Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

F

flagbonz

Audiophyte
No way. That might scratch the pretty surfaces of the components. No way.

If I cannot lift my amps with my bare hands without any problems and place them nice and easy without risk of scratching the components, then I will not buy the amps.

Like Dirty Harry says, "A man's gotta know his limitations!":D
Dude - just get that double hernia fixed! Then order 2 POAs.:eek:

D

deputy dog

Audiophyte
Flagbonz

I do not doubt you are correct, you can do anything it is just a matter of time and money. I guess that I would investigate to see the cost, does it effect the warranty or is it something that Denon is doing as a future upgrade, along with the possibility of a 1.4 hardware upgrade. At this time since I talked to Denon last week, they have no plans to do anything with the AVP until at least sometime after March of 2011, at the earliest.

F

flagbonz

Audiophyte
I do not doubt you are correct, you can do anything it is just a matter of time and money. I guess that I would investigate to see the cost, does it effect the warranty or is it something that Denon is doing as a future upgrade, along with the possibility of a 1.4 hardware upgrade. At this time since I talked to Denon last week, they have no plans to do anything with the AVP until at least sometime after March of 2011, at the earliest.
thanks. i just hate buying electronics, especially high cost electronics, just to find out that the new model is coming out in a few weeks.......still not sure if i will get the current avp.....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SACD Bass Issue

Guys;

one of the top level tech guys from Denon confirmed the SACD bass issue I found 2 years ago with their latest firmware. They managed to get Denon Japan to confirm it too. Hopefully this means they will fix the issue with a firmware release since they broke it sometime in 2010 when they updated the firmware back then. Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm happy to report the firmware update on the AVP-A1HDCI has fixed the SACD bass issue. I tested it on multi-SACD and bass was great. I tested it on 2CH SACD (left channel only as my DVD-A1UDCI seems to not want to produce audio from the right channel when playing 2CH SACD since I got it back from service). Bass levels seem right regardless.

Any AVP-A1HDCI owners on the fence about downloading the latest FW, should check it out if SACD bass is important to you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm happy to report the firmware update on the AVP-A1HDCI has fixed the SACD bass issue. I tested it on multi-SACD and bass was great. I tested it on 2CH SACD (left channel only as my DVD-A1UDCI seems to not want to produce audio from the right channel when playing 2CH SACD since I got it back from service). Bass levels seem right regardless.

Any AVP-A1HDCI owners on the fence about downloading the latest FW, should check it out if SACD bass is important to you.
Updating now.

Last edited:
Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Hi Guys im looking at getting the upgrade for the Denon AVP A1HD and with this upgrade us European owners get the chance to use the Audyssey pro kit. Question I have is does anyone know where I can buy one? If I do purchase one I just have to purchase the license key? and ive been told it connects to the AVP through RS232 via USB on laptop can I use Rs232 port 2? as port 1 is used by my pronto.

Im happy to buy a second hand one also if anyone wants to sell.:)

D

deputy dog

Audiophyte
AVP Upgrade

I have my AVP in the shop right now getting the upgrade. I also just purchased the new Emotiva XPR-5 with 400 watts per channel for $1800 since it has just come out. I think it will pair nicely with the AVP since it has the XLR hook ups and is more powerful than the POA. Has anyone else used the XPR-5 and if so how do you like it?

G

giuseppe001

Audiophyte
2 poa a1-hd

Hi to all
i am planning to buy 2 POA for the AVP A1HD.
I have read the manual but i have problems to understand the functio.
I explain.
The total channel are 20.
If i assign to L1 the Front Right Speaker what does happen to L1 of the second POA ?
It will have the same assignation of the first POA ? Or in AVP is possible to assign, for example, at L1 of 1st POA Front Right and at L1 of second POA Surround BAck Left ?

Are all 20 channels free assignable or the second follow what set in AVP ?
Tks
Giuseppe

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi to all
i am planning to buy 2 POA for the AVP A1HD.
I have read the manual but i have problems to understand the functio.
I explain.
The total channel are 20.
If i assign to L1 the Front Right Speaker what does happen to L1 of the second POA ?
It will have the same assignation of the first POA ? Or in AVP is possible to assign, for example, at L1 of 1st POA Front Right and at L1 of second POA Surround BAck Left ?

Are all 20 channels free assignable or the second follow what set in AVP ?
Tks
Giuseppe
20 channels? Good god man are you setting up a movie theater cineplex? :)

You can freely assign all of the inputs on your AVP processor but you're still limited to the total # of unbalanced and balanced connections. You might be able to independently assign different channels to corresponding balanced and unbalanced inputs on your AVP and then use the 2nd POA for unbalanced but I'd keep the entire chain balanced if you can.

G

giuseppe001

Audiophyte
Hello Gene
many thanks for the answer.
I don't have 20 speakers, lol
I have a 9.1 system and when i say 20 channel is because the totale channels of the 2 POA's are 20.
But i have not understand how to set the AVP, connect the AVP to the 2 POA's and connect the speakers (9) to the 2 POA's.
COuld you pls help me ?
Tks
Giuseppe

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hello Gene
many thanks for the answer.
I don't have 20 speakers, lol
I have a 9.1 system and when i say 20 channel is because the totale channels of the 2 POA's are 20.
But i have not understand how to set the AVP, connect the AVP to the 2 POA's and connect the speakers (9) to the 2 POA's.
COuld you pls help me ?
Tks
Giuseppe
If you're not running the POA in bridged mode, you only need 1 unit to power all 9 of you speakers since it's a 10CH amp. If you do want to run both units with each channel in bridged mode than simply assign each bridged channel to a channel from the AVP and make the connections accordingly.

H

Hannibal_CPS

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have a Asrock Vision X 312 and was wondering if I can use the USB outlet and connect directly with a USB cable QED Performance Graphite USB Type A to Type B USB Cable 2m in the Denon AVP-A1HDCI DAC to listen to files in FLAC \ SACD and will have a quality sound?

H

Hannibal_CPS

Audiophyte
If you're not running the POA in bridged mode, you only need 1 unit to power all 9 of you speakers since it's a 10CH amp. If you do want to run both units with each channel in bridged mode than simply assign each bridged channel to a channel from the AVP and make the connections accordingly.

Hello gene,

I have a Asrock Vision X 312 and was wondering if I can use the USB outlet and connect directly with a USB cable QED Performance Graphite USB Type A to Type B USB Cable 2m in the Denon AVP-A1HDCI DAC to listen to files in FLAC \ SACD and will have a quality sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello gene,

I've used a USB thumb-drive w/ my AVP-A1 in the past and it worked fine. But I think my files were WAV and WMA Lossless.

So I would guess your case could also work. I don't know about USB-FLAC/SACD, though.

Now I am just streaming Apple Lossless Audio Files (ALAC) from my iPad to my AVP-A1.

H

Hannibal_CPS

Audiophyte
Thank you AcuDefTechGuy !

His report was a great help I will do some tests here.

Ate more

hugs

R

Ron mic

Audiophyte
Hi gene I hope u read this a give a good suggestion. I have a avc8500h which i use in preamp mode and the stereo with audyssey auto mode enabled gives me a best listening experience in my setup.
now I have a very good deal for this avp a1hd. I’m planning to buy it if it can sound similar or even better than my avc8500h plsgive suggestions.
Thanks in advance

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi gene I hope u read this a give a good suggestion. I have a avc8500h which i use in preamp mode and the stereo with audyssey auto mode enabled gives me a best listening experience in my setup.
now I have a very good deal for this avp a1hd. I’m planning to buy it if it can sound similar or even better than my avc8500h plsgive suggestions.
Thanks in advance
I don’t think the AVP-A1HDCI will sound better than the 8500 or any other $2K AVP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks in advance
I'd keep the 8500. @AcuDefTechGuy didn't even mention his A1HD dying prematurely either !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis