Denon 3806 or Pioneer 56TXi to replace Onkyo TX-DS777

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
I could really use some advice on a new receiver. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS777 as a pre-amp for my L\C\R speakers, which are powered by a Parasound HCA-1203A 3 channel amp. The Onyko drives the rears. I've been very pleased with the Onkyo\Parasound combo for quite awhile, but recently the Onk has been having problems, and I think it may be due for retirement.

I dont think 5 years is a particularly great run for a receiver, and I know a few people with Onkyo products that have died shortly after the warranty ran out. Also, the Onk 801\901 receivers are dated and have poor component switching, so I'm not interested in another Onkyo. I havent been impressed by Yamaha, Marantz, Sony, or HK, which pretty much means a choice of Denon or Pioneer Elite.

My goal is to preserve the warm, easy going sonic character of the Onkyo, which mates very well with my Parasound amp and Mirage OM speakers. Currently I'm leaning towards the Denon 3806. Audyssey MultEQxt seems to be better than MCACC, and I think the HDMI switching will probably be more useful in the future than the 56TXi's firewire ports. The 74TXVi's loss in power and lack of a detachable AC cord which is on the 56TXi removed it from the running. What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
There's a big price difference in the Denon 3806 and Pioneer 56 - probably close to $400. The 56 has been going for under $1000 online for some time. The 3806 won't budge for awhile at $1299 since it's so new.

Those two units also have a slightly different sound. It seems some guys who own Elites don't care for the Denons - especially for music. You should demo both.

As far as technology goes, the Denon 3806 wins hands down. Whats interesting about the Pioneer 74 vs 56 - the 74 weighs 35lbs. The 56 weighs 44lbs. The Denon is ~37lbs. I think you're getting the beefiest transformer and heat sinks in the 56. It's a beast. Without outboard amps, that may be your best bet. With the external amps, the Denon may be the way to go.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I concur that in your situation the Denon is the better choice. But I warn you about the interest in HDMI. The current implementations use HDMI 1.1 which can handle DVD-Audio, but the new HDMI 1.2 also handles SACD.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Thanks for the help. After I add a Parasound HCA-2200II or 1500A to the system, I wont be using the internal amps at all, so really its the quality of the DSP and DACs that are the most important (as well as a detachable cord so I can hook it up to my new Richard Gray with a real AC cord). My original plan was to just hang on to the Onkyo until I could save up for an Anthem AVM-30, but I'm not willing to live with occasional bursts of static from various speakers until then.

I actually dont really need either iLink or HDMI at the moment. My TV is a CRT based Hitachi RPTV, so transparent component switching is much more important than HDMI, and my disc player is an Elite DV-F07 changer, which cant play either SACDs or DVD-As. I've been waiting for about 4 years for Pioneer to replace the F07 (it still has the rosewood side panels, which shows you how old it is), and they continue to not do it. The Sony DVP-CX995V looks impressive on paper, but after having gone through 4 Sony CD changers previous to the Pioneer that fell apart in about a year, I no longer have any faith in "Sony quality". Perhaps when the DVP-CX777ES gets the 995V updates, I might consider that if Pioneer continues to do nothing.

T

thinkingHT

Enthusiast
Have you considered

the new onkyo 703/803 units that have just been announced. I am not very familiar with Onkyo products, but just a suggestion. Also have you had a look at a Marantz SR8500? Seemed pretty descent to me in the store.

Here is a link to the new Onkyo product info from secrets

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3055

Last edited:
D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
I'm not impressed with the 803. Its just a model to play catch up with the rest of the crowd. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table, not even their "NetTune" capability.

I will admit that it has been awhile since I auditioned a Marantz receiver, perhaps I should give them another day in court. Also, do you guys have any thoughts on the NAD T773?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Post deleted by myself. It's alread covered in the power cord thread.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis