T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Was killing time at Magnolia last week and listened to most of their bookshelf units....the SM 350s stood out as by far the most imposing units... I never particularly like the looks of their speakers and ingnored them as choices...I listened in two channel with no sub and admittedly, its almost impossible to equalize for efficiency differences...I realized why when I noted they have an 8" passive radiator ( a throwback to the 70s)......these things go down to 26 Hz.....this is kind of unique product in that it could be used in place of towers in a lot of cases where you wanted to listen in 2 channel with no sub. I would be interested on comments of owners using them for 2 channel....also curious if the Passive Radiator presents special placment problems.....

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=Bookshelf Speakers&productid=StudioMonitor 350

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Take DT specs with a huge grain of salt, best to double it's lowest rated frequency and set the crossover to the next highest available on the reciever, so 60Hz woul be more realistic. I have the larger 450's and Audyssey set them at 70Hz (gives you an idea huh) they are great speakers, but yes they need a sub and crossed way higher than rated.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Also realize that the active mid range driver is a 5.25" and the passive radiator is just enhancing that 5.25" so you will not get more bass with that passive driver, it is just like a port plug only diffused.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...the SM 350s...these things go down to 26 Hz.... it could be used in place of towers in a lot of cases where you wanted to listen in 2 channel with no sub...
Yeah, the SM350s will go down to 26Hz alright, but @ -60dB.:eek::D

In other words, you will not hear the 26Hz notes.:D

In the real world, we only care about frequency response down to -3dB.:D

The Audio Critic reviewed the SM450s, and I think the -3dB bass was around 60Hz @ 1m.

I would guess the SM350s' -3dB bass is around 80Hz.

The SM450s & SM350s may not go down to 26Hz, but they do sound great.:D

J

Jack N

Audioholic
"Take DT specs with a huge grain of salt"

How true. Although I like the way the smaller book shelf sized unpowered Def Techs sound (not Mythos), I have to admit that I often wonder why they advertise specs the way they do. In reality, I think that kind of advertising is only hurting their sales as people simply don't trust what the advertising is saying. I know I don't. By advertising that way, you get the impression that they're saying that these little book shelf speakers will replace a full sized tower. People know better than that so Def Tech looses credibility.

I own a set of both the SM350s and SM450s. I use them in my living room along with my old receiver. In movies that have a strong bass signal, it's surprisingly easy to overdrive the passive radiators in the SM450s as you can readilly hear them bottoming out at the ends of their travel. Very annoying, and embarrasing when you have company over. Without an agressive bass signal, they sound fine but obviously still need a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis