Denon 2807 Vs. Yamaha 2600

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
I've been trying to decide between these two entry level receivers.
Found plenty of reviews & posts on each, but I didn't get to see any head to head comparison.

Since they're in the same class, and everywhere I go, I always hear their models spoken; I wonder why there's no direct comparison on these two..

Please educate a HT rookie

Planned speakers = SVS SBS-01 or X-LS 5.0 + SVS PB10-ND.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
BP;
I think these two receivers are quite comparable and while some prefer Denon over Yamaha and vice-versa, one would be hard pressed to find any differences in sound quality and performance between the two.

With this in mind, I believe the 2600 may have a better video section and can be found a bit cheaper than the 2807, but if all things are equal (price, warranty, etc), I think you'll find either of these to suit your needs.... -TD

B

benny13

Audiophyte
I went through the same thing...I was looking for a while at both and wound up going with the 2600...It wont pass a 1080p signal through the hdmi but that didnt really bother me since i wont be buying any hd dvd players any time soon..the 2807 will...The main reason I bought the yammy (aside from the way it sounded..which is great)was the for the 2nd zone...my wife can listen to what she wants out by the pool while im inside listening to what i want..and with the second remote she can control it from outside as well...I can do that without a seperate amp for now because im have the outside speakers hook up to the presence output(zone 2)..and the inside hooked up as 5.1..Nice feature..Even when i go to 7.1 i will only have to make a simple change through the menu to switch the amp from zone 2 to surround back.. I dont believe you can do that with the 2807 from what i remember... i mean i thought i was confused looking for an reciever then i started listening to all kinds of speakers..im currently waiting at the front door for my axiom m60s...i wasnt WOWed but anything else in that price range at my ht store so hopefully they will.....good luck...

Z

zoran

Audioholic
I picked up a 2807, nifty reciever, no thx certification, hdmi switch works great! sounds good! but I do not think, it is worth $1100

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I installed a 2708 yesterday. It sounded very nice and I was impressed by the auto setup which did a very good job. However, the onscreen menus were a bit confusing and they look like they came from an Apple II in the 80's.

I prefer the Yamaha's modern interface, the internal video scaling, the DSP sound fields that are actually usable, and fact that it costs less.

By the way, I would hardly call either receiver entry level. They are mid level receivers.

N

ndangrd

Audioholic Intern
where does the 2600 cost less? everywhere i've looked locally, the 2807 has been cheaper...~$1100 vs. ~$1300 for the 2600...

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The 2600 can be had for around $800 online. I haven't checked online prices for the 2807.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
RE: 2807 price. Sometimes you just have to ask. IME the local B&Ms in my area will almost always give you a price break if you just ask for it. Walked into my local B&M six months ago and the 3806 was on display for $1299. I told the sales guy I really wanted a 3806 but my budget was $1000. Sales guy goes and looks up his cost, comes back and says $1000 is fine. I thought that was a fair price and walked out with a new 3806.

FYI the user interface on Denons is a real PIA.

Nick

Last edited:
tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I wouldn't necessarily call it a PIA or POS for that matter, but it's nowhere near as nice as the GUI interface Yamaha's implemented for the 2500s and 2600s.

I really can't understand why Denon and other manufacturers can't come up w/a decent GUI interface, it is 2006 after all... :rolleyes: -TD

R

RandD

Audiophyte
The 2600 is more inline feature and power wise with the Denon 4306. Price wise, the 3806 and the 2600 are inline. I do not see the 2807 and the 2600 in the same league. The 2600 is a mid class receiver.

Z

zoran

Audioholic
I just returned a 2807 to costco! I did not think it was worth $1100.

It was not bad either!

I am trying a new pioneer 1016 TXVK, that I am really impressed for half price! This baby even looks way better and substantial with LCD remote at half or less!

Only sour point is HDMI does not pass through audio( pros for 2807)
Both does pass through 1080P.

In pioneer elite you can have their 81TXV to do all features of 2807, with thx select 2, better warranty, better remote, smaller price imho!

J

JayMan007

Audiophyte
zoran said:
I just returned a 2807 to costco! ...
It was not bad either!

I am trying a new pioneer 1016 TXVK, that I am really impressed for half price!
How does the Pioneer sound compared to the Denon for both Music and Movies?... I've been looking to upgrade for a while... looking at the 2807, but can get a great deal on an open box Pio 1015. Currently have Denon 3200 & B&W speakers.

N

ndangrd

Audioholic Intern
JayMan007 said:
How does the Pioneer sound compared to the Denon for both Music and Movies?... I've been looking to upgrade for a while... looking at the 2807, but can get a great deal on an open box Pio 1015. Currently have Denon 3200 & B&W speakers.
i haven't seen a 1016 yet, but i got a great deal on the 1015 as well. for the money, it can't be beat...period! keep in mind, these other receivers cost up to 3x more than the 1015...& you really don't gain many more useful features. i may try to find a 1016 w/hdmi as i finally bought a hdtv...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver options

If you are concerned about audio quality and not the latest features, you should consider a refurbished RX-V2500 from ubid for >$500. It has comparable audio performance to the 2600 without the HDMI, upscalling, etc. Also, there will probably be some good deals on the 2600 when the new 2700 model hits the shelves next month.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
zoran said:
I just returned a 2807 to costco! I did not think it was worth $1100.

It was not bad either!

I am trying a new pioneer 1016 TXVK, that I am really impressed for half price! This baby even looks way better and substantial with LCD remote at half or less!

Only sour point is HDMI does not pass through audio( pros for 2807)
Both does pass through 1080P.

In pioneer elite you can have their 81TXV to do all features of 2807, with thx select 2, better warranty, better remote, smaller price imho!
After seeing your post in the classifieds, it looks like the 1016 didn't quite give you what you were looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what did it lack in comparision to the 2807 (if it did in anything)? Have you been able to demo a 2600? -TD

Z

zoran

Audioholic
tomd51 said:
After seeing your post in the classifieds, it looks like the 1016 didn't quite give you what you were looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what did it lack in comparision to the 2807 (if it did in anything)? Have you been able to demo a 2600? -TD
Dont take me wrong bro! I loved it! I am loving it!!

I pre ordered one! so got duplicate shipping! So, spare unit! If not SOLD! I can send it back! no sweat!

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Cool, wasn't sure after seeing your 'for sale' listing, but glad to hear it is what you were hoping for... -TD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis