Denon 2800 as pre/pro with McIntosh amps?

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Anyone using an older Denon 2800 as a preamp/processor? How does it perform? Thanks in advance.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
I would suggest upgrading the receiver, rather than spending a ton of cash on amplifiers. I'm willing to bet that a new Denon 3806 will sound better than a 2800\McIntosh system.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
DaveOCP said:
I would suggest upgrading the receiver, rather than spending a ton of cash on amplifiers. I'm willing to bet that a new Denon 3806 will sound better than a 2800\McIntosh system.
I appreciate the response and would be inclined to agree with your statement in more ways than one. You see, I posted the question for reason being that a friend found a 2800 for like $70 out the door! It is a bit older but in superb condition and functions perfectly. I know Denon sound pretty darn good as I have owned a couple of their integrated amps before a/v was being made. My friend has Mac amps but no modern pre/pro to decode todays formats concerning movie watching. He asked me if he would be able to use it as a pre/pro and I told him sure he could. He likes big systems, lots of equipment. The 2800 is his first piece that is DTS capable. He and I alike are 2ch music freaks from way back when Pioneer, Marantz, and Sansui ruled the scene in mid/hi-fi. His speaker system is as follows...mains Khorns, center Belle, surrounds Heresy!!! In a living room!!! I told you he likes big. Anyways, back to what you mentioned about the 3806, not only would it sound great but one would have all the bells and whistles you could want or really need and best of all...all of this in one piece of equipment! I'm happy with my 2500 Yamaha recv'r. I guess I'll be hearing his new set-up over the holiday weekend and have my question answered. Thanks again.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mnnc said:
I appreciate the response and would be inclined to agree with your statement in more ways than one. You see, I posted the question for reason being that a friend found a 2800 for like $70 out the door! It is a bit older but in superb condition and functions perfectly. I know Denon sound pretty darn good as I have owned a couple of their integrated amps before a/v was being made. My friend has Mac amps but no modern pre/pro to decode todays formats concerning movie watching. He asked me if he would be able to use it as a pre/pro and I told him sure he could. He likes big systems, lots of equipment. The 2800 is his first piece that is DTS capable. He and I alike are 2ch music freaks from way back when Pioneer, Marantz, and Sansui ruled the scene in mid/hi-fi. His speaker system is as follows...mains Khorns, center Belle, surrounds Heresy!!! In a living room!!! I told you he likes big. Anyways, back to what you mentioned about the 3806, not only would it sound great but one would have all the bells and whistles you could want or really need and best of all...all of this in one piece of equipment! I'm happy with my 2500 Yamaha recv'r. I guess I'll be hearing his new set-up over the holiday weekend and have my question answered. Thanks again.

Now you have a different question:D Would a $70 steal of a deal on that 2800 would be good to go with a Mac?

If he has no modern 5.1 processing power, etc, yes, this should be fine if it has features that will meet his needs. But remember you need an amp for each channel. How many Macs does he have? Even if just for the two fronts, it will go just fine as long as the 2800 has pre amp outs that it should.

And, for $70 it is a steal as that will be his out of pocket expense whereas a newer 38XX will be much more.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Now you have a different question:D Would a $70 steal of a deal on that 2800 would be good to go with a Mac?

If he has no modern 5.1 processing power, etc, yes, this should be fine if it has features that will meet his needs. But remember you need an amp for each channel. How many Macs does he have? Even if just for the two fronts, it will go just fine as long as the 2800 has pre amp outs that it should.

And, for $70 it is a steal as that will be his out of pocket expense whereas a newer 38XX will be much more.
Yes...it has preouts for L,R,C,SL,SR,Sub. He would be using a 2105 for fronts, a 2100 for surrounds, and a 50w mono Mac for the center (I think it is a mc50). It would be quire dynamic considering the speakers he is using with those McIntosh's.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mnnc said:
Yes...it has preouts for L,R,C,SL,SR,Sub. He would be using a 2105 for fronts, a 2100 for surrounds, and a 50w mono Mac for the center (I think it is a mc50). It would be quire dynamic considering the speakers he is using with those McIntosh's.

I would not use a 50 watt center, it needs more power. It gets lots of action there. Use the receiver.

R

rumble

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I would not use a 50 watt center, it needs more power. It gets lots of action there. Use the receiver.
The sensitivity of his front speakers is quite high, he'll probably be ok.

I would be curious to know how the sound pans between the Khorns and the Belle. I never heard of anyone using those speakers for anything but 2 channel listening.

Your friend must really like horns.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
rumble said:

I would be curious to know how the sound pans between the Khorns and the Belle. I never heard of anyone using those speakers for anything but 2 channel listening.

He does like horns and does mainly use the Khorns for stereo listening.

The thought of 50 mac watts per ch for the center did seem a bit low but considering the sensitivity of the Klipsch heritage series I don't think there should be too much concern. I like the idea of using the 2800's center amp if need be.

I listened to the system today with the 2800 and things sounded pretty good from left to right across the Belle center. The old sony he used decoded 5.1 DD but not DTS. The Khorns and Belle use the same horns, drivers, diaphrams, etc. He has some tricked out x-overs that are made by some guy that is supposed to be the guru concerning heritage series Klipsch crossovers. I know one thing, it does not take too much volume to get the house rumbling. He uses a Velodyne sub as well in the 5.1 setup.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
rumble said:

.....and that's the BIG horns in the Heritage Line, Rumble....compression parting your hair....they are impressive, as you feel each headache coming on.....Heresy's are different, and possibly one of the best two-way bookshelves ever....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mnnc said:
The thought of 50 mac watts per ch for the center did seem a bit low but considering the sensitivity of the Klipsch heritage series I don't think there should be too much concern. .

If that sensitivity is that high, then 50 watts is not an issue and will work fine.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
If that sensitivity is that high, then 50 watts is not an issue and will work fine.
.....50 may work, but 250 will rule....get them ears cleaned out, Mtry....kerosene should do the trick.....

R

rumble

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
The Khorns are 104 dB and the Belle is "only" 103 dB.

R

rumble

Audioholic
mulester7 said:
.....50 may work, but 250 will rule....get them ears cleaned out, Mtry....kerosene should do the trick.....
You're going to put 250 watts into those speakers? You must be one of those people that like listen with their amps turned up to "11".

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
rumble said:
You're going to put 250 watts into those speakers? You must be one of those people that like listen with their amps turned up to "11".
...you guys are a hoot. Yea, 50w to the Belle center is enough. I thought the actors/actresses were inside the cabinets speaking out to me!!!! The cabinets are certainly big enough for someone to almost squeeze in to!!!

The 2800/Mc system will do him good for now until he finds the Mc pre/pro he wants or should I say, can afford.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

rumble said:
The Khorns are 104 dB and the Belle is "only" 103 dB.

Well, that 1 dB is insignificant:) and they are very high and good indeed.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Well, that 1 dB is insignificant:) and they are very high and good indeed.
.....the Heritage Line of Klipsch are high-end indeed, Mtry, but all three of the large members, the Cornerhorn, the Belle, and the La Scala, all need a sub and not played higher than flat with the bass tone-control....the Heritage Line 15 inch folded-horn woofer is not my favorite....gets whompy if raised higher than flat with the bass tone-control.......

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....the Heritage Line of Klipsch are high-end indeed, Mtry, but all three of the large members, the Cornerhorn, the Belle, and the La Scala, all need a sub and not played higher than flat with the bass tone-control....the Heritage Line 15 inch folded-horn woofer is not my favorite....gets whompy if raised higher than flat with the bass tone-control.......

I cannot and won't comment on its sound quality:) but its sensitivity is impressive.:D You don't need much power for insane levels.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis