definitive technology speakers

B

benjbonjovi

Enthusiast
I'm not very much familiar in the world of audio.....I do really need some advice.
My set-up
Front - def tech pro 1000
center - def tech pro center1000
rear - def tech pro 800
sub - def tech pro sub 1000
a/v reveiver - denon avr-2311 ci

I'm planning to buy front speakers to replace my existing set up.
I went to a store and tested the def tech bp7004
I've tried also the martin Logan motion 12,
Im leaning a little bit to def tech....but im not quite sure about the built in sub... can someone help with this....I dont know how it will affect the system... since i have my own sub
If I chose martin logan will this be a better choice?....since all of my speakers are def tech....is it ok to mix it up.?
Is there a better pair of speakers to buy, my budget is around $1500 to $2000

I need some advice thanks

bonjov

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
The main reason to stick with the same manufacturer when buying speakers is to timbre match them - mainly in the highs where the tweeters play. However even among the same maker they make different tweeters and they don't usually match up with one another. I'd ask the Def Tech dealer if your center would match up with the 7004 tweeters. And you can almost certainly use your current surrounds even if you buy the Martin Logans.

The Martin Logan Motion speakers almost certainly won't match up with the Def Tech center.

Once in a while I stumble on the 'odd couple' that will match up - this happened with a pair of Emotiva ERT towers and an Infinity Beta C360 center. It actually matched up better than the Emotiva 6.3 advertised as a match for the ERTs. Not that it was way off - just a little. The C360 was nearly dead on in timbre.

So...you just never know.

I owned a pair of Infinity Interlude IL50s with built in subs. The trouble with subs are they usually don't sound good where the speaker placement sounds good.

YMMV.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I own DT BP7001sc that have the 1500 watt 10" built in powered woofers and the best they can handle is being used as small with a 40Hz crossover. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a pair of Studio Monitor 450's (300.00 6th ave dot com) and a pair of SVS NSD 10's (1000.00/pr) for the cost of one BP7001. The SVS would easily handle bass lower than the BP7001 and the studio monitor could easily handle the upper frequencies above 80Hz.

The powered towers should never be considered as subwoofers but more as mid bass modules (the same as your Prosub 1000 because it drop like a rock below 38Hz. Best to buy a great sub like SVS or Hsu and go from there. Use the Prosub1000 hooked up to your center channel only and get great mid bass out of your center once your subs get in. just my opnion.

B

benjbonjovi

Enthusiast
sensitivity

does different sensitivity affect the system?
my procenter1000 is 90dB
my pro1000 is 90 db
and my rear is 89 db

need advice thanks...

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
ben, no not really, because once you have the speakers hooked up and use a claibration tool like Audyssey, YPAO or MCACC it will level out the different speakers to their respective levels, it just means that each channel will have to provide more or less power to achieve the same speaker level as the other speakers, so you won't notice it all. Hence another reason why people suggest five (or seven) all the same speakers not only for timbre but each speakers has the exact same specs. But i wouldn't worry to much about it, unless you are playing your system at ear bleeding levels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis