dedicated cd player recommendations?

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I recently upgraded my dvda/sacd player so i thought i would upgrade my cd player now as well.I'd like to stay under 600. and used would probably be my best route.I've been thinking about the rotel rcd1072 since i'm using a rotel receiver but have no idea what a good cd player is like.So i'm asking for help as to what to look for and which players.I've heard of jolida,shanling,esound etc.but since i'm ignorant about which is better i'm asking here and hope i get the help.thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently upgraded my dvda/sacd player so i thought i would upgrade my cd player now as well.I'd like to stay under 600. and used would probably be my best route.I've been thinking about the rotel rcd1072 since i'm using a rotel receiver but have no idea what a good cd player is like.So i'm asking for help as to what to look for and which players.I've heard of jolida,shanling,esound etc.but since i'm ignorant about which is better i'm asking here and hope i get the help.thanks
What is wrong with the current CD player? Or, the CD playback on the DVD player? Are you using digital signal to a receiver/processor?

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
The cd player i have now is a marantz cc4300 connected via analog(cd) of my receiver.I'm not that happy with it so i would like something better.I'm receiving a denon 3910 for dvda/sacd,but always heard a dedicated cd player for redbook cd's is always better.Mind you i'm not up on cd players and really never heard a GOOD cd player.It will be connected via analog(cd).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm receiving a denon 3910 for dvda/sacd,but always heard a dedicated cd player for redbook cd's is always better.
Anytime you see the word 'always' you can safely dismiss the claim as bunk.

If you are using analog connections then the difference between players comes down to the DACS in the player and the quality of the transport (can it maintain a constant rotational speed and read the bits with the proper timing). If using a digital connection, both are irrelevant.

One thing to consider. The so-called high end players often follow the redbook spec to the letter. Unfortunately those that actually master the discs often do not. That is why a cheap $50 Apex CD player will often play discs that the high-end players cannot - because they forgive the slight out of spec errors instead of refusing to continue.

I'd stick with a quality universal player and ditch the idea of a dedicated CD player and the Denon is as good a choice as any.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I have a Denon 3910 and it plays all discs exceptionally well. I have considered getting a "dedicated" redbook cd player, but it just doesn't make sense- the 3910 is really, really solid hi-mid-fi, imho. You might, MIGHT, get better sound quality out of a stand alone transport with a seperate DAC, but you are talking alot of money for not much in sound quality. Like these guys keep telling me, if you are looking for noticeable sound improvement, speakers and room treatments are the best bang for the buck.

I say try your 3910 and see what you think. I have compared mine to 3 other players and it is the best.........

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I have a Denon 3910 and it plays all discs exceptionally well. I have considered getting a "dedicated" redbook cd player, but it just doesn't make sense- the 3910 is really, really solid hi-mid-fi, imho. You might, MIGHT, get better sound quality out of a stand alone transport with a seperate DAC, but you are talking alot of money for not much in sound quality. Like these guys keep telling me, if you are looking for noticeable sound improvement, speakers and room treatments are the best bang for the buck.

I say try your 3910 and see what you think. I have compared mine to 3 other players and it is the best.........
i think i will.thanks

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
I love my Rotel RCD 1072. This is my second Rotel player. My first was the RCD 855.

R

ronrags

Audioholic Intern
I too was looking into a dedicated player (see my thread from a few weeks back). I compared my Denon 2200 to an Arcam CD player and an Arcam universal player and had to really listen hard to hear much or any difference depending upon the type of music. I previously compared the 2200 to a friend's 3910 and that too was hard to hear much difference.

For my own curiosity, I plan to compare my 2200 vs. the new Cambridge Audio 740c cd player ($1100) with upsampling and twin DAC's as soon as my dealer receives it in stock. I also plan to compare it to a Linn player ($2500). I agree with David that the best bang for the buck for sound improvement is speakers and sound treatments.

I agree with the other guys, stick with the 3910.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I'm still going to use the 3910 specifically for sacd/dvda.Another player that was recommended to me was the eastern electric minimax.I checked various reviews and such and it gets alot of rave reviews.It's a tube player which i have no experience with but sounds almost too good according to several reviews and personal contacts.I may look into the minimax if the rotel rcd 1072 doesnt fall in my lap.we'll see.Any opinions on the minimax is also very welcome.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'm still going to use the 3910 specifically for sacd/dvda.Another player that was recommended to me was the eastern electric minimax.I checked various reviews and such and it gets alot of rave reviews.It's a tube player which i have no experience with but sounds almost too good according to several reviews and personal contacts.I may look into the minimax if the rotel rcd 1072 doesnt fall in my lap.we'll see.Any opinions on the minimax is also very welcome.
Ill chime in here. Its a waste of money since you already have a great CD player. You won't hear any difference between it and your 3910 but if you do you might as well get this since its the best cd player every made.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
don't forget the benefits a rotel player will give him ...
-matching looks with his other equipment
-12v trigger
-faster loading/playing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis