Def Tech SM55 as a center and running speakers "hot"

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and ask two questions in one thread.
Now that I have the JBL 530s being delivered today to complete my JBL HT, 570 mains, 520C center that frees up the Def Tech SM55s. Do you think it would be worth it at all to try it and see what one might sound like as a center? I'm kinda curious although I actually am one that loves the 520C.
Also other than the center channel which is a whole other topic, but doesn't anyone run any speakers "hot". Meaning from what Audyssey set them or SPL meter set them do you turn any channels up just a tad? Like I hear people turn up the surrounds just a tad? Maybe ATMOS speakers do you turn up most a bit from where it was set? Just curious on that because I turned my surrounds up just a half a db and I kinda like it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d say yes to both. Definitely try a 530 as center, but also rerun Audyssey.
Definitely try some speakers a little hot to see if you like it. It won’t change any of the settings to do so. Pretty common actually. Especially with heights since most people find them too quiet. Can’t say what’s right or wrong. As long as you like it!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No harm in trying the SM55 as a center, tho I'd run setup again or it won't be accurate. I imagine the 520 would be a much better timber match though. Could repurpose them for surround duty and go for 7.1 or a secondary system in another room or something for stereo.

I can imagine bumping the surrounds or atmos speakers a little bit might make them more noticeable, but I like mine where they're at for 5.1 content with music and movies. I don't mess with my main speakers or center. Audyssey seems to do a good job for me there. Besides, running your main speakers hot Is functionally identical to just turning the volume up, lol. Now of course I always bump my subwoofage at least 2 or 3 dB and use a little Dynamic EQ.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No harm in trying the SM55 as a center, tho I'd run setup again or it won't be accurate. I imagine the 520 would be a much better timber match though. Could repurpose them for surround duty and go for 7.1 or a secondary system in another room or something for stereo.

I can imagine bumping the surrounds or atmos speakers a little bit might make them more noticeable, but I like mine where they're at for 5.1 content with music and movies. I don't mess with my main speakers or center. Audyssey seems to do a good job for me there. Besides, running your main speakers hot Is functionally identical to just turning the volume up, lol. Now of course I always bump my subwoofage at least 2 or 3 dB and use a little Dynamic EQ.
I'm curious because I did have 3 SM65 for LCR and it did sound fantastic. So I'm curious about the SM55. It's got a 6.5 inch woofer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm curious because I did have 3 SM65 for LCR and it did sound fantastic. So I'm curious about the SM55. It's got a 6.5 inch woofer.

Well the 65s for LCR were all the same identical speakers. That's as perfect a timbre match as you can get. I would expect them to work fantastic.

Woofer size has nothing to do with the voicing or timbre matching. I have 5 1/4" woofers in my center too. What size are the woofers on your 570s? Aren't they the same as the 520s?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even if the drivers are smaller you're still crossing over to a pair of subs. I thought you were happy with that center! I'm getting an upgrade itch vibe from you. You know what'd be pretty cool, tangible and audible? That PB1000 right behind your couch for some nearfield tactile bass... :D

I'm gonna bring that up every time I think you're getting the itch, lol. :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well the 65s for LCR were all the same identical speakers. That's as perfect a timbre match as you can get. I would expect them to work fantastic.

Woofer size has nothing to do with the voicing or timbre matching. I have 5 1/4" woofers in my center too. What size are the woofers on your 570s? Aren't they the same as the 520s?
The 570 are 5.25 drivers and the 520C are 4 inch.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok I’m dumb. I thought you were gonna try a 530 as center. I wouldn’t bother with the DT’s but if you really wanna know…

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Even if the drivers are smaller you're still crossing over to a pair of subs. I thought you were happy with that center! I'm getting an upgrade itch vibe from you. You know what'd be pretty cool, tangible and audible? That PB1000 right behind your couch for some nearfield tactile bass... :D

I'm gonna bring that up every time I think you're getting the itch, lol. :p
No, I love the 520C but just purely curious what the SM55s sound like as a center. I've had them for years and never tried them this way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I love the 520C but just purely curious what the SM55s sound like as a center. I've had them for years and never tried them this way.
Easy enough to experiment, but reading some of your comments I'm sensing all kinds of bias so try to keep that in check. It's easy for it to "sound better" when you already have it in your head that it might just based on woofer size. I think you're well into expectation and sighted bias territory here before even hooking it up.

Now... some people get a little offended when you suggest their biases might be influencing them. I kinda get it, but it is absolutely not an insult, dig or assumption there's something wrong with you. At least not coming from me. I know it's real, we all have it. No matter how much we think we don't or think we have it under control, we don't, and I've fallen for it myself. I just do my best to recognize it and take even my own experiences with a grain of salt. Simply being aware of how powerful it is helps temper expectations but you can never truly escape it unless you do the double blind thing and go through steps to eliminate any other possible influences.

That applies to you, me... everyone. Our senses all work together to create an image in our minds and preconceptions or sight can influence taste, sound, smell and vice versa. A lot of science revolves solely around controlling biases. I looked up and did some reading about it. I thought I knew what it was, but there's more to it than I realized and it's kinda fascinating really. It can be like taking a pill that alters your senses and you have no control over it. In fact it works exactly like that with the placebo effect!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
do it for fun and then report your findings ... find out if there is an upper midrange dip in the overall sound, and also if they may sound a little more bright in the treble

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If anything I tend to trim my surrounds down a a dB or two. I suppose I could raise the other 5 instead but easier to turn the surrounds down....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
do it for fun and then report your findings ... find out if there is an upper midrange dip in the overall sound, and also if they may sound a little more bright in the treble
You know what? Yes.

Just have some fun with it. I dunno why I'm so preachy today. I drag speakers out from the other room and hook them up to my main system just for fun all the time. I have a couple pairs of decent speakers now and it's just plain fun for me. I even have multiple calibrations saved for a couple different sets of speakers. Don't let me crap in your cheerios, lol.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well the 530s were delivered today and installed on about 10 seconds, just a swap. They are big man, much bigger than the SM55s and bigger than they look in pictures. Very nice speakers. Probably overkill for surrounds but overkill is what we do in this hobby. Need to run Audyssey and then do some serious listening.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis