Denon AVR-2310CI receiver questions

R

Roger in AZ

Enthusiast
I have a couple of questions regarding the Denon AVR-2310CI A/V receiver. First this receiver has both S-Video inputs and outputs and I was wondering if I could plug in both my DVD player and cable box/DVR in to the S-Video ports on the receiver, and then output these signals to my TV via the S-video output, and be able to switch between the DVD player and cable? If I end up getting this receiver I will be using for a temporary period of time two Klipsch KG2 book shelf speakers. Will the Denon receiver work properly with these speakers? I am planning in the future of getting some better home theater speakers along with a 1080P Plasma TV and blu-ray player.

Thanks

Roger

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
If your cable box/DVR and DVD player both have S-Video out, then you could plug them into the Denon's S-Video inputs, but that doesn't mean you should. If either of your sources have HDMI, DVI, or component outputs; you should use those.

Your KG 2's are 4 ohm speakers, but fairly sensitive, and should be fine.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The receiver will work fine- the system will sound as good as the speakers allow, with whatever speakers are connected.

Why use the S-Video? Component will provide better picture quality. If the TV doesn't have HD inputs (Component or HDMI), you can use the composite video signal, too. That receiver down-converts from component or HDMI to composite, too, so it really doesn't matter which input you use and this would be a good time to get to know the setup of the receiver for future setting changes.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
PS: I didn't notice at first that this was your first post - let me be the first to say Aloha, and welcome to the forum.

R

Roger in AZ

Enthusiast
There are no composite video inputs on the TV just RCA and one S-video input. The TV is over 20 years old.

Thanks

Roger

highfigh

highfigh

There are no composite video inputs on the TV just RCA and one S-video input. The TV is over 20 years old.

Thanks

Roger
If the RCA input has a yellow ring, it's composite video. If they're red and white, they're only for audio but I have to wonder why it doesn't have anything better than one S-Video input if it's 20 years old. If it's a lot more than 20 years old, I understand.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, that receiver will do what you want just fine and will give you an upgrade path to something better.

I'm not sure if you've bought it yet or have a great deal on it, but the new AVR-2311 is out now and I would go that route if I hadn't yet purchased a new TV. The 2310 is actually a generation old now. The new 2311 will support HDMI 1.4 which may be of interest to you if you haven't purchased a HDTV to go with the system yet.

Speakers are, more or less, standardized so you can use almost any decent quality speaker, with any decent A/V receiver on the market without problems. The Klipsch speakers probably say '8 ohms' on them somewhere, and the receiver is optimized for 8 ohm speakers, but can handle some fluxuations from that.

R

Roger in AZ

Enthusiast
If the RCA input has a yellow ring, it's composite video. If they're red and white, they're only for audio but I have to wonder why it doesn't have anything better than one S-Video input if it's 20 years old. If it's a lot more than 20 years old, I understand.
I just check the TV and it has composite video. I was under the impression that for the older TV's the s-video provided a better picture quality then composite video.

Thanks

Roger

highfigh

highfigh

I just check the TV and it has composite video. I was under the impression that for the older TV's the s-video provided a better picture quality then composite video.

Thanks

Roger
Technically, it does because it separates the color from the picture but I have yet to see a better picture when I have used S-Video. Composite can be pretty good if the TV is made to work well with composite video. If it's like new TVs, it can sometimes look pretty bad because the resolution of composite is different from component and HDMI.

R

Roger in AZ

Enthusiast
Yes, that receiver will do what you want just fine and will give you an upgrade path to something better.

I'm not sure if you've bought it yet or have a great deal on it, but the new AVR-2311 is out now and I would go that route if I hadn't yet purchased a new TV. The 2310 is actually a generation old now. The new 2311 will support HDMI 1.4 which may be of interest to you if you haven't purchased a HDTV to go with the system yet.

Speakers are, more or less, standardized so you can use almost any decent quality speaker, with any decent A/V receiver on the market without problems. The Klipsch speakers probably say '8 ohms' on them somewhere, and the receiver is optimized for 8 ohm speakers, but can handle some fluxuations from that.
I can purchase the Denon AV R-2310CI locally from Ultimate Electronics for $599.97 which appears to be a good price. Are there any other differences between the two receivers besides the 3D HDMI 1.4 capability?

thanks

Roger

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Denon improves product every year, and the move to HDMI 1.4 is likely going to make it the default standard for most new HDMI product over the next few years. It goes beyond 3D with things like Audio Return Channel. But, the receiver itself is a complete upgrade over their prior unit.

You should check www.denon.com and compare the two models as both are listed on their website currently.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis