Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I like to ease into my reviews. Talk about build quality, what sets them apart, how they're made... And then move onto listening tests. These speakers make me want to jump right into telling you about the listening tests. No, actually, THESE speakers make me want to build a room onto my house just to listen to them. Obviously, I'm excited about these new speakers from Def Tech. They're billed as, and really developed to be, studio monitors, hence the name - StudioMonitor 65's. That means that at least one of the design goals was to create a speaker with enough dynamic range, fidelity, and finesse to be usable by recording studio professionals as a reference speaker for mixing and mastering music.

Discuss "Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to hear some good stuff about Def Techs from Audioholics.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad to hear some good stuff about Def Techs from Audioholics.
You and I and many DefTech owners and former owners already know DefTech can sound great with the proper setup.

But the bashing and discredit will continue regardless of how anyone loves them, thanks in part to DefTech's marketing of their frequency responses!

I thought Andrew Gash was talking about the Revel Salon2 or something. :D

As I've said many times before, I think the BP7000SC and BP7001SC are among the best sounding speakers I've heard regardless of price. I've owned the SM450 and BP10B as well and think they sound fantastic. The key is the proper setup and room.

I've mentioned the ridiculous frequency responses listed on their website to Sandy Gross on AVS. He thinks there is nothing wrong with that at all.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
The high frequency spec is really useful for when I want to make sure my pet mouse can enjoy the frequciencies in the 20,000 to 30,000 range!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The high frequency spec is really useful for when I want to make sure my pet mouse can enjoy the frequciencies in the 20,000 to 30,000 range!
Well, you know Beryllium and Diamond tweeters spec to 100kHz. I really enjoy listening to 100kHz sounds. :D

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I'm seriously thinking of upgrading speakers to these monitors. I currently have Klipsch Icon (BB) Towers and Center...any suggestions on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade for 60% music, 40% movies.

My room is hardwood, 20x17x9 and opens up into dining room/hallway.

Matt34

Matt34

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading speakers to these monitors. I currently have Klipsch Icon (BB) Towers and Center...any suggestions on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade for 60% music, 40% movies.

I would say it would be a significant all around improvment to your currrent speakers. You could run three identical speakers up front which is ideal.

Edit: just saw your subs in your signature.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so use a third monitor as a center channel? I do like the overall "loudness" of the klipsch, but I definitely have the itch for a quality upgrade.

Matt34

Matt34

Ok, so use a third monitor as a center channel? I do like the overall "loudness" of the klipsch, but I definitely have the itch for a quality upgrade.
That's what I would do and Chet from DT said the same thing over on the AVS forums. Speaking of which, DT has some great customer service.

I don't think you'll be giving up much, if any, noticable output.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Just some other options.

You can get a pair of KEF Q900 brand new for about $1200/pr from Vanns or Onecall if you call them on the phone.

The NHT Absolute Towers are $1000/pr new.

The Revel F12 are about $1200/pr new via phone deal.

You can get their matching centers too.

Last edited:
B

branon

Audiophyte
Studiomonitor 65 vs Aon 3

It would be really nice to know how these two stack up relative to each other.

Matt34

Matt34

Bump this for any user reviews of the SM 45, 55, 65.

I think a 5.1 system based around these would be a great budget system.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Bump this for any user reviews of the SM 45, 55, 65.

I think a 5.1 system based around these would be a great budget system.
Agreed. I was able to recently demo the SM 44 speakers and they were very solid.

Once they start showing up on the parent company Ebay site for Deftech, you should be able to get a solid 30-50% discount over list price.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Fair enough re my bass extension comment. The NRC graph isn't as kind as HT labs's. It shows a bass peak maybe around 120 hz, then roll off, followed by a sharp peak centered at 50 hz, then another roll off. Difference between peaks on the NRC graph is around 10 db, the ht labs is around 4. What's the quote about lies, damn lies, statistics, and frequency response graphs? :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You're better off going with a proper studio monitor. Having them self amplified with Balanced connections is very nice, and for less money, you can get way better performance. My Mackie MR5's have solid 35hz bass output from 5.5inch drivers, and the smoothness and overall sound is the best I've seen for such a product at it's price point.

SheepStar

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It would be really nice to know how these two stack up relative to each other.
I just noticed this question.

I haven't heard the Aons, but I own the Triton 2. I have heard the SMs, but heard the tower STs a lot more.

I'm sure these SMs and Aons will be very similar. The real edge IMO would go to the Aon due to that ribbon tweeter.

A

audiofeelya

Audiophyte
MY StudioMonitor 65 Story

Ok so I was wondering around Best Buy for no good reason other than to kill time while my wife and kids were shopping at Target next door (pretty typical of me) and as usual I found myself in the "Magnolia Demo Room" playing with the toys, again pretty standard practice. I’m a huge music fan and love hearing quality music on quality equipment but when I get dragged to Target “Magnolia” will have to do.

So like clockwork my Magnolia guy comes in and we start chatting about this and that and we get on the open box topic and he mentioned that he had a Marantz 6006 demo for sale and instantly my ears perk up like my Bull Mastiff Aja's do when i mumble "want to go bye bye in the car?" I took a breath to keep my composure as we walked over to the table where it was stacked on some other really cherry receivers like useless Betamax players in a storage unit. I instantly noticed the big red sale tag showing the original price of $1199 cut to $899 slashed to $639 open box. I made him price every other item before reaching my target...sr6006. After some hard nose negotiating and 3 closes… HE finally agreed to $300 bucks! As my rush started to fade I realized two things first my wife.... second and more importantly I need speakers! So as any happily married man knows purchases like these need to be done in steps.

Right, so I handle the little lady and off to the computer to start my research for the best bookshelf speakers I can purchase on a father of four's middleclass budget, sigh- this is gonna be rough. I begin searching the usual trusted sources; audio advisor, home theater etc. and one name kept popping up, the New Bookshelf series from Def Tech. I read at least 10 glowing reviews and then I ran and auditioned the studiomonitor 55 at, once again good ole BB. After being blown away by those little gems I went searching online for the best price. Well, I should've bought them there because everybody's price was exactly the same $598.00 for the pair and I could have gotten them there and then. But instead I bought them from Vann's online and had to wait a few days! Being a typical impatient New Yorker this is up there with waterboarding (legal torture)! 4 days later my delivery arrives and like a kid on Christmas I proceed to tear into them. I also got nice looking stands.
So I get it all hooked up bi-amped and on the stands, lookin good and ready to rock! I played some Steely Dan- Black cow and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. The highs were crisp and clean without brightness just a wonderful reproduction so realistic my son literally looked around for my daughter playing her cymbals. midrange was just as perfect (so I thought) and the real show stealer was the incredible lows these little guys were driving out ,seriously low and firm bass not at all boomy just really musical and LOW. So I sat back on my couch like the King of the world as far as I knew and just took it all in. I couldn't help thinking what a superb system I got for a fraction of cost of what a snobby so called "audiophile" would pay. In fact I was so thrilled I decided to write an email to Paul DiComo thanking him and the rest of the Def Tech guys for a job well done.

Not expecting an actual response more than some boilerplate canned reply, but sure enough the very next morning I get an email response back from Paul! He wrote how glad he was that I was pleased with my purchase and referred me to his Head Tech Chet to go over whether or not a subwoofer was needed or worth the money due to; again the remarkable range the 55's had on their own (responding to a direct question of mine from the email). So about an hour later I got a call from Chet. We went over my system and my listening habits and so on. During the conversation I asked about the Sm-65’s. I wanted to know how much better they can really be compared to the 55’s. He went on to tell me how much more midrange they pump out and that there is a huge difference between the two because of the additional driver. He also said the low end is also noticeably better due to the larger racetrack passive subwoofer on the top of the 65 as compared to the 55. At that point I heard enough “I’m getting the 65’s” I told him that’s it, place my order. He said he couldn’t sell it to me and said he wasn’t trying to sell me on them and I told him that I knew it wasn’t his intention but I NEEDED to get them based on his description. So we left off that I would go out and exchange the 55’s for the 65’s and after listening to the 65’s I will decide whether or not to add a subwoofer.

So I received the new speakers 1.5 weeks after sending the old ones back, ugh. But there I was finally hooking up what I knew would be some extraordinary sounding speakers. I had my banana plugs laid out and ready to go so setting the new ones up was super quick. I sat down on the couch and slid down my music selection on my android gizmo app till I decided to stop at The Police live cd Certifiable and keyed in King of Pain and I swear I instantly felt goose bumps shoot up both arms. The sound these brand new non broken in marvels produced practically took my breath away. The mid-range he spoke of was room filling and filled in where I thought nothing was missing. The only way I can describe how incredible these $900 a pair speakers sound is by comparing them to my buddy’s $1,800 a piece Focal floor standing speakers that are connected to a sweet NAD rack and I got to say if he shuts down the huge top of the line JL sub you really couldn’t tell the difference between mine and his! I have to say these speakers really do sound like $4k+ speakers! The next day Hurricane Sandy decided to come and ravage Long Island and black out the region for weeks, my treasured SM-65’s sat idle for a week and a half! I knew I had to write a review about these spectacular little beauts so all can know just how happy they’ll be when they purchase these beautifully engineered masterpieces. But my planned review was further delayed for the sheer fact that after the power was restored I couldn’t help but to just sit and re-listen to a good portion of my music library with the 65’s being simply stunned by how they seemed to magnify little nuances and detail I haven’t heard in them in some cases 33 yrs. of listening to these songs.

By the way, I decided I’m getting a Supercube for sure, not because it needs it (it really doesn’t) but because it will make the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I play my music. This purchase put my system and my listening in a whole new category, Thanks to The StudioMonitor 65’s I am officially an audiophile! Without the snobbery and the debt!

Thank you Def Tech for nothing less than enhancing my life. BRAVO!

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good info.

A couple of items to mention.

With the new models hitting shelves, the old model SM350 and SM450 are going for really good prices. Newegg has been leading the pack on the sales and I've seen the 350s for $180 and the 450s for $280. The deal on the 350 was too good for me to pass up, and these are fine bookshelf speakers.

Consider a sub from an ID brand (SVS, HSU, Powersound, Outlaw, Rythmik). You WILL get better performance for the same price as the supercube.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis