDBY" while simultaneously pressing the "STANDARD" and "DSP SIMULAITON" buttons.

Step 3. Once the front panel display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

Once you've got the system flashed, you will still have the new firmware update but your receiver will be set as factory new again. So then turn the receiver back on and test if you get menu control from the remote. Assuming you do, now go ahead and re-install from the web setup the system settings you've saved.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks, I'll give those suggestions a try when I get home tonight.

On another note, I hope a reset fixes two other issues I've noticed since the successful firmware update.

1- I no longer see the red ring around the power on button on the front of the AVR that signifies it is in standby. It's either blue when it is on or nothing, and I always use the remote to turn it off and on.

2- maybe this has something to do with the #1 but my BIC PL-20 subwoofer has a 3 position switch on the back for Off-Switched On-Always On and a red light or green light indicated if there was power going to it and it was indeed turned on. I had hoped that if I left the switch in the middle meaning Switched On that the subwoofer would go on and off automatically with my AVR as needed. I've checked the light and it is always green and I always have to manually set the switch to Off before going to bed each time. I expected the sub light to be red when the AVR was switched off or in standby and green when I turned the AVR on.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
AMP was it!

Thanks guys!

I pressed the AMP button and it was already on the correct Main zone but now the Menu button works on the remote. Cool!

I guess sometimes when others pickup the remote (me included) other buttons like TV or DVD get pressed and it's not in the same mode I left it in. I learned that I have to press the AMP button to tell the remote it's the device I want to control now.

I also turned the Network Standby to ON and can now change settings from my PC using the Web Control. That's cool too.
I did the save settings to my PC drive so I have it for the future.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
i just ran into this exact issue with the RED RING the other day. I believe that if the RED RING shows, the receiver is in "STANDBY" mode, and if the light is off, the receiver is off.

I turned on the HDMI standby passthrough function on a client's model, and then the red light appeared on the denon when not on.

In regards to your subwoofer, most that have that 3 position switch state that the sub will stay on for up to two hours after no longer receiving signal. This is so that if the signal was cut out, or if the receiver was turned on and off abruptly, the subwoofer isnt switching on an offf constantly.

This is usually a small bullet point somewhere in the subwoofer's user manual.

A good way to test this would be to run a signal to the subs from the receiver, and then turn off the receiver, confirm that the lights on the back of the sub haven't turned off yet, then go back and revisit 30 minutes later. Most likely the sub's power light will have turned off.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks guys!

I pressed the AMP button and it was already on the correct Main zone but now the Menu button works on the remote. Cool!

I guess sometimes when others pickup the remote (me included) other buttons like TV or DVD get pressed and it's not in the same mode I left it in. I learned that I have to press the AMP button to tell the remote it's the device I want to control now.

I also turned the Network Standby to ON and can now change settings from my PC using the Web Control. That's cool too.
I did the save settings to my PC drive so I have it for the future.
No, when the Menu button is pressed, you need to press the Amp button again. I learned this while I was installing an AVR-991, which is basically the same model. I'm a Denon CI too, but I learned this before I did the training.

Do yourself a favor- leave the manual with your other reading material that you use to "relax", if you know what I mean. Read and re-read it- there's a lot to remember and it's not all intuitive. Specifically, read the sections about networking and using Pandora, the tuner, controlling it with a smart phone or computer. I usually save each zone as a favorite/bookmark in my browser and if I need to do that for several customers, I save them in a folder for easy access.

Once you set it up the way you want, you definitely want to save the configuration. That way, it only takes 5 minutes to re-load, instead of having to go through the whole process again. Denon recommend doing it hard-wired but it does work wireless if the network speed is fast enough.

Look for some of the smart phone apps like Twonky and a Denon remote app written by a German or Danish guy.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
i just ran into this exact issue with the RED RING the other day. I believe that if the RED RING shows, the receiver is in "STANDBY" mode, and if the light is off, the receiver is off.

I turned on the HDMI standby passthrough function on a client's model, and then the red light appeared on the denon when not on.

In regards to your subwoofer, most that have that 3 position switch state that the sub will stay on for up to two hours after no longer receiving signal. This is so that if the signal was cut out, or if the receiver was turned on and off abruptly, the subwoofer isnt switching on an offf constantly.

A good way to test this would be to run a signal to the subs from the receiver, and then turn off the receiver, confirm that the lights on the back of the sub haven't turned off yet, then go back and revisit 30 minutes later. Most likely the sub's power light will have turned off.
Thanks, I saw that too when I was in the Web Control setup and set the HDMI Standby to ON and now I see the red ring when I turn the AVR off with the remote. I'll have to wait until after the MNF game or till tomorrow to see if the sub goes off now too.

I'll have to wait until after the MNF game or maybe tomorrow to see if the sub goes off now. This has been a great help. Thanks again man.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
No, when the Menu button is pressed, you need to press the Amp button again. I learned this while I was installing an AVR-991, which is basically the same model. I'm a Denon CI too, but I learned this before I did the training.

Do yourself a favor- leave the manual with your other reading material that you use to "relax", if you know what I mean. Read and re-read it- there's a lot to remember and it's not all intuitive. Specifically, read the sections about networking and using Pandora, the tuner, controlling it with a smart phone or computer. I usually save each zone as a favorite/bookmark in my browser and if I need to do that for several customers, I save them in a folder for easy access.

Once you set it up the way you want, you definitely want to save the configuration. That way, it only takes 5 minutes to re-load, instead of having to go through the whole process again. Denon recommend doing it hard-wired but it does work wireless if the network speed is fast enough.

Look for some of the smart phone apps like Twonky and a Denon remote app written by a German or Danish guy.
LOL Thanks. Yeah, I definately need to read the manual through some more. I'm an IT guy and these days I just try to figure stuff out logically and only read the manual when I can't get it working. A long time ago I learned that IBM was the 2nd largest publisher behind the government. Spent many a nights in their documentation fixing issues.

After getting in via Web Control I now need to save my settings again but it takes like 10 minutes and you can't use it so that will be tomorrow time.

I have a Blackberry Torch so I'm not sure if there are any apps for that phone or not. Maybe it's not too smart!

highfigh

highfigh

After getting in via Web Control I now need to save my settings again but it takes like 10 minutes and you can't use it so that will be tomorrow time.
OR, tonight while you get ready for bed.

"I have a Blackberry Torch so I'm not sure if there are any apps for that phone or not. Maybe it's not too smart!"

Time to go to their app store.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Blackberry App Store = FAIL! They have apps for TiVO and Media Center but none for a Denon AVR.

I searched for Blackberry on Twonky too and didn't find anything. :mad:

I'll just use my regular Denon remote for now to operate things. Been researching the Logitech Harmony too on which model to get. The 1100 looks nice.

Web Control is great when making a lot of changes.

highfigh

highfigh

Blackberry App Store = FAIL! They have apps for TiVO and Media Center but none for a Denon AVR.

I searched for Blackberry on Twonky too and didn't find anything. :mad:

I'll just use my regular Denon remote for now to operate things. Been researching the Logitech Harmony too on which model to get. The 1100 looks nice.

Web Control is great when making a lot of changes.
The 1100 works well- a lot better than the 1000 POS. Look into using the browser- find the receiver's IP address and enter that in the address bar, then select the Main zone. I use that when I'm in another room and want to control the receiver. You should be able to do the same with your Blackberry's address bar in whatever browser it supports.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Good point about the Web Control and Blackberry if I'm just playing with the AVR, but I think I like the Harmony 1100 because it control other devices too. Press one button and it runs everything on that is needed.....ie. AVR-TV-Cable Box or AVR-TV-BD Player.

Unless I can figure out by reading up the manual and playing with the AVR more that I can turn those other devices on and off when I press their corresponding buttons on my AVR remote? I thought that's what HDMI Standby was going to do for me but I haven't finished testing things out yet.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic

When the sub's switch is in the middle position (switched on) it now turns off when I switch off the AVR after about 30 mins. I kept looking at it immediately after turning off the AVR and it didn't go off. You were right as it needs some time. Thanks.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
@GoFastr

Glad that the sub config works for you.

And definitely fine-comb that manual...

Always remember the following when dealing with a user manual...

WRITTEN IN Japanese and sent to Malaysia for translation to ENGLISH. I think there was a movie about this... LOST IN TRANSLATION!!!

Cheers,

-Adam

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis