Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon AVP User Manual

Gene,

Thank you for a great review and pod cast with Jeff.

A few of us over on AVS have been discussing the idea of setting up a Wiki and/or creating a reference manual on the AVP/POA, and I was wondering what you think of this?

Regards

Mark
You are not alone in desiring a better written user manual. Seth and others, including myself have similar feelings. Heck I didn't even use it during the review process b/c I found it quite useless most of the time.

Rather than laboring this effort yourselves, how about generating a list of things you would like to see in the user manual and I can forward your messages directly to them. Denon is very proactive about doing addendums and I am sure they will do something if enough people speak up on this thread. thanks.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
You are not alone in desiring a better written user manual. Seth and others, including myself have similar feelings. Heck I didn't even use it during the review process b/c I found it quite useless most of the time.

Rather than laboring this effort yourselves, how about generating a list of things you would like to see in the user manual and I can forward your messages directly to them. Denon is very proactive about doing addendums and I am sure they will do something if enough people speak up on this thread. thanks.
Thats good.Gene do you remember the 5805(A1XVA) manual how much more discriptive it was, sure it has alot of pages but i guess thats we all want when it comes to a manual so we can use the full pontential of the AVP.This current manual is like a quick setup guide, doesn't explain much at all.Hope we can a manual similar to the 5805.:)

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern

I like the idea of a wicki. Letting Denon do this ? I have looked at a few old manuals from Denon and thay have not changed there eclectic style of writing in many years.

The idea of having user added info from real users would be a great improvement, that cant be provided by Denon.

The manuals that I seen in the past 15 years are so bad that I thought this might be a un spoken areament with the installers and dealers to keep some buisness comming there way.
Sound warped but what other reason would a company like Denon do such a bad job. Dont get going on the web interface.

A

arthurvino

Audiophyte
Good to see techcast in here.
Anyone knows the rss or itunes link for the techcast?

I can only listen to it form the website for now.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I like the idea of a wicki. Letting Denon do this ? I have looked at a few old manuals from Denon and thay have not changed there eclectic style of writing in many years.

The idea of having user added info from real users would be a great improvement, that cant be provided by Denon.

The manuals that I seen in the past 15 years are so bad that I thought this might be a un spoken areament with the installers and dealers to keep some buisness comming there way.
Sound warped but what other reason would a company like Denon do such a bad job. Dont get going on the web interface.
Heck if you guys are willing to do this, I'd publish it on Audioholics for the benefit of all users. You can even use excerpts from my review where I go into details about how to configure the unit in basic and advanced setup.

I agree most manufacturers aren't too practical with their user manuals especially on complex gear like this.

gimp

gimp

Enthusiast
Gene,

I have a Popcorn Hour media player which is capable of outputting AAC and WMA Pro via HDMI or SPDIF to my Denon AVP-A1HDCI. I've tried both HDMI and SPDIF, and the AVP doesn't recognize either format. I have no problems when the Popcorn Hour is set to output Dolby Digital or LPCM. It appears to me as though the AVP doesn't accept these formats (AAC and WMA Pro) via its HDMI or digital coax inputs. This is surprising since these formats can be streamed to the AVP. Shouldn't this work?

Last edited:
Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Hi Gene I don't know if you know this but I recentley found with my Denon 2500BTCI that it doesn't play Dolby true hd in movies like The Bee Movie and others I think V vendetta. Also the LFE issue. Is any chance you can make DenonJeff aware of these issues.

gimp

gimp

Enthusiast
Hi Gene I don't know if you know this but I recentley found with my Denon 2500BTCI that it doesn't play Dolby true hd in movies like The Bee Movie and others I think V vendetta. Also the LFE issue. Is any chance you can make DenonJeff aware of these issues.
Jeff already knows about this.

T

Tazmo

Audiophyte
I'll be testing some 24/96 FLAC files in the coming week, but for now, I can confirm that the AVP correctly handles DTS encoded .WAV files, even though the docs don’t mention this.

I actually expect the AVP to handle any auto-detected format via the streaming interface just as well as it does through the SPDIF interfaces.

We might even get lucky and they could have implemented extension based mapping for other formats. I'll be testing AC3 (dolbyDigital) files as well through the USB interface.

In any case, it's just some firmware update to get improved format support, so we can hope an lobby ofr more coded and rez support.
JonFo,

Have you had an opportunity to test whether or not 24/96 FLAC files are able to be handled by the AVP? This would be really quite something outstanding if the pre/pro is able to handle these. -Thanks.

J

JonFo

Audiophyte
JonFo,

Have you had an opportunity to test whether or not 24/96 FLAC files are able to be handled by the AVP? This would be really quite something outstanding if the pre/pro is able to handle these. -Thanks.
Sorry, not yet. Been busy working with Seth on setting up the AVP wiki site.
Should be ready this weekend. :cool:

I'll try and test highrez files soon, as I want to see how it handles this. I ahve several HDAD (24/96 PM on DVD) discs I'd like to FLAC and stream.

S

stenvik

Audiophyte
Hello!

Ive been experimenting with running a pc with shoutcast/edcast on localnet. Shoutcast/edcast is broadcasting a internet radio. I've managed add my private radio station to avp and did get connect from avp to mine station. By default avp supports only mp3 max 320 kbit and wma. I tested edcast with Oggflac encoder that streams flac format. avp reported this as wrong file format. AVP do support flac on usb/dlna so it should be able to support flac on internet Radio too as the bandwidth on local homenetwork should be able to sustain stream of flac file format as dlna has no problem with this.

Question is is it possibly to add flac support on internet radio ? Ask jeff talmadge about this ? If sound quality on private radio station for local home network match dlna streaming of mediafiles I'd prefer internett radio station for playing flac files on the fly to avp.

progprog

progprog

Enthusiast
Itty bitty feature request.....

Since I hear that Gene conveys some of our feedback to Denon, I have a little feature request. Now, know this may not be a big deal to many or most users, and its omission was probably just an oversight, but there is a code missing in the serial command set:

Please put the DIMMER command in the serial protocol. Pretty please?

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern
web interface problems on Pocket pc

Any one using a ppc for control? I open the pda pages, everything works fine but when I give a command the inter face needs to refresh and show the page reload. It issues the command but only shows a page with just the word denon, part of the url that I can see when this happens, the last word I see is SEND at the end of url line. But it needs to reload the page that the command was issued from and it stops there. This is not a problem when I use the other links not made for a PDA, it refreshes and coms back to the page where the command was issued.
I'm using Windows 6.1 on a HTC ppc PIE is my browser.
Thanks

J

johnalgo

Audiophyte
Setup Notes

Great review. Wish it had been posted a couple of months ago so I wouldn't have had to discover the proper settings by myself.

A couple of suggestions:
1. If you have two monitors--say, a projector capable of 1080p24 and a small flat screen for checking settings and playing DVD Audio disks--do not use "Auto" to select your monitor. The "Auto" setting defers to the least capable monitor, so the Auto setting will not enable you to pass 1080p24 to your projector. Instead, manually select your monitor using the M.Sel button on the large remote.

2. I have had very good results using the HDMI inputs for audio sources. I use a Denon 2500BTCI for CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray, and the Oppo 980 for SACD's and DVD Audio. I have not encountered any degredation in audio quality using the HDMI inputs. The Oppo (which converts DSD to, essentually, a DVD Audio signal) via HDMI sounds better than the highest end Sony SACD player it replaced.

3. An Audessy PRO setup is definitely worth the money ($175 licensing fee plus what the technician charges for a home visit). More rational setup (front channels at 0 db, for example) and MUCH better sound.

4. The phono input is high quality. Although it is designed for a high output cartridge, it can handle a low output cartridge if you use a step-up transformer.

5. I did not encounter the volume problems discussed in the review. With efficient speakers (92 db at 1 meter) movies are REALLY loud with the volume set at -10 db, and virtually any audio source plays very loud in the -5 to -10 db setting of the volume control.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I am experiencing drop outs for Net Radio with ethernet connection. It loads to 100%, I get music then a few seconds later it drops down. I don't believe my connection is the issue since I am using the same one for internet and it works fine.

I tried power cycling my AVP and it made no difference.

I put an email into Denon but was wondering if any other AVP users had the same issue?

E

EricBergan

Audiophyte
All;

I am experiencing drop outs for Net Radio with ethernet connection. It loads to 100%, I get music then a few seconds later it drops down. I don't believe my connection is the issue since I am using the same one for internet and it works fine.

I tried power cycling my AVP and it made no difference.

I put an email into Denon but was wondering if any other AVP users had the same issue?
I haven't done a lot of net radio listening, but of what I have done, I haven't had any dropouts.

Is it all stations, or just specific ones? How are you connected to the AVP, and how fast is your internet connection (and are you sharing with lots of other users/applications.?)

I'm connected wired, and have a 6 Mbps download DSL connection.

Having said that, I've noticed the AVP is a little slow handling network traffic - downloading a local picture to display takes significantly longer than I would expect on a 100 Mbps connection.

eric

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I haven't done a lot of net radio listening, but of what I have done, I haven't had any dropouts.

Is it all stations, or just specific ones? How are you connected to the AVP, and how fast is your internet connection (and are you sharing with lots of other users/applications.?)

I'm connected wired, and have a 6 Mbps download DSL connection.

Having said that, I've noticed the AVP is a little slow handling network traffic - downloading a local picture to display takes significantly longer than I would expect on a 100 Mbps connection.
Well this afternoon it was all stations. Oddly its working now. Next time it fails I will try Net radio on my Yamaha RX-V2700. Its possible the service was hosed and not Denon related at all. I will put a watch on this issue going forward.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Well this afternoon it was all stations. Oddly its working now. Next time it fails I will try Net radio on my Yamaha RX-V2700. Its possible the service was hosed and not Denon related at all. I will put a watch on this issue going forward.
Gene it happened to me 2 nights ago also.I never tried again though because I don't really the radio side of it much.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene it happened to me 2 nights ago also.I never tried again though because I don't really the radio side of it much.
I didn't care much for it either until I discovered 24hrs of Pink Floyd in 130k WMA! Thrown into PLIIx Music with 7CH Restorer feature is quite awesome.

Is it me or does this AVP really grow on you over time? :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis