Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for all replys. I will look at the link for AV123, but to be honest, I've never heard of those speakers. Anyway, I just wanted to get a sense of whether or not this should be a "tough" decision... it sounds like I may be justified in dilemma-nating (is that a word?).

Afterall, we are talking about 4+ year old speakers for $1250 vs brand new speakers (with equivalent or slightly better "paper" specs) for $1799. That said, I have read many forums debating Klipsch vs Definitive and my impressions are "definitively" leaning toward Def Tech... I just don't see anything comparing older generation Def Tech to newer generation Klipsch (which makes sense)... hmm...
remember its what you like and no one else. Av123 is a top notch company. Be careful in regards to specs, cause some are simply not accurate to a standard. As for age, as long as the design is good, consider a speaker timeless:) Good luck searching is 1/2 the fun.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Definitive Technology system includes BP10B mains, BP2X surrounds, a CLR2002 center, and a 500W 12" subwoofer (Def Tech... just not sure on the model)... alltogether for $1250.00.
2 things.

1) Although it's not absolutely necessary, I prefer matching the drivers on the speakers, especially the front. The BP10Bs have 6.5" woofers, while the CLR2002 has 5.25" woofers.

2) Unless your friend's room is exactly like yours, there is no telling how it will sound in your room. If he is willing to let you try them out first in your room to see how they sound, then it may be a good deal.

BTW, how do the Klipsch have better "paper specs" than the Definitive speakers?

The F3 is 35Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB, while the BP10B is 30Hz - 20 kHz +/-3dB, and Stereo Review measured the BP10B to be 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

However, with that being said, it is how they ACTUALLY SOUND in your OWN ROOM that matters, not the specs or price.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I've used BP10s for front speakers, with a CLR 2002 center, and BP1.2x surrounds, and it all sounded just fine. Don't worry too much about having exact matching sizes for all the drivers, it's overrated.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
the no brainer portion
Actually, I think it is a no brainer so long as those are the only two brands under consideration. Def Techs ae all-around excellent performers, while Klipsch are excessively bright.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Actually, I think it is a no brainer so long as those are the only two brands under consideration. Def Techs ae all-around excellent performers, while Klipsch are excessively bright.
no brainer and subjective dont work well together;) thats all

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Shouldn't the Def Tech owners thread and the BOSE owners thread be combined into the same thread?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Shouldn't the Def Tech owners thread and the BOSE owners thread be combined into the same thread?
Considering that Def Tech makes excellent speakers while Bose sucks, I would say definitely not.
Now, maybe if we were to combine the Bose owners and the Paradigm owners...:rolleyes:

C

chxboy

Audiophyte
I am curious: what brand(s) would you consider or promote for a good home theatre in the similar price range?

C

chxboy

Audiophyte
2 things.

1) Although it's not absolutely necessary, I prefer matching the drivers on the speakers, especially the front. The BP10Bs have 6.5" woofers, while the CLR2002 has 5.25" woofers.

2) Unless your friend's room is exactly like yours, there is no telling how it will sound in your room. If he is willing to let you try them out first in your room to see how they sound, then it may be a good deal.

BTW, how do the Klipsch have better "paper specs" than the Definitive speakers?

The F3 is 35Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB, while the BP10B is 30Hz - 20 kHz +/-3dB, and Stereo Review measured the BP10B to be 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

However, with that being said, it is how they ACTUALLY SOUND in your OWN ROOM that matters, not the specs or price.

Actually, after a little more thinking, I may have to go with an even smaller center channel due to my entertainment center. There is a nice little shelf just above the TV perfect for a center channel, but 'cuz the TV is so big there isn't much (5 7/16") clearance between the shelf and top piece of the entertainment center. I could set the CLR 2002 (or whatever) on the top, but then it is very near the ceiling and a 1 1/2 feet away from the top of the TV... I understand that isn't good (?)... what if I angle it down.

Anyway, the biggest center channel I could fit on this shelf is something like the Mythos Three... which happens to be exactly 5 7/16 tall. But then we're talking even smaller drivers. Maybe not "ideal", but is this a good speaker and will it blend nicely with the BP10Bs or should I really be looking at the Mythos One and Twos? What are your general feelings on the Mythos line? Would I be paying more for "looks" rather than function compared to the box style Bipolars I mentioned?

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There will be blood.:eek:

Has anyone seen that movie, by the way?

Note: leave it to P-dawg to hijack yet another thread.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...1 1/2 feet away from the top of the TV... I understand that isn't good (?)... what if I angle it down....What are your general feelings on the Mythos line? Would I be paying more for "looks" rather than function compared to the box style Bipolars I mentioned?

Thanks!
I think angling it down would work, but is your friend willing to let you try it out first?

I think the Mythos sound great. Depending on the room and placement, the Mythos may sound better than the Bipolars simply because the Mythos are DIRECT-front radiating speakers, instead of Bipolars.

If your dealer will let you try out the Mythos (free 30 day return policy), give it a shot.

The 2 areas the Mythos are not as good at (when comparing similar prices) are the Bass output and the huge Soundstage of the Bipolars.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I have seen the movie.

I am just trying to be a part of this thread without having to purchase new speakers:D
There will be blood.:eek:

Has anyone seen that movie, by the way?

Note: leave it to P-dawg to hijack yet another thread.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I have seen the movie.

I am just trying to be a part of this thread without having to purchase new speakers:D
It's a good thing my front L+R speakers are 53" tall and weigh 140 lbs each and my surround L+R speakers are 48" tall and weigh 132 lbs each. If they were a lot smaller and lighter, I would probably be changing speakers like socks.:D

Okay, scratch the socks analogy since my speakers do have socks.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had DefTechs, I'd probably feel that way too.:D

;)
Oh, that's it. That does it. That's the last straw.

I'm getting some B&W 800D speakers............................................in 20 years.:D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

I'm getting some B&W 800D speakers............................................in 20 years.:D
Audiogon, Baby. You can have them in 10 years. That's nothing...I could do 10 years standing on my head.:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
But I thought credible perceptual research has shown the 130 buck Behringer monitors to be just as good but 7k cheaper....

Sorry Chris and Andrew, had to throw it in:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis