Def Tech Mythos Versus Mirage Omniosat v2

F

fishnugget

Audioholic Intern
Anyone have any experience with either of these speaker sets.? I need very thin front speakers due to my space restrictions. I was told both of these would make great home theatres.

Any thoughts? Also, do I need to get matching sup or what would be best to team with either of these?

KeithT

KeithT

Audioholic Intern
I've heard them back when I auditioning plasma speakers. Size or lack of is
there selling point, maybe if the had a decent sub they would sounded a little
better. Out of the two the Omnis sounded best, but still not what I wanted.
They just sounded small, thin, like something was missing.
I guess I should have never listened to the Martin Logan Frescas on the
same day, they sounded so good it ruined everything else I auditioned.

I ended up with the Artison Portraits which sounded much better than the
two mentioned above and fit my space better then the Fresca.

F

Fure

Enthusiast
I don't know about those two, but from when I was auditioning speakers I listened to the Energy Take line. They are in the same league as they are designed for flat panel TVs. The Energy's had a great sound and they looked good also, they are either black or aluminum with white and black cones. Another nifty thing is for when you mount one of the speakers for the center you can rotate the Energy logo (if you use the grills).

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've spent quite a bit of time listening to both speakers and prefer the Mirage V2 by a wide margin and almost bought them. They would have been used with a sub at all times so what they lack in bass was not much of an issue. I thought they were very detailed and I like the large soundstage that Mirage speakers are known for. And I thought the bass was pretty good down to the 80 hz range anyway. I own Mirage 595is speakers with an OM C3 and would have just swapped out the 595's for the V2's.

But the speaker I liked even more is the Monitor Audio R/S 6 or 8 and I picked up a set of the S6 and SLCR that were only a few months old for a great price. With the MA's you can leave off the bases if you need to get them close to the wall. Click on the My HT link for a picture of how mine are setup. The MA's are only slightly wider and have a small footprint compared to most speakers in their range. But I don't think you can go wrong with the V2's if you go that direction.

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/rs_series/rs6.htm

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
fishnugget said:
Anyone have any experience with either of these speaker sets.? I need very thin front speakers due to my space restrictions. I was told both of these would make great home theatres.

Any thoughts? Also, do I need to get matching sup or what would be best to team with either of these?
If you are considering the V2 FS, I would definitely suggest waiting until March, when the new OMD line will be available. The OMD version of the Omnisat looks gorgeous, and will probably sound a lot better than the V2s do (though their sound is still quite good). These OMD bookshelfs will probably be $800-900\pr.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Home Theater magazine likes everything Definitive Tech does A LOT. Not even speakers like Revel score as high as Def Tech in their reviews. There's also an awful lot of Def Tech ads in HT mag. Coincidence?

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
This reasoning is getting old

All magazines are supported by ads from many companies. Just because a magazine has something nice to say about speakers you happen to not like does not mean it is biased. In fact, I trust reviews from magazine professionals much more than I trust reviews from impassioned users who often try to justify their purchases through their reviews.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
I didnt say I dont like Def Techs. It's just that HT mag seems to love everything they do the way Car and Driver loves BMW. Def Techs are good speakers, but HT gives them like 98\100 scores, better than any other speaker I've ever seen reviewed in the magazine, regardless of price.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Dave,

Price doesn't always garauntee quality or focused design.

Mirage's Ominstat series is amazing, I agree, but $900 for a pair of bookshelf speakers witha plastic thing made to reflect the sound...??? Does that sound resonable or more akin to snake oil??

I see the same fanatics of B&W dis Definitive just becase it isn't a Brittish design. Ummmm when's the last time you heard the term stupendous Brittish Engineering (sorry to any on this forum)?? Sorry $4k for a pair of towers that have collapsed midrange and imaging that need atrociously expensive equipment to pick up the fumbled ball??

This is the mindset that alot of Definitive owners carry. (I am sure most of them here will agree) I am sorry if I sound like I am patronizing but I have too agree Definitive gets you your pennies worth. If they wanted to I am sure they can put a plastic thing on there speakers to redirect the sound and charge another 40% for the product...but when that extra 40% can be used to get me twice the amount of cones and better PCB x-overs, I go with those speakers.

~Bob

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Khellandros66 said:
Mirage's Ominstat series is amazing, I agree, but $900 for a pair of bookshelf speakers witha plastic thing made to reflect the sound...??? Does that sound resonable or more akin to snake oil??
Uh, Give me a break. Why don't you actually *listen* to these OMD speakers instead of judging them based on your preceived notions of how a $900 speaker should be built? Your comment is completely off base.

Snake oil is something that is claimed based on principles that are not provable nor can be proved objectively. The Omni series works, as you can clearly hear and measure in all their speakers. It does what it was designed to do. Until I hear that somebody who's actually heard the OMD speakers thinks they are rubbish, then I will give OMD series the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
WarpDrive FYI I have listened to the Mirage Omni series, but my point is why does it cost $900, is there some dramatic improvement for that extra wad of cash??? Come tell me cause I would like to know.

~Bob

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Khellandros66 said:
WarpDrive FYI I have listened to the Mirage Omni series, but my point is why does it cost $900, is there some dramatic improvement for that extra wad of cash??? Come tell me cause I would like to know.

~Bob
You can ask that about any brand of $900 bookshelf/mini monitor. There are a lot of small speakers that cost a lot more than $900. Are they "dramatic" improvements over cheaper speakers (within the same brand even)?

I haven't heard them....but I'm sure some people will hear them, and like them enough to buy them. For them, they may be worth it because they are hearing improvements that are subtle but noticeable. Or maybe there will be dramatic improvements, who knows. My point: don't throw around words like "snakeoil" when you haven't heard them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis