Denon 4311 HDMI setup issue, No display.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Ive tried googling this, but its a pain to find. I had a storm a while back that appeared to fry the HDMI ARC 1 and now a power outage seems to have fried my HDMI ARC 2 output. So I am completely out of service from watching anything. MY questions are, (I cant remember how) before I take it in for repair, I want to make sure that the settings are correct on the AVR for using the pass through HDMIs to my TV and projector. How do I set them up only using the AVR's display since I cant see my TV? What settings should each ARC out be on? Secondly, why is it that HDMI ports seem to blow at even the mention of a thunderstorm? Is there a way to completely protect it from that? I recent bought this protector (https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/) for my computer and wonder if its enough to prect the delicate HDMI ports on my Denon? Any thoughts? Thanks

One other thing I forgot to mention, after this last outage, I couldnt get anything to display, but finally my PS3 displayed that screen where it wants you to confirm that" you can see this" resolution setting for HD. Everything worked great that evening. Fast forward a night later and nothing works. So Im wondering if the outage mightve affected the AVRs settings.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ive tried googling this, but its a pain to find. I had a storm a while back that appeared to fry the HDMI ARC 1 and now a power outage seems to have fried my HDMI ARC 2 output. So I am completely out of service from watching anything. MY questions are, (I cant remember how) before I take it in for repair, I want to make sure that the settings are correct on the AVR for using the pass through HDMIs to my TV and projector. How do I set them up only using the AVR's display since I cant see my TV? What settings should each ARC out be on? Secondly, why is it that HDMI ports seem to blow at even the mention of a thunderstorm? Is there a way to completely protect it from that? I recent bought this protector (https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/) for my computer and wonder if its enough to prect the delicate HDMI ports on my Denon? Any thoughts? Thanks

One other thing I forgot to mention, after this last outage, I couldnt get anything to display, but finally my PS3 displayed that screen where it wants you to confirm that" you can see this" resolution setting for HD. Everything worked great that evening. Fast forward a night later and nothing works. So Im wondering if the outage mightve affected the AVRs settings.
Have you done a reset back to default factory settings? If not do it now.

If that does not solve the problem then the HDMI board is fried.

Now that is an 8 year old receiver, so beyond the period that parts have to be available. In any event the cost of repair will exceed the resale value of that unit, which on eBay is $475 to $450.

So you are probably looking at a new receiver. I note you have an external amp and therefore recommend a pre/pro.

As far as protection is concerned the type of unit you posted is of limited value.

As always, I recommend whole house surge protection and supplying everything with micro processor chips from a fast acting UPS. That is a unit that controls peaks and troughs of voltage and switched to battery in one ms or less for the events you describe. That would almost certainly have protected you. However for direct hits you can expect damage unless you have a large whole house generator so you can go off grid during storms.

Power amps do not have to be connected to the UPS, which means you can use a less powerful and therefore less expensive UPS.

Clearly you live in an area, as I do, where you have to commit significant resources to protection.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just to add to TLSGuy's post,
If you have not done a factory reset, do it.
I had the same issue and a factory reset fixed it for me (more than once)!
FWIW, I also own a couple of later model Denon and they do not seem to be as sensitive as the 4311 to this issue.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Have you done a reset back to default factory settings? If not do it now.

If that does not solve the problem then the HDMI board is fried.

Now that is an 8 year old receiver, so beyond the period that parts have to be available. In any event the cost of repair will exceed the resale value of that unit, which on eBay is $475 to $450.

So you are probably looking at a new receiver. I note you have an external amp and therefore recommend a pre/pro.

As far as protection is concerned the type of unit you posted is of limited value.

As always, I recommend whole house surge protection and supplying everything with micro processor chips from a fast acting UPS. That is a unit that controls peaks and troughs of voltage and switched to battery in one ms or less for the events you describe. That would almost certainly have protected you. However for direct hits you can expect damage unless you have a large whole house generator so you can go off grid during storms.

Power amps do not have to be connected to the UPS, which means you can use a less powerful and therefore less expensive UPS.

Clearly you live in an area, as I do, where you have to commit significant resources to protection.
So I understand you, are you saying the Zerosurge I linked will not protect me from surges?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So I understand you, are you saying the Zerosurge I linked will not protect me from surges?
Yes, it is not a a device that adds the protection you need and certainly not zero surge as you have found out. Those unit just shunt a specified surge of joules though a thyristor to ground and after that offer no protection.
In my view they fall far short of required protection for sensitive expensive equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

Microprocessors die quickly when lightning strikes- contact your insurance company- hopefully, you have replacement cost insurance.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
What happened?
Power surge?
Lightning strike?
(2) very different events that each require uniquely different protections..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
What happened?
Power surge?
Lightning strike?
(2) very different events that each require uniquely different protections..

Just my $0.02... ;)
In this most recent event, an impending storm probably 5-10 miles away and my power simply went out for 2 or 3 hours. The time before, just a typical thunderstorm that caused the power to flicker. Im fairly certain Ive had no direct lightning strikes ever. I have had some within 1/4 miles before, but no issues as a result.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Before I do a reset, how do I double check my HDMI settings to ensure I have the two HDMI outs on the correct setting? I know how to do it on the TV display, but how using the receiver only display? Also, int there a way to save your settings, then after a reset, restore them? Thanks for yalls help. Hopefully this works.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a slightly later Denon (4520) and can see the Video Output settings on the avr's display....you might want to have the manual handy to know what the choices and any abbreviations are?

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I have a slightly later Denon (4520) and can see the Video Output settings on the avr's display....you might want to have the manual handy to know what the choices and any abbreviations are?
I guess a better way to ask would be, what does the HDMI have to be set to for it to output from one of the two ARC ports? I know how to assign the inputs, but if I remember correctly, there were some other settings for monitor 1 and 2, but what should they be set to for the receiver to automatically detect which display Im using and send the signal to that display?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess a better way to ask would be, what does the HDMI have to be set to for it to output from one of the two ARC ports? I know how to assign the inputs, but if I remember correctly, there were some other settings for monitor 1 and 2, but what should they be set to for the receiver to automatically detect which display Im using and send the signal to that display?
I don't think you can set it up unless you can see the screen.

If you can do a reset, 1080p is the default I think.

For testing do not use ARC. That is a cluster you know what before you start. Connect a component to a standard HDMI port and use HDMI 1 out. You should see a picture. If not it is new receiver time for you.
I strongly suspect that receiver is deceased, off its mortal coil and that sort of thing.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
OK, I successfully saved my config file and did a reset, then re-loaded my settings. Still no picture. However, at one point while logged into the 4311 on my PC, I noticed under the info tab>HDMI that my monitor 2 was showing all of the resolutions supported etc as if it was outputting a signal. The monitor 1 said "NON." Now, both are showing the "NON" when in that tab. Im guessing thats letting me know that there is nothing being output by the 2 ARC/HDMI outputs on the 4311. Would that be an indication that I indeed have an issue with my HDMI outs? Or, perhaps is my 4311 for some reason not set up correctly to output via those ports? Can a surge change those settings randomly? Ive tried toggling between dual and each monitor respectively with no success via the LAN interface with the 4311. Im just trying to make damn sure that its an actual problem before I disconnect the 10,000 wires and take it in for service. I can hear audio from the source I have selected though. -Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, I successfully saved my config file and did a reset, then re-loaded my settings. Still no picture. However, at one point while logged into the 4311 on my PC, I noticed under the info tab>HDMI that my monitor 2 was showing all of the resolutions supported etc as if it was outputting a signal. The monitor 1 said "NON." Now, both are showing the "NON" when in that tab. Im guessing thats letting me know that there is nothing being output by the 2 ARC/HDMI outputs on the 4311. Would that be an indication that I indeed have an issue with my HDMI outs? Or, perhaps is my 4311 for some reason not set up correctly to output via those ports? Can a surge change those settings randomly? Ive tried toggling between dual and each monitor respectively with no success via the LAN interface with the 4311. Im just trying to make damn sure that its an actual problem before I disconnect the 10,000 wires and take it in for service. I can hear audio from the source I have selected though. -Thanks
I think you need to recycle that receiver and get a new one. Thunder storms in the vicinity can, and often do, cause extensive damage. In view of what has happened, I would not put repair money into that receiver. It will be expensive and even if it can be repaired they are likely to be other faults show up as a result of this insult.

My advice is strongly against considering repair.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I think you need to recycle that receiver and get a new one. Thunder storms in the vicinity can, and often do, cause extensive damage. In view of what has happened, I would not put repair money into that receiver. It will be expensive and even if it can be repaired they are likely to be other faults show up as a result of this insult.

My advice is strongly against considering repair.
Yeh, Thats the conclusion Im coming to. In the meantime though, I think I thought of a work around. Cant I use the existing HDMI in ports as they are for audio, and then use my video component out port for the video to my TV?? I would still get 1080p, but I am aware of certain security features on BD that only send a signal through HDMI. But, for the time being at least, I would have my cable TV and Apple TV to watch while I figure out what to replace it with. I did find an audiophile here locally that is selling his 4311 for $500. Also, what about digital coax out? Will that support a 1080p signal for my projector?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeh, Thats the conclusion Im coming to. In the meantime though, I think I thought of a work around. Cant I use the existing HDMI in ports as they are for audio, and then use my video component out port for the video to my TV?? I would still get 1080p, but I am aware of certain security features on BD that only send a signal through HDMI. But, for the time being at least, I would have my cable TV and Apple TV to watch while I figure out what to replace it with. I did find an audiophile here locally that is selling his 4311 for $500. Also, what about digital coax out? Will that support a 1080p signal for my projector?
The answer is I don't know. Most receivers are now of a vintage they they will not pass out video from an HDMI input, only analog inputs. I suspect DRM will prevent you from doing what you propose. All you can do is try it and see what happens. The other issue is that we do not know for sure where the video fault lies in the receiver. It is probably in the HDMI board, but could be elsewhere including HDMI plus other issues. Digital coax out is not an option.
I think that price on the local receiver is a bit high. I would think $250 to $300 would be nearer the mark.

When you do replace it, install whole house surge protection and install an appropriately sized UPS. If that had been in place I'm pretty sure you would never have had an issue.

Last edited:
Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
The answer is I don't know. Most receivers are now of a vintage they they will not pass out video from an HDMI input, only analog inputs. I suspect DRM will prevent you from doing what you propose. All you can do is try it and see what happens. The other issue is that we do not know for sure where the video fault lies in the receiver. It is probably in the HDMI board, but could be elsewhere including HDMI plus other issues. Digital coax out is not an option.
I think that price on the local receiver is a bit high. I would think $250 to $300 would be nearer the mark.

When you do replace it, install whole house surge protection and install an appropriately sized UPS. If that had been in place I'm pretty sure you would never have had an issue.
Thanks for your help. Can you ballpark a whole house surge protection install? Its a small home, nothing fancy single floor.

highfigh

highfigh

Did you check to make sure a source is assigned to the HDMI ports and then choose the HDMI out that you want to use? If you're using two monitors, disconnect Monitor 2 and see if it comes back.

Have you connected a source directly to the monitor's cable? Do that- it's not always the AVR that pukes during a storm. If necessary, move the source to the monitor- it sucks, but after a storm, all bets are off. Storms make electronic devices do all kinds of goofy things.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for your help. Can you ballpark a whole house surge protection install? Its a small home, nothing fancy single floor.
Cutler Hammer is one brand that makes these- the device is installed at the breaker panel and since that's the closest point to the ground rods, it's the best place for it. Then, make sure to use local suppression for the AV equipment, for surges caused by devices inside of the house, like the refrigerator, HVAC motors and switches, well pump (if you have one), sump pump, etc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree, $500 seems pricey for a 4311, they are starting to get pretty old.
My 4311 has had several glitches, but a factory reset fixed them.
My 4520 has been rock steady, so if you find a deal on a 4520 it may be worth considering (but note it is taller than the 4311, so may not fit where the 4311 is coming out of)!
At this time of the year if you do decide to get a new AVR, I would be waiting for the 3500 to come out and buy a new 3400 on clearance - maybe around $600 based on past history.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis