Denon 2808CI and PS3

B

bryanalban

Audioholic Intern
Just got a PS3 to replace my DVD player. My DVD was hooked up with component cables and a digital coax cable for sound. When I would play DVD's the Denon would say "Dolby Digital" meaning it was using the Dolby sound.

Now the PS3 is hooked up via HDMI cable, and when I play a DVD it says "MULTI CH IN", even though the movie is Dolby 5.1. Also the "PCM" and "Digital" icon are lit on the Denon.

Does anyone know why it is doing this? Don't I want to use the Dolby setting? I checked the audio output on the PS3 and Dolby is checked (as well as DTS and PCM).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
Your PS3 is decoding the audio and outputting it as PCM to your Denon. You are getting full-quality audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bryanalban

Audioholic Intern
So there is nothing wrong then?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is PCM as good as Dolby?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So there is nothing wrong then?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is PCM as good as Dolby?
It could be as good but it depends on whether your receiver can do a better job than the PS3. Alternatively if you want the receiver to do the job and display the DD5.1/DTS5.1 then you have to select bitstream in your PS3 menu. You can use either the optical digital connection or stay with the HDMI but either way you have to select bitstream. If you use HDMI and select bitstream you will not be able to hear the HD codecs when you play BR discs unless you have the PS3 slim.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
It could be as good but it depends on whether your receiver can do a better job than the PS3. Alternatively if you want the receiver to do the job and display the DD5.1/DTS5.1 then you have to select bitstream in your PS3 menu. You can use either the optical digital connection or stay with the HDMI but either way you have to select bitstream. If you use HDMI and select bitstream you will not be able to hear the HD codecs when you play BR discs unless you have the PS3 slim.
I agree with Peng here on almost everything except one thing, On the fat PS3 the bitstream feature is only available to the Optical Out and not to the HDMI, the Slim has these 2 options available for both, I will assume you have a Slim and would suggest to go with Peng's recommendation on this.

B

bryanalban

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help. Yes i do have a PS3 Slim.

So you think it is best to let the Denon do the decoding (so it says "Dolby" or "DTS" on the display), correct?

So bare with me ... how do I tell the PS3 to output bitstream? I went to the audio output screen and it is really confusing, there are a ton of options.

Thanks for the help.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
You will need to go to the BD/DVD option and set the HDMI to Bitstream, then go to Audio output screen and choose the DD5.1 and DTS and you should be covered.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Peng here on almost everything except one thing, On the fat PS3 the bitstream feature is only available to the Optical Out and not to the HDMI, the Slim has these 2 options available for both, I will assume you have a Slim and would suggest to go with Peng's recommendation on this.
I know the FAT's HDMI cannot bitstream HD but I thought it could still bitstream the core DTS/DD just like my HD DVD players. Thanks for correcting me. I suppose he could simply let the HDMI to PCM the HD codecs and the optical bitstream the DD/DTS. The latest FW does allow both output to be on simultaneously and I think (not 100%) this updated feature applies to both slim and FAT. I could be wrong and I have not try it yet as there is no need for me to do so.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I know the FAT's HDMI cannot bitstream HD but I thought it could still bitstream the core DTS/DD just like my HD DVD players. Thanks for correcting me. I suppose he could simply let the HDMI to PCM the HD codecs and the optical bitstream the DD/DTS. The latest FW does allow both output to be on simultaneously and I think (not 100%) this updated feature applies to both slim and FAT. I could be wrong and I have not try it yet as there is no need for me to do so.
You are correct sir, let's say you have the HDMI connected to the TV and the optical hookup to the receiver this would allow you to have sound from the TV or the HT without going back in to change settings which is great. I believe it was FW update 3.01 that offered Audio Multi-Output

S

sharptailhunter

Audioholic Intern
I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread, but I'm still confused about how to get the most out of my PS3 slim as well. I'm using a Marantz receiver so it is very similar to the OP's receiver. I have tried bitstream and when I play BDs I only get 5.1 whereas I'm wired for 7.1. If I select PCM, my receiver will tell me that all 8 speakers are getting digital inputs. I wonder if the HDMI is the problem? Would getting an optical cable help me out? Maybe we can both learn from this. Again, sorry if it seems I'm hi-jacking.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread, but I'm still confused about how to get the most out of my PS3 slim as well. I'm using a Marantz receiver so it is very similar to the OP's receiver. I have tried bitstream and when I play BDs I only get 5.1 whereas I'm wired for 7.1. If I select PCM, my receiver will tell me that all 8 speakers are getting digital inputs. I wonder if the HDMI is the problem? Would getting an optical cable help me out? Maybe we can both learn from this. Again, sorry if it seems I'm hi-jacking.
Since you brought it up how old is your HDMI cable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis