Denon 3310CI cutting out

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone else with this receiver is having cut-out problems.

My unit is mounted in a hallway that opens into a storage area. There is plenty of circulation and the unit does not feel like it's getting hot. I noticed while watching the superbowl that the sound would shut off about every hour (about 4times through the superbowl). The unit doesn't power down and there are no unusual lights on the panel. If I turn the unit off then back on it resets and everything works fine for about an hour. Then the same thing happens again.

Could this be a HDMI issue? Something getting confused, or does it sound like a heating problem, or is there some kind of power saving mode I may have accidentally set for an hour?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
This is not a power save mode or a setting that you have missed. For some reason the unit seems to be going into protect mode. The first thing I would check are your speaker connections and make sure that you don't have a wire that is crossed or touching another speaker terminal. You could also have internal issues with the amp. Is the unit still under warranty?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Check speaker wires first, especially the ones on the back of the amp, a frequent area of trouble.

One stray whisker touching the chassis will cause your problem. If it continues your receiver will be permanently damaged.

If the problem continues after doing a careful check, your receiver needs service.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Make sure you're not running 4 ohm speakers. This and some other Denon model seem to have difficulty driving inefficient speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Make sure you're not running 4 ohm speakers. This and some other Denon model seem to have difficulty driving inefficient speakers.
Unless it's cranked wide open (or close to it), a Denon receiver won't have much problem with 4 Ohm speakers. If they dip too low, most receivers will have problems but the AVR-990 I'm using hasn't cut out once since I built my speakers and they're 4 Ohm. I would lean toward stray wire strands or something inherent with the receiver.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
And if it is a stray wire, banana plugs are an inexpensive way to avoid that issue;)

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
thanks

All my Speakers are soldered in to bannana plugs. On both ends...(I own an electronic repair company)...We do THE best work..

Still not sure, but thanks for the input...

I think I still have 1 YR on the warranty...I just wannted to make sure it wasn't me...

Thanks,

Todd

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

All my Speakers are soldered in to bannana plugs. On both ends...(I own an electronic repair company)...We do THE best work..

Still not sure, but thanks for the input...

I think I still have 1 YR on the warranty...I just wannted to make sure it wasn't me...

Thanks,

Todd
I don't care how good you are. We all, can and do, make technical errors. Check your work! It may well be you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's suspicious that only the sound cuts OFF, but the receiver itself is still ON. So the power is still on, but there is just no sound.

Normally, when you short-circuit (bare wires touching, etc.), the entire receiver shuts OFF. That has happened to me before - bare wires touching.:D

If you are using the "A" speaker posts, try using the "B" speaker posts instead and see if it still does that.

Also try to do a HARD RESET on your receiver (check manual). On mine, I have to push a few buttons simultaneously. I can't remember which buttons though.:D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone else with this receiver is having cut-out problems.

My unit is mounted in a hallway that opens into a storage area. There is plenty of circulation and the unit does not feel like it's getting hot. I noticed while watching the superbowl that the sound would shut off about every hour (about 4times through the superbowl). The unit doesn't power down and there are no unusual lights on the panel. If I turn the unit off then back on it resets and everything works fine for about an hour. Then the same thing happens again.

Could this be a HDMI issue? Something getting confused, or does it sound like a heating problem, or is there some kind of power saving mode I may have accidentally set for an hour?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Confirm the actual clearance space for what U call the plenty of ventilation for the L/R sides and top...

Just my $0.02... ;)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Unless it's cranked wide open (or close to it), a Denon receiver won't have much problem with 4 Ohm speakers. If they dip too low, most receivers will have problems but the AVR-990 I'm using hasn't cut out once since I built my speakers and they're 4 Ohm. I would lean toward stray wire strands or something inherent with the receiver.
The 3310 that I've used can't handle RBH speakers cranked -15db.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 3310 that I've used can't handle RBH speakers cranked -15db.
With those relatively large speakers (very nice speakers) that you have I would assume your room is not going to be small. Combined with a full complement of 4 and 6 ohm speakers with sensitivities in the range of 85 to 90 dB 2.83V @ 1 meter, the only receivers that can handle them reasonably well at -15 are the likes of Denon AVR-5805, 5308, Yamaha RX-Z11, may be even the NADT785. If I were to use my AVR-3310 and affordable amps to feed so many large mouths I would go with something like:

XPA-2 for the L/R (to get optimum performance and headroom for 2ch classical music enjoyment).
XPA-5 for the rest (people who listen to 7ch stereo at 0 may need more)
Crossover at 60 Hz

I would have never expected the little 3310 to do anything for your impressive speaker set up. What I find amazing is when people tell people to get an external power amp just because those little speakers are 4 ohm rated. When I see those posts I felt compel to caution them of overpowering those small speakers (e.g. HTIAB type) with affordable power amps such as the EMO XPA-5.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your input,

Are you telling me that the 3310 can't drive the Monitor Audios? I've not had this problem for the last 8 months. All of the sudden I've got this problem.. I do watch/listen to movies at 0dB, typically. Am I truely driving this receiver too hard? I find this hard to believe.

When I said ventilation wasn't a problem..I mean it..The "closet" is actually a HUGE storage room that I had a special induction system installed that is pulling over 1200CFM over an area of...(guess) 400sQ feet...There is NO ventilation problem..

I think I have an internal problem that is going to be hard to diagnose by a repair shop unless this unit logs it's problems. Which I doubt..

Thank you all...If you have any other suggestions...I'm open!!

Thanks Again,

Todd

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for your input,

Are you telling me that the 3310 can't drive the Monitor Audios? I've not had this problem for the last 8 months. All of the sudden I've got this problem.. I do watch/listen to movies at 0dB, typically. Am I truely driving this receiver too hard? I find this hard to believe.

When I said ventilation wasn't a problem..I mean it..The "closet" is actually a HUGE storage room that I had a special induction system installed that is pulling over 1200CFM over an area of...(guess) 400sQ feet...There is NO ventilation problem..

I think I have an internal problem that is going to be hard to diagnose by a repair shop unless this unit logs it's problems. Which I doubt..

Thank you all...If you have any other suggestions...I'm open!!

Thanks Again,

Todd
Which Monitor Audio package do you have? If it is the bronze floor standers with two woofers, then no, that receiver will not drive them at 0db. Nothing like.

Although like most speaker manufacturers Monitor audio claim an 8 ohm nominal impedance which means nothing. If you have the set with towers, they are four ohm effectively, whatever Monitor Audio say. Any decent tower is going to be four ohm pretty much.

I'm not a fan of receivers and you are finding out why.

If you want pro theater levels you with those speakers you need external amplification.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to All,

I don't have the Bronze series..I have the silver series. 4 in wall and 2 front L/R with the 1 center. I have the bass that is powered on it's own.

Last night I turned it up to plus 4 db and it cut off. I started farting around with the buttons and managed to screw it all up..."Son, drunk and pushing any buttons is no way to go through life".

I did a full reset today and managed to get both video and audio out of it.

The one thing I don't remember is that the screen is showing "stereo" input. I'm inputing through the HDMI DVR port. This input is coming from a Direct TV receiver. It says it's producing a PLXII 7.1 output. Is this correct? I don't remember the input being "stereo"...

I'm guessing the amp will decode whatever signal is going into it (stereo or not)..correct? or no?

Thanks for your input so far!!

Thanks,
Todd

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks to All,

I don't have the Bronze series..I have the silver series. 4 in wall and 2 front L/R with the 1 center. I have the bass that is powered on it's own.

Last night I turned it up to plus 4 db and it cut off. I started farting around with the buttons and managed to screw it all up..."Son, drunk and pushing any buttons is no way to go through life".

The one thing I don't remember is that the screen is showing "stereo" input. I'm inputing through the HDMI DVR port. This input is coming from a Direct TV receiver. It says it's producing a PLXII 7.1 output. Is this correct? I don't remember the input being "stereo"...

I'm guessing the amp will decode whatever signal is going into it (stereo or not)..correct? or no?

Thanks,
Todd
If you had the volume at +4dB, you aren't even close to having enough power, assuming the source levels are normal. Your receiver can't put out clean power at that level. You need to learn the relationship between power, SPL and distortion. The only way those speakers wouldn't sound loud enough is if the room is really big and you're far from the speakers.

In the menu, you have the option of setting the decoding to Auto. It's probably the case if you saw 7.1. If you look at the remote, you'll see buttons for different surround modes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks to All,

Thanks,
Todd
Set your Direct TV DVR to 5.1. The default is stereo.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Thanks TLS Guy,
I will set that tonight, I actually didnt know there was that setting on the DVR.

Todd

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Well Well..

As I think back, I only get cut out when watching the Direct TV DVR. It doesn't happen watching movies through the PS3, no matter what the volume level is set to.

I was wasting time here at the office and thought I'd look up how to re-set the DVR to 5.1 and HOLY MOLY look what I found.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/elementDisplayRedirect.jsp?elementID=10835336

Specifically about 3/4 of the way down there is a comment concerning Denon.

I'm having the same problem as this poster as my Denon doesn't resync by itself.

Apparently this problem is common and can happen to any receiver recieving it's signal via HDMI from a Direct TV DVR.

At least I know what the problem is now..

Todd

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

In light of this problem, would it make any difference if I were to retask the receiver to receive the audio of the DVR source through the Optical input?

I'm currently using the HDMI input and I'm not sure if this AC3 problem would be as suspect through optical VS. HDMI. My guess is the same decoder chips are used and it won't matter, if I drop...I drop regardless..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis