afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Ortofon was named 2010 product of the year by TAS according to your first link for the cart. FWIW I use the Shure on my Technics SL1200mk2. So just informal impressions post-installation?
I got a cheap auto turntable on ebay about 2 years ago and it has the AT122EP(re-bought) and also have a Manual Dual(Thanks Mark) turntable with the 2M red. I go back and forth with both on occasions and I enjoy both equally. The edge goes to the 2M red, but the AT can hang. I listen to all types of music Pop, Jazz, Rock, etc. and they sound excellent.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Ok let us know how you like it or if you need further help.
I've installed the needle and so far it sounds good. I am no audiophile with audiophilic (made up word) descriptions, but it sounds quieter or less noisy if you will from the cursory listening so far. I am waiting on the stylus gauge to accurately set the force. I need waaay more listening time with various music though.

Question. I noticed that the cartridge leans to the right a bit and when it first hits the album the cartridge rubs on the slight raise lip on the edge of the album. I don't know if it's possible to level (twist) the arm to level the cartridge. I don't know if it's the cartridge design or the arm (seems to be the arm though). This doesn't sound typical does it?

Is there a sample album like they have for dolby surround that I can use to evaluate things?

Thanks...Al

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've installed the needle and so far it sounds good. I am no audiophile with audiophilic (made up word) descriptions, but it sounds quieter or less noisy if you will from the cursory listening so far. I am waiting on the stylus gauge to accurately set the force. I need waaay more listening time with various music though.

Question. I noticed that the cartridge leans to the right a bit and when it first hits the album the cartridge rubs on the slight raise lip on the edge of the album. I don't know if it's possible to level (twist) the arm to level the cartridge. I don't know if it's the cartridge design or the arm (seems to be the arm though). This doesn't sound typical does it?

Is there a sample album like they have for dolby surround that I can use to evaluate things?

Thanks...Al
Got a pic of the cart/headshell to show the alignment?

M

Methodical

Audioholic
I found the problem - tracking force/weight. I received the stylus force gauge today and measured the tracking force and it was at around 3.6g, about twice as the recommended 1.8g. The tone arm was not quite leveled and causing too much force on the needle. It's ok now.

Thanks for checking back with me.

Last edited:
M

Methodical

Audioholic

Nevermind: I found the Hi fi test record. Anyone use this and have any thoughts about it?

Thanks

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Glad you found it right away hate to see that needle suffer. :) What HI-FI record? You forgot the link. What kind of music do you listen to?

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Glad you found it right away hate to see that needle suffer. :) What HI-FI record? You forgot the link. What kind of music do you listen to?
Here's a link to the HI-FI record

I listen to a wide variety of music - Jazz, R&B, Rock, Old school funk, Classical (just moving to this as I've made some finds in the Thrift stores), Hip Hop and a little bit of some country and some metal groups. I just love music as long as it sounds good. My main preference is Jazz and R&B, but I do experiment, especially if I find them really cheap at the Thrift stores. I hit the mother load yesterday. 122 LPs - $1.99 ea.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ok then. I was just listening to my records and here are some you may like: John Mellencamp Uh Huh, Anything Sade, Anything Tony Bennett, MJ's Thriller, Anything from The Eagles, Spyro Gyra, From Elvis In Memphis/ Elvis Is Back, The Beatles Sgt Peppers, 70's or 80's Linda Ronstant, Kacey Musgraves Same Trailer, Amy Winehouse Back To Black, etc.

I would not watse 50 bucks on that set. Getting used vinyl is the way to go.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Man, a Libra and you like Sade, too. My wife took me to her concert a few years back and it was one the most entertaining concert I've been to in long time. I also like Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra. I will try and find some of those you suggested. I will be stopping by yard sales and Thrift Stores every chance I get. I've gotten lucky on Ebay with my favorite jazz artist - Joe Sample, and found a mint album at the thrift store.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You seem to have good taste man. I saw Sade once and boy was it great. Her band is killer. Joe Sample is awesome. I own some of his stuff on CD. I don't think you can go wrong with Jazz records they always sound good, but sometimes they could sound flat. It depends who made the vinyl. It's it's heavy vinyl it's sure to be great sounding, well in my experience. Let's see some pics of the TT. Hope to see you around more often. There is also a great thread on vinyl here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/vinyl-news.47017/page-34#post-1089253

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Thanks. Yes, she has a nice band and I know their sound anywhere. I just have a regular 'ole turntable. Nothing fancy. Thanks for the link.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis