Definitive Technology Demand D15 Tower Speaker Review

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Just to give you an idea what I'm trying to upgrade from. These are REW measurements of the right tower and the center speaker. I disabled Audissey and set the subwoofer cross over to 40Hz for all speakers. I set the AVR volume to get 75db with pink noise from the tower. I measured the tower first on axis. Then I moved the mic on the center's axis and measured the center, without adjusting the AVR volume. This is what I've got. I used var smoothing.

The center looks bad between 1 and 4 kHz. I guess any decent center would do better, right?

20240206_220539.jpg

T

Telefunker

Audiophyte
The $499 shipped deal seems insanely good for these beauties. There is a used pair of KEF LS50 Metas locally for $700 so I am up in the air. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I don't want a sub.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
The $499 shipped deal seems insanely good for these beauties. There is a used pair of KEF LS50 Metas locally for $700 so I am up in the air. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I don't want a sub.
499 for a pair of D17?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I think the prices went back up. The D17's went from 699(pair) to 1,099 now.

T

Telefunker

Audiophyte
So price went back up on D15s. Is there a clear winner between D15s and LS50 Metas? Hard to gauge D15s true value with wildly fluctuating prices, but according to my research, they are quite good and perhaps in a higher league considering original MRSP was over $3k. Obviously D15 have more bass extension, but in the common frequencies, can D15 compete with LS50 Metas Uni-Q?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So price went back up on D15s. Is there a clear winner between D15s and LS50 Metas? Hard to gauge D15s true value with wildly fluctuating prices, but according to my research, they are quite good and perhaps in a higher league considering original MRSP was over $3k. Obviously D15 have more bass extension, but in the common frequencies, can D15 compete with LS50 Metas Uni-Q?
The LS50 Metas will probably have a flatter response and more even dispersion. The Demand speakers will have a wider dynamic range and deeper bass extension. If this is for a stereo system with no subwoofer in use, there is no question, get the Demand speakers. If you are using a sub and do not plan on cranking it very loud, I would probably go with the LS50s.

S

spockrock

Audiophyte
I feel uniquely qualified to answer this as the 2 pairs of speakers I have in my office/spare bedroom setup are the D15s and the LS50 Metas. I alternate between the 2 sets based on mood. Got both pairs, brand new, at deep discounts. The Metas are on the KEF S2 stands.

My setup is strictly 2 channel. Welll, I suppose, 2.1 with the addition of my SVS SB1000, soon to be replaced with a Def Tech Descend DN12. I have a Marantz 40N integrated amp powering everything. The Marantz doesn’t have a HPF, just a LPF for the sub, so each pair of speakers is always getting a full range signal. I have the LPF set to 80hz in my amp and the gain on the sub set to about halfway up.

When I’m working at my desk, I’m generally only 3-4 feet from the right channel. I have a couch set up against the bedroom far wall, opposite where I have the system and speakers set up that is about 8-9 ft from the speakers.

In my room at least, the Metas exhibit much more bass than the D15s. Nearfield, it’s no contest. The Metas sound like bass monsters when compared to the Def Techs. If I sit at my desk, quite close to the right channel, the D15s sound anemic in the bass dept. If I move back to my couch, it’s a much better experience. The KEFs are about 18-20” away from the rear wall and I haven’t plugged the ports.

To say I’ve been miffed why the Metas have more bass response than the towers is an understatement. However, I never really crank my system, generally I’m listening at low levels. The more power I give the D15s, the better they do sound. I’m going to keep both pairs of speakers and keep alternating between them in my setup, but just thought I’d share my experience with these.

If push came to shove, I’d keep the Metas.

T

Telefunker

Audiophyte
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm taking your advice and going with the Metas. I think I could always resell them at cost.

I feel uniquely qualified to answer this as the 2 pairs of speakers I have in my office/spare bedroom setup are the D15s and the LS50 Metas. I alternate between the 2 sets based on mood. Got both pairs, brand new, at deep discounts. The Metas are on the KEF S2 stands.

My setup is strictly 2 channel. Welll, I suppose, 2.1 with the addition of my SVS SB1000, soon to be replaced with a Def Tech Descend DN12. I have a Marantz 40N integrated amp powering everything. The Marantz doesn’t have a HPF, just a LPF for the sub, so each pair of speakers is always getting a full range signal. I have the LPF set to 80hz in my amp and the gain on the sub set to about halfway up.

When I’m working at my desk, I’m generally only 3-4 feet from the right channel. I have a couch set up against the bedroom far wall, opposite where I have the system and speakers set up that is about 8-9 ft from the speakers.

In my room at least, the Metas exhibit much more bass than the D15s. Nearfield, it’s no contest. The Metas sound like bass monsters when compared to the Def Techs. If I sit at my desk, quite close to the right channel, the D15s sound anemic in the bass dept. If I move back to my couch, it’s a much better experience. The KEFs are about 18-20” away from the rear wall and I haven’t plugged the ports.

To say I’ve been miffed why the Metas have more bass response than the towers is an understatement. However, I never really crank my system, generally I’m listening at low levels. The more power I give the D15s, the better they do sound. I’m going to keep both pairs of speakers and keep alternating between them in my setup, but just thought I’d share my experience with these.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

That is strange that the Metas have stronger bass than the D15s. My guess is that a room mode is killing the D15 bass and it's an acoustic issue. There is no doubt that the D15s will have way more headroom in bass than the Metas. Something is going on in the set up.

S

spockrock

Audiophyte
That is strange that the Metas have stronger bass than the D15s. My guess is that a room mode is killing the D15 bass and it's an acoustic issue. There is no doubt that the D15s will have way more headroom in bass than the Metas. Something is going on in the set up.
Can’t explain it, but is is what it is. Rooms are weird. The Metas likely are better for the smaller space regardless, but I like the D15s enough to keep them.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Hey, I got the D15’s several months ago based on Shady’s review, and got the D5C for a sonic/visual match, so I can at least give some subjective impressions. I am powering a 5.2.4 Atmos system with a Denon 4500, which has no problem driving all my speakers loud enough to cause hearing damage! So I doubt the 87 sensitivity of the D17’s will be a problem for your Denon.

As to the sound quality, both the D15’s and D5C sound fantastic to my ears. Very detailed but still smooth if that makes sense. The MTM design of the D5C should not sound good much off axis, but I don’t really notice much of an issue even sitting in the outside seats. The tonal balance of the Demands is similar to the Revel Performa series to my ears, but just a little brighter - but not forward or harsh like I find the Martin Logan new F-Series towers.

The combination of looks, sound quality, and build quality is really amazing for the prices these are going for now. Unless you need THX reference volume in a large space, like Shady says, you would be crazy not to grab these along with a D5C. And BTW, the 85/105 DB reference standard is only for large commercial cinemas. UHD and Blu Ray discs for home use are mastered for a lower reference of 76-82 DB depending on room size per SMPTE studio guidelines so the need for high sensitivity speakers to hit “reference” for home theater may be overblown in many cases.View attachment 65783View attachment 65784
What speakers did you have before the Demands, if you don't mind?

T

TomS

Enthusiast
What speakers did you have before the Demands, if you don't mind?
Hey, sorry for the delay in responding, I just had a total knee replacement and have been looking at the forum sporadically. I had Definitive BP 8060 fronts and CS 8060 center, along with Definitive in wall/ceiling surrounds and Atmos speakers, and a SVS PB 12 NSD subwoofer.

My wife wanted white speakers/sub, so that limited my choices, but I am extremely pleased with the D15’s and D5C. I understand the science behind wanting a 3 way center over an MTM, but dialogue is crystal clear in my outside seats. And while the the D15’s are probably more of a “music” speaker due to lower sensitivity, my Denon 4500 easily drives the whole system to louder levels than I care to listen at.

I spent a lot of time auditioning speakers for this upgrade, and I’m sure I would have been very pleased with white KEF R series as well, but they cost more and would not timbre match to the rest of my system as well as the Demands. I would recommend also trying Crutchfield’s Speaker Compare, which gives you a very good idea of the tonality of hundreds of speakers online. Hope that helps!

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Hey, sorry for the delay in responding, I just had a total knee replacement and have been looking at the forum sporadically. I had Definitive BP 8060 fronts and CS 8060 center, along with Definitive in wall/ceiling surrounds and Atmos speakers, and a SVS PB 12 NSD subwoofer.

My wife wanted white speakers/sub, so that limited my choices, but I am extremely pleased with the D15’s and D5C. I understand the science behind wanting a 3 way center over an MTM, but dialogue is crystal clear in my outside seats. And while the the D15’s are probably more of a “music” speaker due to lower sensitivity, my Denon 4500 easily drives the whole system to louder levels than I care to listen at.

I spent a lot of time auditioning speakers for this upgrade, and I’m sure I would have been very pleased with white KEF R series as well, but they cost more and would not timbre match to the rest of my system as well as the Demands. I would recommend also trying Crutchfield’s Speaker Compare, which gives you a very good idea of the tonality of hundreds of speakers online. Hope that helps!
No problem. I hope your surgery went well.

Have you listened to Polk Reserve series? After using Crutchfield's compare tool the R700s seem the best to me, within my budget. Unfortunately, they don't sell the Demands anymore, so I can't compare.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Absolutely worth it. Insanely good value at that pricing.
I bought a pair of D17s. They are gorgeus and I've got a sound improvement too. I've got the black ones and the cover makes them look really slick.

Now I'm debating about getting a center too. I played before with my old Yamaha speakers by turning the center on and off. With it on the dialogue seemed to be more central while without it, it was wider. I can't say I like one or the other better. The thing is I never played with the center speaker on Atmos content and I just sold the Yamaha speakers, so I don't have a center to experiment with. Do you think adding a center will give me better location of the sound for Atmos content? I'm asking this because the main difference I can tell between Atmos and non Atmos content is how well I can localize the sounds.

I listen from a central position. I don't care about off axis listening positions. Also, the center would sit below the TV, about 1 foot and a half off the ground, while the mid woofer and the tweeter on D17s are more than 3 feet above the ground.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do you think adding a center will give me better location of the sound for Atmos content?

I listen from a central position. I don't care about off axis listening positions. Also, the center would sit below the TV, about 1 foot and a half off the ground, while the mid woofer and the tweeter on D17s are more than 3 feet above the ground.
Given your listening situation, a center might make a positive contribution. It might not be a huge increase in locational audio, but probably a bit better than a phantom center. I would try a center speaker if I were you.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I agree. We always tell our clients that a matching center is the way to go if you are watching movies.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Given your listening situation, a center might make a positive contribution. It might not be a huge increase in locational audio, but probably a bit better than a phantom center. I would try a center speaker if I were you.
I bought a D5c too. Now, when I run Audissey on Denon X3500H, it tells me the towers are not in phase, but the center is. I triple checked the wiring. Black goes to black and red goes to red. Is it possible that the out of phase has something to do with the bass radiators? The center doesn't have any.

If I flip the tower wires at one end the messages goes away.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I bought a D5c too. Now, when I run Audissey on Denon X3500H, it tells me the towers are not in phase, but the center is. I triple checked the wiring. Black goes to black and red goes to red. Is it possible that the out of phase has something to do with the bass radiators? The center doesn't have any.

If I flip the tower wires at one end the messages goes away.
I don’t know about those specifically but some speakers have one of the drivers internally wired out of phase. Maybe @shadyJ can say.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis