Denon AVR 1600 optical help!!!

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
I was running my PS3/cablebox/pc into my TV using HDMI then using the optical (toslink) out from my TV into my HTIB pioneer receiver.
I just bought a Denon AVR-1600 which has optical in but I can't get it to work. I'm guessing i'm doing it wrong and i've been at it for hours.
Since I don't have the manual I looked for it on the internet and have not any luck finding it.
I'm hoping somebody in here is familiar with this model or a model close to this one from the same time period.
Because i've tried everything I could I'm starting to think it might be broken but i'm optimistic.

TIA

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I also looked around for the manual. I see that you're getting help on at least one other forum, so I'll let them handle that aspect. I know that Mark pointed you towards the brochure and not the manual, though.

I'm assuming that you've gone into the menu to assign that optical input to a source, correct?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You may also need to setup in the TV the correct type of output for the optical to work correctly.

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
Yes I did go in and assigned the optical to the tv/dbs setting which didn't work and I also tried the dvd/vdp setting and it didn't work.
I also have the TV set to external speaker which is how I ran my Pioneer.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This is not to sound insulting, but I ask because it happens pretty often :) - did you take the protective caps off both ends of the optical cable? I didn't ask before because I'm assuming that you're using the same cable from the Pioneer...but it's worth asking.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Also - you might need to select between Analog and Digital for whatever source you assigned that optical input to. Step one is to assign it, step two is typically to tell the receiver to use it. A lot of receivers have an Auto select setting to choose between analog and digital inputs if both are assigned to a source, but I don't know if that Denon does.

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
Haha, it's always good to be sure! yes I did take the caps off the ends I even checked to make sure I had it plugged in right... I do. Being a computer tech one of the first things I ask people when they tell me their computer won't turn on is to ask them if it's plugged in, you never know!

I will try what you're saying again but i'm pretty sure I did it right.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon is probably old enough that it used the optical port plug-in cover (and not the flip covers used these days). Did it have that cover when you bought it? Either way, you might try blowing into the port to clear out any dust that might have settled in there over the years.

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
gave it a blow... nothin. :( It might not work.... I bought it off craigslist and the guy said it all worked

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

A

Actran

Audioholic
what was the resolution? You never know who else might have the problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis