denon A/V receiver website sucks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I most definitely agree that it looks like it was designed by some 12 year old kid.

I figure, most kids, by 13 could do a much better job than that... ;)

Really, I think one of the big plusses is that the site really is so simple that it makes updating it much quicker. So, if they add a few photos or other things, someone can have the site updated by that evening.

Really though, a website like Yamaha's is much more professional looking. www.yamaha.com/yec It really gives you some good navigational tools and someone had a pretty clear idea of what they were looking to do when they designed it. Unforntunately, it sometimes takes them a couple of months to get new products up on the website. Very disappointing for people who are eager to look at and review new product from them.

Meh - at least there is something ON the Denon website that is worth looking at and it is very easy to find what you want. Big plus there.

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha just isn't using the right tools to update their website if it takes that long ... If they were using a template and a data driven menu system, it'd be a no brainer to update. My biggest complaint with Yamaha's is that the menu SUCKS. Someone needs some code skills, as Napolean migth say.

And there is no excuse for Denon's to look like that. I can't imagine it would be easier to update Denon's -- in fact it'd be worse because of the mangle of code, etc. to go through. A page with thousands of lines of jumbled HTML isn't that much fun to mess with.

Quiet honestly, I wondered why Denon didn't care about their product enough to present it in a slightly better format.

S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing when I was looking for my upgrade. Denon site looks like something you would expect to see when the web just started. Poor layout and design and not customer friendly. Considering their products are so highly rated, I would expect to see a better site. Not that their site had anything to do with my purchase, mind you...

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I totally agree, their website is complete crap. You know, I tend to not buy from resellers with crappy websites, it makes it seem as if they don't care. I know that Denon makes some great stuff, but they should show it off a little better with a nicely designed website. Just my humble opinion.

Pat

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you think Denon is bad, check out Harman Kardon's site. If you notice, Denon does very little advertising. They are a word of mouth type company, unlike Sony and Yamaha. They are big here, but much bigger in the UK as well as European countries. I'd also like to see a spazier site, but it gets the job done, and has links to all their equipment. Polk Audio's site isn't all that impressive either, but it's to the point. I prefer these type of sites over ones that paste reveiws everywhere, and how great their stuff is. Audio equipment is only as good as it SOUNDS to me. Like golf clubs - Taylor Made and Callaway are huge players in the market, but if you can't hit them, who cares how well they are rated. Buy a cheap set of cavity backed RAM's for a couple hundred bucks. It only matters at the 19th tee.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The good thing about the Denon website is they have got a lot of their old products as well as the newest stuff. I agree, it's ugly, but I find the utilitarian layout very easy to navigate. I can find pictures, info, manuals, and more without having to decode the "marketese" menus to find the appropriate screens. And God help me if I ever have to use the search function. That never leads anywhere but down a slippery slope of anger, frustration, and the nagging suspicion that those who can, do, those who can't, create search engines so the rest of us can't either.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Would rather they keep the prices down and not worry about spending needlessly on mass advertising, web sites, etc...we don't need to see reviews there. Just go to any site like cnet.com or any magazine and the Denon products are rated very highly, if not at the top....the AVR 3805 was tops almost everywhere last year. We all know that. We read it here. Denon's site is direct and to the point ...with all the specs...... and something else you don't see on most sites is detailed discriptions of past discontinued models which helps when you are looking to buy an older used model...

but yeah, the site could do with a little makeover. :)

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't choose not to buy based on an ugly or pretty website. I don't think anyone said that. However, their problems are much deeper then ugly or pretty. However, how a company presents itself (i.e. image) does play into how a company is perceived. To deny that fact is silly.

Yamah's LOOKS better but also has it's (major) problems (navigation and a clunky refreshing menu). With that said, I still bought a Yamaha, so the fact I think their website sucks too (though 'prettier') didn't affect my decision.

And, if you think that a decent looking website costs a lot of money, you'd be wrong. They CAN cost a lot of money. But, heck, they could hire some college student (and pay him off with a avr3805) for a better, more functional, easier to navigate site. I'd probably do it for a 3805, or some other equipment! :)

It doesn't need to be flashy or over the top, just more useable -- and a bit more pleasing to the eye.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
JeffreyDJ said:
I wouldn't choose not to buy based on an ugly or pretty website. I don't think anyone said that. However, their problems are much deeper then ugly or pretty. However, how a company presents itself (i.e. image) does play into how a company is perceived. To deny that fact is silly.

Yamah's LOOKS better but also has it's (major) problems (navigation and a clunky refreshing menu). With that said, I still bought a Yamaha, so the fact I think their website sucks too (though 'prettier') didn't affect my decision.

And, if you think that a decent looking website costs a lot of money, you'd be wrong. They CAN cost a lot of money. But, heck, they could hire some college student (and pay him off with a avr3805) for a better, more functional, easier to navigate site. I'd probably do it for a 3805, or some other equipment! :)

It doesn't need to be flashy or over the top, just more useable -- and a bit more pleasing to the eye.
Did you read post#5. Isnt he saying his buying is based on a bad website?

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
I totally agree, their website is complete crap. You know, I tend to not buy from resellers with crappy websites, it makes it seem as if they don't care. I know that Denon makes some great stuff, but they should show it off a little better with a nicely designed website. Just my humble opinion.
Denon isn't a reseller as far as I know (in the traditional sense). He went out of his way to say Denon made good products, and it would be nice if their website matched the product. I happen to agree with him.

Would I buy from a *store front*/*reseller* that reputed to be a dealer of product with a website that looked like Denon's? Nope. Would make me wonder if it was a 12 year old trapping cc #'s, or worse some nigerian identity theft scam.

So, perhaps you misread his post, or I misread what you meant, or we both misread what he meant.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Regarding Websites

Most companies are reluctant to outsource a website, besides the legalities of ownership of the content and intellectual properties, it is often quicker to update and maintain a site with in-house talent over the long term.

Sometimes. :eek:

And there is the problem with the valuable employees being called upon to perform multiple tasks, of which the updating or improving of the website can be secondary to other established assignments.

An example.....one of my Japanese manufacturers has 4 separate US consumer websites, one for each of the major divisions of the company. When you buy one of their power tools etc, there is a separate website to support the product line. And then there are the websites to support the needs of the company’s actual customers.... the stores that carry the products. What is the priority for the manufacturer? Updating the vendor support sites, or updating the consumer support sites?

Think about it, does the company want me to be able to order their latest widget master that you the consumer is unaware is on the market, or would the company like to entice you to buy the same widget master that I am unable to purchase to stock in my warehouse?

Hmmm, Catch 22.

That same company's webmaster position is actually 3 or 4 part time employees pulled in from the marketing department where they prepare trade booths and print advertising. Outside of the times of the year when there are massive product updates, I strongly suspect that 1 part time employee could maintain all of the sites.

Is there a good answer to the questions? No. Most companies choose to use what they already have in place. Hopefully it is quick and easy for the consumer to navigate, and even easier for the manufacturer to update.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I was refering to resellers to make a point. I am not "drawn" to buy from people with crappy websites.

Obviously, as I frequent here, I am aware that Denon is a great manufacturer. But, people checking out manufacturer websites based on what they have heard of around town or on TV, may go to the Denon site and make the assumption that a cheap website=cheap products. Don't you think this may happen? I certainly do.

I think it makes great sense to spend some money hiring a web designer who is up to date, and realizes the benefit of a nice looking website.

Pat

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I must be misreading. JeffreyDJ said i wouldnt choose not to buy based on an ugly or pretty website. I dont think anyone said that.
Now didnt pat say i tend to not buy from resellers with crappy websites?
What am i misareading? He repeats I am not drawn to buy from people with crappy websites.
Cheap websites=cheap products. I dont think so because what one person thinks is a poor website,another might not see it at all and websites are all way different. I've been on many bad websites from people that make top notch stuff,ya just have to surf a little harder. But we all agree,denons is not one of the best,but i've been on worst. Hard to belive there website is better then there manual.LOL

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
His original post said reseller, as I took that as a storefront (the reseller of the product that denon manufacturs). You can argue all day, but his original post clearly stated --even if you stretch reseller to mean manufacturer (which his secondary post includes this) -- that if the only thing you know about a company is a poor website (or poor brochure, or poor marketing, or poor whatever) that can influence a decision.

He never said as simply as you paraphrased that he based an entire decision on it. You'd be silly to argue that. He said it played into the decision, and for most normal people it would.

We're getting into symantics, but when I said what I said I was basing on a producer of a product. I won't make a decision on a PRODUCT soley based on that's products website if I know other things about the product -- I base it on all available facts and opinions. In fact, I've bought items from companies that don't even have websites before!

Also, it's not up for argument that Denon's website doesn't put the best light on their company or product.

To address another point -- many large companies do outsource their web design to large marketing firms (and those sometimes outsource the actual creation to even other firms themselves). A simple contract alievates all questions of copyright or ownership. Most design firms can supply one, and companies as large as Denon looking to outsource would do this anyway.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. Denon's website still sucks.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
What's wrong with the site?...

...First there is a choice of countries...duh, lessee, where is I?...then you have to read a little(oh, my how taxing!), you get the standard disclaimer about gray-market goods and with a little cursor movement and the push of a button...zap...product categories!!!

Too much effort on your part? Not all displayed on a silver platter? Requires some reading and thought? No dancing girls or animated characters to entertain you?

When you finally get to the individual products, you are given a thumbnail description of the units' features and by zapping the right icon you can get 1. a picture 2. a product sheet 3. a PDF owners manual...what the he!! else you want...an egg in yer beer? Don't have to go to "customer support" or the like, to get all the info in the owners manual...it's right there a mouse-click away...

What kind of b!tchin' would y'all do if you had to get off your lazy, slacker @$$e$ and beat feet to get all that info...like we used to do...

Oh. I'm not gonna' buy anything here, I don't like the color of the paint on the walls!

jimHJJ(...cheez'n'crackers...get a life!!!...)

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Oh golly gee DJ Jeff...

...never heard that one...AARRGGHH!...skewered by your rapier-like wit!

Flames??? Pal, you don't know what flamin' is...just can't handle the TRUTH, eh? Hit a little TOO close to home?

And why take it so personal? I posted to the thread...not an individual...if I had a problem with you in particular, I'd address the issue as such...as in this case...

jimHJJ(...now go away or I will taunt you a second time...)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
We're getting into symantics, but when I said what I said, I yam what I yam, I'm Popeye the sailor man. Toot toot.

No more fighting. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis